Rifle Deer Hunting Boredom

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't want to hi jack Allen's Moose hunt thread so who else has rifle bordem? What do you do to cure it?

I have started using different rifles, shooting archery more and even the dreaded...planning on heading east for an OTC deer hunt with the slug gun this year. Probably the cheapest OTC buck tag in the US??

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had that problem for awhile I collected guns and had so many I got bored I started hunting with pistols and archery and muzzy if I ever get drawn lol but then I got back the rifle itch I challenged myself with longer range and precision reloading also helps keep this interesting working different loads finding what works with what guns many different ways to keep things interesting

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually use my "good" rifles for the first week of season hoping for a big buck but by the second weekend i'm grabbing some random guns from the safe to try. I enjoy the M1 garand and sitting with an AR15-A1 that i built for my dad to mimic his that he carried in Vietnam. The M1A comes out every now and again along with the model 94 30-30.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The problem with "new cartridges" is that they've already improve that lightbulb to last longer. Everything else is a novelty.

300 Win Mag
12 g

Done.

Of course I don't listen to my own logic....what fun is that.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife got the only tag this year so I get the living room watch and she gets to shoot out the kitchen window. Buddy stopped by while mowing ditches and cleared a nice shooting lane out back. With the way corn was planted around our place the deer traffic will be good. Have been watching some nice does and yearlings pass through and munch on what left of our apple trees. Wife will practice this week end on targets I have set out at different ranges. Her turn to fill the deep frez. LB

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
How can you get bored when it takes like 6 years to draw a tag?
If you're bored with your rifle, you're not challenging yourself. Strech it out on some long-range steel and see how you do.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
How can you get bored when it takes like 6 years to draw a tag?
If you're bored with your rifle, you're not challenging yourself. Strech it out on some long-range steel and see how you do.
Thats what makes it boring hunting with my rifles. I set my personal limit around 600 yards on deer depending on wind. Past that it doesn't take much for me to screw up a shot. It's not to hard to get within 600 yards of a deer when the property i hunt is only 880 yards wide.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just go for hard to draw tag and then i look for big deer. Got an east river any deer tag this year its 180 or bust looking for another big mulie.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to always take pride in being the average guy who mostly hunted public land. The goal wasn't a certain score of a buck, but simply to take the biggest buck in the area I hunted. That kept me going for a long time without boredom setting in. Then along came the kids and I took pride in being able to make it an overall quality experience. Now the boy is off to college and the daughter retired at 16 from hunting right after pulling the trigger on a 170 inch muley.

Since the dog passed this last summer, I don't even have the urge to bird hunt.

Fishing is my primary hobby nowadays. The ML for the moose was nice, but all I have left in the big 3 is a sheep tag, and I ain't counting on that one.

In the coming years, I am contemplating some odd hunts. Alligator, maybe a bear (although, I'm not excited to eat it), musk ox, caribou are just a few I'm considering. What I really should do is take up furbearer hunting. A mountain lion would be cool, and of course...there are always coyotes in need of some lead, but a wolf hunt would be fun!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 466
  • This month: 204
  • This month: 165
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74