Skinning deer with an air compressor

Hammer

After watching a few videos on YouTube, I'm thinking of trying it this yr. Has anyone done this before? One video I watched, the guy said there was still quite a bit of knife work involved after airing it up, but that was on a coyote so not sure how it compares to a deer. Does this really work as easy as it looks? How much time does this actually save? Any tips to share from those that have tried this?

Hammer

Hahaha... I know it doesn't take that much to do it the old fashioned way. Just wanted to try it. Curiosity has me.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to try air skinning a coyote this year. I would think it should work decently on a deer as long as you don't split it open to gut it first.... if you split it open to gut it I think it'd be a waste of time to try air skinning.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skinning a deer can be done way quicker by cutting from asshole to the chin than back of skull down the back to base of tail. Ring the neck and pull the hide off in 2 pieces. Way faster!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the loader tractor hang my deer anyway so I pull the hide off with it too . Fastest and cleanest way I know how to skin a deer.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hanging head down and skinning while still warm is the cleanest and quickest I have found. Just dont think the air method would work that well on a field dressed deer.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick, but not always clean. I’ve seen ropes break, deer fall, shot up 1/4’s pulled off with hide, etc. Its a great laugh when it’s not your deer.

Yea the first time I tried wasn't very time saving or clean but I had a whole year to think about what went wrong and what I would do different. I feel like it's cheating , It's very important for young hunters to know how to properly skin and process big game with no other tools than a knife. For me though , I grew up doing shit the hard way and didn't like it. Same with shot up 1/4s

- - - Updated - - -

The air skinning is intriguing , I can see where it would work great in some applications.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll do it once and then go back to the old way. I think we all try to cut corners on deer processing at least once in our lives. Just to convince ourselves the old way is still the best way. Mine was the golf ball in the hide trick. When the rope broke and the 3/4 skinned carcass hit the dirty concrete floor was the last time I tried to cut a corner.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am assuming you just shoot some air betwixt the hide and carcass. won't said air just leak out the hole where the animal was shot?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We tried it with a basketball needle more or less just to see what would happen. It worked ok on the legs and I can see where a taxidermist might like it for small critters and maybe skulls .

Hammer

On whether the air will escape thru the bullet wound...From what I understand, if you wait a couple-three hours, no.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33