Reloading for first timer

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
One little bit I'll add because I didn't see anyone else post it is this: ladder tests. There are videos on youtube that explain how to do a ladder test when developing a load. It's pretty simple really. The goal is to find what is called an "accuracy node". Basically, load 1 round at the minimum load recommended by whatever manual you are using, then in .2grain increments work your way up to max load loading 1 round at each increment. Once you've reached max recommended load, go shoot. Start at your lightest load and work your way up to the heaviest, checking each spent case for over-pressure signs. What you are looking for in this ladder test is as you work your way up from minimum to maximum load, somewhere in the middle you'll end up with a few rounds that don't gain in elevation on the target, or velocity on the chrono. Once you find those 3 or 4 rounds where there is no real change, thats call the "accuracy node" for your gun/load. Pick the middle of the node for powder charge and from there you can start fine tuning your bullet seating depth to tighten up your groups.

This is good advice, but works best if you fire them at 300+ yards. Otherwise, it may be hard to get enough separation to tell. That's another place where the chronograph comes into play. It's the same idea, but instead of looking for bullets that group together vertically, you're looking for velocity flat spots. You can even nerd-out with Excel like I do:
87VmaxLadderTestChart.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its nice to be able to build your ammo to fit your gun. Don't shoot near as much as I used too so have enough ammo to last the rest of my shooting days unless I go crazy.Now days I just check my reloading stuff twice a year to make sure its in good shape clean wise.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like a lot of people like the RCBS presses. I prefer the Hornady ones for the lock-n-load feature myself. Very fast and easy to switch between dies without resetting them all the time.
Also, IMO, the RCBS Charge Master is a requirement. It makes the most tedious part (powder measurement) easy.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its nice to be able to build your ammo to fit your gun. Don't shoot near as much as I used too so have enough ammo to last the rest of my shooting days unless I go crazy.Now days I just check my reloading stuff twice a year to make sure its in good shape clean wise.
I went through 150 rounds of Creedmoor last week. I keep this up I'll need a new barrel in two years. Right now I am playing with the Nosler 130 RDF. I don't know why I bother when the 143 ELD-X already groups under .2 inches.

I think the reason I have been shooting so much is that I have .003 to .007 bullet run out. I do think that at last I found the problem. I bought RCBS Gold Medal Match bushing dies. My neck thickness was .013 to .016 and I turned them all to .013. The problem is the bushings should be set loose so they center on the neck. Well that leaves them .003 off automatically after turning the necks. So I run them through standard dies and sure enough .001 run out. I want to control neck tension to control powder burn etc so now I have an extra step. Size with standard dies, clean cases, open with expander die, neck size, resize with bushing dies, then prime and load.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use a Lyman turret press for bullet seating for my six most often reloaded cartridges. I just leave those seating dies in place.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77