Radon Mitigation

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One last thing, I leave my home's furnace fan on 24/7. I figure that has to help keep the air moving throughout the house, and since the dog is in and out all day, I get plenty of fresh air introduced during the course of the day.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
One last thing, I leave my home's furnace fan on 24/7. I figure that has to help keep the air moving throughout the house, and since the dog is in and out all day, I get plenty of fresh air introduced during the course of the day.[/QUOTE]
I would have thought the same thing when we tested our house. The first time we did it it was barely over 4 with the fan off and little to no air movement. The 2nd time we did it we left the fan run for the entire test period and tested in the exact location. The 2nd test actually came back at near 7. I'm not sure if that was just a fluke but we put in the mitigation system after that just to be safe. The first test was in the fall and 2nd was in the spring so not sure how much of a factor that was. The number on their meter after the install was .5 and we did another home test and it was under 1.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
We bought the house last fall and our inspection came back at 11. So I suppose I better get this lined up sooner than later.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When you sample, the longer time frame of your test will give you the most accurate results. Typically a large commercial or military building will have a 90 day test to cover liability. Real estate transactions typically run a 24-48 hour test. With a longer timeframe, samples are collected under “normal” living conditions. On shorter time frames, the sample should be collected under “closed building conditions.” So no fans, no windows, no heat/ac/, no doors open longer than typical, etc. It doesn’t take much to bias a sample by slightly changing any of them things up. People get all bent out of shape when doing home transactions because they believe the closed building conditions are not representative of every day life and they will disregard a hot reading. It’s just the only way to sample in a short period of time without potentially missing something. And in my experience, even a closed building reading in the short term will be biased low. After completing additional long term sampling, exposure risk typically comes back hotter. After purchase, I’d still recommend everyone do a long term test in your home. Because of all the earthquakes I have at my house, I do a long term test in my crawl space and living space once a year.

You gotta be a damn moron to not take it seriously. Fifty years ago there was no such thing as cancer either, a bunch of people just died at 60 of natural causes……

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like if you go through a realtor a home inspection should have forced the seller to install one before the sale ? I just remember my boy sold a house and he had to take care of it before the closing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
circulating air within the house is ineffective

imagine having a pile of crap in the basement - permanently

what’s effective at removing the odor - recirculating or venting the air over that pile of crap directly out of the house?

- - - Updated - - -

que the lazy son who won’t move out jokes

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
TIf I understand you correctly, sealing those combined with the open exterior sump pit may allow for enough venting.

I was going to wait until siding is finished, but maybe I'll get the meter and check things now. If I don't have to do the Radon vent I wont' have to block out a wall penetration for it and that would be nice.

Yep, seal that interior sump and at a minimum use the exterior one as a chimney. If that doesn't lower it enough, then install a small fan and exhaust pipe to one of the sumps to put a slight draw on the vapors coming from the ground. That would be the order of steps I'd take.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way I figured is that nasties are cumulative.

I’ve been poisoning myself with a myriad of bad habits all my life. If I can eliminate one that brings no joy (like booze, etc.) then why not?

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought a house in MN and the levels were just over the threshold and the seller had to install prior to closing. Sealed sump basket and and a fan draws on area and vents above house. Levels came right down. Simple and effective, i now just have an ugly white pVC pipe running up the side of my house.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I installed a system in my house last year I also provided a removable threaded part so I can attempt to purge humid air from the area of my basement floor. I do this roughly (1) day per week. My dehumidifier has yet to run this year. It is set at 55% relative humidity. radon piping.jpg

Attachments

radon piping.jpg

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got my tester yesterday. Initial 24 hour reading is at 6... damn..

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe Ryan Lindberg has a radon mitigation business. I’m not sure if he’s a member on here but I know someone here will have his number. He’s someone I would very much trust setting a system up

SECOND THIS. Ryan is out of Fargo but he does travel quite a bit for his work. Dakota Radon is the business name. He found a plethora of defects with the system i had installed. Also, the installer should offer a free recheck after the system is installed/stabilized.

Air things is top notch for radon detection. I use the Correntium Pro when testing homes and always run a 72 hour test. I'll price match anyone in the Bis-Man area who's looking for a radon test and offer a variety of public service discounts.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone tell me why they vent out the side of the house in many cases? I think I could get up into the corner of my garage, then take it up into my garage attic with a couple elbows and out the roof. More pipe should not be enough to hurt the flow. I've seen them countless times ran up the outside wall and hate it. Just curious.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's cheaper, that's all. One hole in a wall vs hole in wall, hole in ceiling, and hole in roof.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also read that the fewer the elbows, the better the air flow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 9
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3