Public meeting in Garrison: Pipilines under Sak proposed

onpoint!

Established Member
Saw the notice for Public Hearing about the proposals for laying pipelines under Lake Sak. I understand there are at least a couple of versions, and that there has been virtually ZERO comments opposing any plan. i believe one approach is to "water-trench" a depression in the floor and lay pipe into it, then cover that with silt. If that's truly the case, who'd think that's a good idea? Even if you'd bury the pipeline, is anyone on here confident we wouldn't lose our great fishery due to leaks/breaks over time??

Maybe I'm out-of-touch; maybe we should trust the oil companies to lay a leak-proof pipeline under this amazing waterway; maybe a little spill would be caught and the remedy effective; maybe the other spills we've read about have been hyped by GreenPeace.

I'm not anti-oil. But it seems the state has sold out to oil production at any cost. Hope to see and hear some of you sportsmen at the Monday meeting in Garrison 3/28 at 5:30 (Soup/sandwiches provided, meeting starts at 6:00 with open mic expected).

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't be concerned at all.
Just look at how it's gone out in the oil fields....
Don't have many leaks out there.....
Plus they have an excellent track record....
And with the strict inspections.....
Then with all the huge fines oil companies pay when there is a leak....
I know the ND government always is looking out for what's best...
They would never put a fishery like that at risk....
Our government has never been influenced by the money of big oil...

Yeah this pipeline is bullshit and nobody can stop it

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw the notice for Public Hearing about the proposals for laying pipelines under Lake Sak. I understand there are at least a couple of versions, and that there has been virtually ZERO comments opposing any plan. i believe one approach is to "water-trench" a depression in the floor and lay pipe into it, then cover that with silt. If that's truly the case, who'd think that's a good idea? Even if you'd bury the pipeline, is anyone on here confident we wouldn't lose our great fishery due to leaks/breaks over time??

Maybe I'm out-of-touch; maybe we should trust the oil companies to lay a leak-proof pipeline under this amazing waterway; maybe a little spill would be caught and the remedy effective; maybe the other spills we've read about have been hyped by GreenPeace.

I'm not anti-oil. But it seems the state has sold out to oil production at any cost. Hope to see and hear some of you sportsmen at the Monday meeting in Garrison 3/28 at 5:30 (Soup/sandwiches provided, meeting starts at 6:00 with open mic expected).

I do hope you keep us posted, this proposal needs support even from the Devils Lake Basin.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If oil needs to cross Sak, my preference would be for an above water pipeline so any leaks would be readily apparent and fixed rather than having it seep out over a long time doing damage before anyone notices there is a problem. I don't give a damn about the costs either. I hope the ND legislature has the balls and foresight to FORCE big oil to construct the most ecologically sound crossing possible and not the cheapest, fastest, and most mickey mouse so they can pad their pockets more. Heck, the fishermen would even benefit as they would have more structure to hold fish and would probably be the first ones to notice a leak. Just my thoughts though.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're also going under the Mo. River. Planning on going just north of SR rez. Of course the tribe, and its members are very vocal against it. But they're just wacko natives, no one wants to be on their side. What could possibly go wrong. :::

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most here can't make the meeting but we should give you some ammunition to shoot off at the meeting. IMO, the pipeline company should be required to pay wages for a panel of informed sportsmen from NDA to supervise the entire project from the bird's eye view from their own boat on the water. At the very minimum, There should be 12 sportsmen on the water and on the payroll at all times during daylight hours. Given the location the contract should include a remote camp for workers and their families with indoor and outdoor recreation and a camp cook on duty 24/7 .
Ok enough dreaming, I like the above water ideas. I remember the old Newtown bridge had a couple pipelines attached to it , Probably for freshwater supply or were they oil pipelines ?
I too hope they are held to strict standards from an ecology standpoint at any cost.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most here can't make the meeting but we should give you some ammunition to shoot off at the meeting. IMO, the pipeline company should be required to pay wages for a panel of informed sportsmen from NDA to supervise the entire project from the bird's eye view from their own boat on the water. At the very minimum, There should be 12 sportsmen on the water and on the payroll at all times during daylight hours. Given the location the contract should include a remote camp for workers and their families with indoor and outdoor recreation and a camp cook on duty 24/7 . Ok enough dreaming. I like the above water ideas , I remember the old Newtown bridge had a couple pipelines , Probably for freshwater supply. I too hope they are held to strict standards from an ecology standpoint.
:;:exactly

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's going to be a HDD pipeline right? There will be nothing to watch other than seeing the bit come out and backreaming right?

someone needs to carry huge cleanup insurance policy on it for the life of the pipeline, no bankruptcy excuses with the state/feds (taxpayers) picking up the tab if disaster strikes

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is the company is pushing hard for the hydro trench installation instead of HDD. Somewhere I read the preliminary plan for the HDD, If I remember right it was overkill. Something like 100' below the river bed , That would put them in an aquifer. I think HDD would be less stress on pipe installation but the lake will clean itself if there is a leak, The aquifer won't .

norbz24

Not that it makes it ok, but there are already pipelines running under the lake and have been there for 30+ years.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is the company is pushing hard for the hydro trench installation instead of HDD. Somewhere I read the preliminary plan for the HDD, If I remember right it was overkill. Something like 100' below the river bed , That would put them in an aquifer. I think HDD would be less stress on pipe installation but the lake will clean itself if there is a leak, The aquifer won't .

Can you post any illustrations/videos of how such a hydro trenching project is done? Fascinating for me.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you post any illustrations/videos of how such a hydro trenching project is done? Fascinating for me.

I saw it in the NG or discovery channel and was amazed of the simplicity of it, They basically lay the pipe or cable on the bottom and undermine it with high pressure jetting. I didn't give it my full undivided attention but I believe they were burying a cable or power line out to an Island. The operation was monitored from a ship that lowered a tracked vehicle with jetting nozzles down to the ocean floor via big ass winches, The tracks straddled the cable and drove along as it jetted the trench. The crew monitored the operation from the ship.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that it makes it ok, but there are already pipelines running under the lake and have been there for 30+ years.

I think a Co2 line is under the lake. Haven't heard of other products. A crude break would be devastating.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem I see is with a man made lake is they would pretty much build bed of rocks that will fall in the trench. Not sure how much that really matters with steel but I'm pretty sure having a rock free bedding is in all the specs. If not it should be. Almost all leaks start from the inside from corrosion, That makes a guy wonder what condition those 30 year old lines are in and who is monitoring them. Seems to me it was Charlson ND, West of Newtown, where we could never find the corrosion rings that we put in the drill stem to measure corrosion, it was that bad.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53