Radon Mitigation

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
This topic will probably generate alot of "who gives a rip" comments, cause I tend to agree. But we recently moved and radon levels are high in the new place and my wife would like a mitigation system put in for peace of mind. I dont feel like arguing, or messing with it myself.....so I am turning to the experts of NDA for advice.

I was wondering if anyone had any reputable contractors they could suggest in the Bismarck area. Or tips, do's, don't...ya know the general feedback.

Thanks!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[MENTION=667]Sluggo[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

I installed my own. It was “easy” and a PITA at the same time. Ha ha.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a guy that I talked with in Bismarck when we lived there, he said his house had a sump hole with drain tile piping all around the footings of the house and maybe even underneathe the house (I can't remember which) anyway he put a hole in the sump hole cover and put a pipe in there that fit the diameter of the hole he cut and put some kind of fan that sucked it out and had the pipe exiting the house. Said it worked slicker than snot and was super cheap and lowered his readings.
Might try Googling it or Menards maybe?
If doing the above I would put a union on the pipes just in case the sump pump dies or you need to get in the sump pump hole for something.

Last edited:

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used Active Radon Management when we did ours. I want to say it was $1,000 if you had power there and an extra $250 if they had to get an electrician to run power. I had zero complaints with them. The install looked good, they showed up on time and got it done in shirt order. Depending on how yours lays it can be a pain to run everything up through the attic. In my case it was definitely worth it to pay someone.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was Radon even a problem as a child?
Hmm.
?
Guessing another made up wives tail? $$$

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole radon deals rides the same train as the Wuhan flu lol

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole radon deals rides the same train as the Wuhan flu lol

Are you possibly getting dumber by the fugging day?

Radon is a serious health concern because it's a radioactive by-product of uranium's decay. Levels above 4 picocuries is above the acceptable level. There was a 20-something fella in the Jamestown area that died of lung cancer after having never smoked a cigarette in his life all because his bedroom (in the basement) was where he sat and played video games while he breathed in excessive radon. If I remember correctly, the radon levels in his room were around 20. Jesus Christ, do a little reading sometime.

The real reason radon is not a big concern in this state is because realtors don't want it to be a deal breaker. One would hate to miss out on a damn commission.

There are lots of ways to mitigate radon levels, all depends on the layout and original construction of your home. An active radon mitigation strategy will cost anywhere between $500 and $5,000 depending on the levels and what is needed to lower it. Without the specs on the home being discussed, it's impossible to know where it falls on the spectrum. Basically, one needs to find a way to vent it outside, whether that can be done with a passive system or if you need an active (powered fan sucking on the underground) venting program is something that you don't know until you look at the place in its entirety.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. Every home should be checked about every 5 years. Construction disturbance can slow it's showing up in your basement, but the natural cracking of a home's foundation can open pathways into your home over time. So one measurement is not sufficient in the long-term.

Last edited:

bilbo

Honored Member
We are going to be doing this as soon as our siding is done. We haven't checked the levels yet, but if our past run of luck continues I'm sure it will be sky high, so I'm just planning out the system. There are now online Radon monitors available and I plan to get one and watch for a while before and long after the system is installed. We have one sump hole in the basement that has no piping into it and I think I'll use that. The other sump pit is tied into drain tile that sees daylight, so if I draw on that sump I'm guessing it will just pull surface air through the tile.

It's purely conjecture, but we believe it may have been a factor in my Mom's recent death from lung cancer. Their previous home was in an area where Radon tends to be high. They lived there for 25+ years and hung out mostly in the basement. Slept down there too. There was no mitigation system, nobody knew or cared back then. Thinking it's not a health concern is foolish in my opinion. It's widely accepted radiation is a health concern. It's a fact that Radon is radioactive. Therefore, Radon could cause health issues.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the AirThings monitor is awesome

interesting to move it around before/during/after

good for peace of mind

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy, did I get a crash course in Radon in the last 6 months....also in Bismarck. You're installers are limited. I went with: Grayghost Construction-Radon Mitigation. I called Dan and asked for references and he gave me several without hesitation. I called a couple and were positive recommendations. After the install, my levels dropped but did not get down below 4. Dan continued to work to improve it and readings have been between 1-3 since the last modification so I believe we got it. He was waiting to charge me until I was satisfied with it which I thought was decent, our agreed upon price was $1200 so that's what I am expecting to get billed. I also bought a AirThings detector so I can monitor the levels. I got the digital, battery operated unit for about $140...model 223 I believe. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
and guywhoadvisedsluggo gets no mention

