Salmon fishing

Walleye_guru

Looking to catch a salmon,. Heard they were in government bay. Wondering if they are still there and biting

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I tried last Friday. Only takers was a smallmouth and a pike.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have a chance in government, the spillway area, scoria bay and a few other nameless areas. This year is not as good as some IMO. I was up there last weekend and the bays mentioned were pretty busy with people. Not that you can't find a spot to fish but don't expect to have it to your self. I witnessed a lot of people fishing after sundown and before sunup too. I saw a few fish caught but not many considering the number of people fishing. I think the bobbers are starting to out produce other presentations. Good luck.

Walleye_guru

Very informative, thanks. Not sure where scoria is, but I will give government a chance. Fresh smoked salmon is on my mind.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very informative, thanks. Not sure where scoria is, but I will give government a chance. Fresh smoked salmon is on my mind.

Several of the bays have several names, informal or not.

Government bay is more or less on the east end of the dam itself. Scoria bay would be on the west end. There are a series of bays on either end, and any of them can produce fish one day, and not the next.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried it from shore Saturday night. Casting spoons, cranks and Mepps. No takers, lot of splashers.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out on Saturday. At about 8AM I saw a shore fisherman in government bay had one fish. Launched the boat and fished there for a bit with no luck. Headed over to rodeo bay and saw one boat pull in a fish. There were several other boats there and numerous people on shore with bobbers and spoons, but I didn't see any other fish caught there. Went around the corner and up in the bay past the state park marina but didn't catch any despite seeing fish break the surface a number of times. Saw another person with one fish right as we pulled back into government bay to load out.

Maybe it was just the wrong time of day since we weren't there right away at sunrise and didn't stay through to sunset, but it was pretty slow. Lots of people out there and only 3 people with one fish each that I saw.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished Government bay last Thursday, we missed four trying to set the hook when they bit on the fifth bite we let the salmon set the hook not so fast to grab the rod and after that worked we got a total of three, I was using a number nine shad rap orange in color 100 ft behind the boat. My first-time salmon fishing what a blast bringing them into the boat

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was on shore most of the weekend. Worked the 3 main bays ( government, spillway, and rodeo) caught some Pike and bass, didn't even see many salmon get caught. Sounds like it slowed down quite a bit from talking to people, definitely not the same as last year

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scoria bay = rodeo bay = the east boat ramp in the state park near the swimming beach

Walleye_guru

Went to government bay Friday. Lots of salmon rolling and jumping. Seen one boat pulling flashers, he had two. 10 people on shore, none including me and my brother, caught any fish. Left around 7:30 to go try tailrace. One northern. Seen two northern caught, both around 12 lbs.thanks to nice gentleman in the pontoon we came home with 2 salmon to smoke. Was nice of him to ask if I wanted them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33