Pop-up on Winnipeg?

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have experience fishing out of a pop up house on winnepeg? I like fishing out of a pop up a guy gets more room with less to carry and drag around vs a sled/flip over. But I know how the weather and wind can be up on winnepeg am I asking for trouble if it gets windy up there and I am trying to set up the pop up? Should I just go with the pop up or take the flip over that I have fished out of the last couple years?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next time I go up I'm bringing both. Pop up is very nice for the room and landing big fish. If its windy I'll just use the flip-over.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
the majority of Canadians seem to use hub houses. I suspect it is because they are less expensive. anchor it down well and you will be fine. I prefer my flip over.

Bluegill

I prefer to use a pop up vs a flip over up there. With the lake conditions up there I'd rather not pull my flip over on that lake. I've seen a few pieces from torn up sleds laying up there

Bluegill

Haha. You are probably right on that. I have the Jason Mitchell flip over and I know that sled would never make the trip. The otters are a lot more durable

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive never understood why everyone says that lake is so hard on stuff. Do you guys go 5th gear pinned and not look back the whole time?

fishman

Founding Member
Founding Member
We like flip overs because we move a lot, Hubs are good for a base station and fish frys when its cold

Bluegill

I have never had anything break on me while I've been up there I have seen plenty of broken equipment laying on the ice. When there's a lot of snow the lake is usually pretty easy going. When there's not much some of them ice shard patches can be pretty nasty lookin. And after watching the way the locals up there drive their vehicles across the lake I'd never want to own any of those.

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been going to Lake Winnipeg since 2009. Each year I come back with a new plan. I started with an old sled with a flip-over towed by a rope....wow, that was an experience!!

I have broken far too many things travelling across "Big Windy", so I have upgraded to an Arctic Cat T570 where I removed the 2-up passenger seat and installed in its place a "36" X 20" tool type durable box, installed rod holders on the box to keep rods upright and safe, installed the digger auger rack on the bumper and upgraded the pos Frabill tow bar to a spring loaded tow bar made by another company (don't remember brand).

The reason is my Frabill tow bar broke at the weld flipping my Frabill Predator breaking nearly everything inside of it as well as the tub. (I was crossing a pressure ridge that was 6' high) Got a new tub and towbar, now my Frabill tows "empty" across the lake.

The reason for this "history" dialogue is to explain why this year I will be using my hub. I have rigged my sled to handle everything I need and no longer "need" the flip over tub to haul things. The hub is roomier, warmer and without wind, just as fast to set up. I have made pull straps to fasten the hub to the sled to anchor quickly with possibly only needing to put in two ice anchors in the corners when 20mph winds.

I'll bring my Frabill with "just in case" the winds are too much to battle, the hub will be my plan this year.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive never understood why everyone says that lake is so hard on stuff. Do you guys go 5th gear pinned and not look back the whole time?

I think a couple reason for this is if there isn't much snow the the ice is pretty rough at times and a guy puts on a lot more miles up there moving around and just getting out to your spot or spots. The other reason is if its 20 below out and a you are at home local lake you probably don't go out fishing unless its a really good bite, if you make the trip up to Winnipeg and it is that cold you say well we came all this way to go fishing so you bundle up and go give er hell. And if its that cold things break easier and don't work the way the they are supposed to. Just my thoughts luckily I haven't had no major issues up there yet either. Probably just jinxed myself for the next trip now.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha isn't that the truth! I said to myself I would NEVER buy a used 4x4 anything from southern Manitoba, those guys are nuts! Getting stuck over and over all day just to say you took your truck out icefishing makes no sense what so ever to me. And I also agree with the wrecking of equipment, take your time and have a couple pieces of thick foam and a good tie down strap system and you really don't have many problems. I like taking both the pop up and flip over as well depending on the weather that day.

I have never had anything break on me while I've been up there I have seen plenty of broken equipment laying on the ice. When there's a lot of snow the lake is usually pretty easy going. When there's not much some of them ice shard patches can be pretty nasty lookin. And after watching the way the locals up there drive their vehicles across the lake I'd never want to own any of those.

Jimhardy

Hey all ,
a comment from a Lake Winnipeg local ... i have been fishing the lake for many years and have changed my tactics over the years based on who I am fishing with. By myself its either the quad and tow behind flip or the FJ Cruiser and a hub style pop up. But I have good quality winter gear and prefer to just stand /sit at the hole and fish ... if there is no fish in 20 minutes I move and only once I am onto fish will I set up a shelter. ( unless is - 200 degrees and you need the shelter to function.)
Over the years I have spoken to many guys and it all seems to be either personal preference or price. in most cases it is " how cheap can I buy a shelter" but those are the people only going out a few times a year.
Always enjoy meeting you guys on the ice so if you see a guy flagging you down on a Honda quad .... it just me wanting to say Hi!

Take care
Jim

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made 5 trips to Big Windy over the years and every year I have a better way of doing things. A lot of broken items came back with me. Rods are always in a hard side case (Frabill) because of broken rods in a soft case. Destroyed a vex gens box that exploded in my otter sled, A couple of big buddy heaters came back in pieces, Destroyed everything plastic on an Eskimo auger engine (Eskimo was great and sent me replacement parts at no charge, Busted welds on an auger flight (again Eskimo was great about it), Too many little things to list. A local last year told me to put anything you don't want broken "on Suspension" (mount to your sled or atv). I am in the process of building a rack for my sled prior to the march trip! The only thing that has not broke is my Otter Lodge! That thing is a tank. I have seen a hub or 2 flying across the lake with people chasing it on windy days. Our group does bring a few hubs as well. They can be a real pain in the ass to put up/take down when the wind picks up.

Jimhardy

Hey Callem'In - I hear ya. - everything is mounted on the quad and the flip tub is empty. - this is a great thread because lots of guys want to know how to fish big windy but I never been asked much about equipment and the differences between the small lake and river fishing and fishing a big lake like ours.
in the spring usually 3-4 pop ups are found in the bush as we canoe the shore on the west side on ice out and we always wonder how far they traveled.

Bluegill

We are up in Winnipeg right now fishing the west side to the mouth The ice seems much rougher than it has in years past there is not much snow on the lake to cover all the broken ice. There will be plenty of broken gear up here this year

Jimhardy

well we went from extreme cold to crazy warm and now the lake is one big puddle of water on top of great ice . . makes travel much easier in trucks and we will have to see what it does when it freezes again . lots of big fish put on the ice this weekend on the west side and hearing the east side did well also.
Jim

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88