#rodneydangerfieldlives

Sorry. Guywhoadvisedsluggo did a great job of explaining how systems work and which radon detector is best and being a trusted advisor throughout the whole, several month long, affair. I'm sure I would be dead by now if it was not for him and his wealth of knowledge.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think 2 or 3 years ago someone died in Casselton from to much radon exposure?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. Guywhoadvisedsluggo did a great job of explaining how systems work and which radon detector is best and being a trusted advisor throughout the whole, several month long, affair. I'm sure I would be dead by now if it was not for him and his wealth of knowledge.

LOL

I knew you’d stick the classic dagger in at the end

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a dehumidifier in my basement, so far it has kept the humidity down, and saves on air-conditioning.

Radon in a walk out basement? never bothered to check, but I do suddenly care.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are going to be doing this as soon as our siding is done. We haven't checked the levels yet, but if our past run of luck continues I'm sure it will be sky high, so I'm just planning out the system. There are now online Radon monitors available and I plan to get one and watch for a while before and long after the system is installed. We have one sump hole in the basement that has no piping into it and I think I'll use that. The other sump pit is tied into drain tile that sees daylight, so if I draw on that sump I'm guessing it will just pull surface air through the tile.

It's purely conjecture, but we believe it may have been a factor in my Mom's recent death from lung cancer. Their previous home was in an area where Radon tends to be high. They lived there for 25+ years and hung out mostly in the basement. Slept down there too. There was no mitigation system, nobody knew or cared back then. Thinking it's not a health concern is foolish in my opinion. It's widely accepted radiation is a health concern. It's a fact that Radon is radioactive. Therefore, Radon could cause health issues.

Actually, if you can "seal" off the sump that is connected to the drain tiling and vent it out of the house, that would be my suggestion. One has to get a little inventive to actually put an underpressure on the drain tile using the sump pit, but it can be done. The advantage to doing so is that the drain tile will serve as the collection system and pull on the vapors emanating from the soil around the entire perimeter of the house. If you have another sump hole that isn't connected to the drain tile, it will have only a limited to no effect on the other end of the house.

- - - Updated - - -

Bilbo,

If I assume correctly, you're home is under construction. If possible can you dig down to the drain tile on the exterior of your house? If so, tapping into it would allow you to put a vent on it outside your basement. Then you can seal off the sump to see if that keeps the radon levels low enough.

bilbo

Honored Member
Actually, if you can "seal" off the sump that is connected to the drain tiling and vent it out of the house, that would be my suggestion. One has to get a little inventive to actually put an underpressure on the drain tile using the sump pit, but it can be done. The advantage to doing so is that the drain tile will serve as the collection system and pull on the vapors emanating from the soil around the entire perimeter of the house. If you have another sump hole that isn't connected to the drain tile, it will have only a limited to no effect on the other end of the house.

- - - Updated - - -

Bilbo,

If I assume correctly, you're home is under construction. If possible can you dig down to the drain tile on the exterior of your house? If so, tapping into it would allow you to put a vent on it outside your basement. Then you can seal off the sump to see if that keeps the radon levels low enough.

That's good info, Allen, thank you. It seems my house is always under some form of construction! It's a 1970s vintage house so not under new construction, but we did the tile a couple of years back around the outside of the house due to water issues in the basement. I added a sump outside, just a culvert turned on end with a concrete floor and tied the tile into that. It has a lid but as far as gases are concerned it's open to atmosphere. The inside sumps are also not sealed. If I understand you correctly, sealing those combined with the open exterior sump pit may allow for enough venting.

I was going to wait until siding is finished, but maybe I'll get the meter and check things now. If I don't have to do the Radon vent I wont' have to block out a wall penetration for it and that would be nice.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Ryan Lindberg has a radon mitigation business. I’m not sure if he’s a member on here but I know someone here will have his number. He’s someone I would very much trust setting a system up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 3