Spear fishing for walleye

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
Maybe it was never the rules, I for one reason or another was told, and have always believed 10" was the rules.

Guessing I should look at the rules for once in my lifetime, rather than letting what the fags I fish with always telling me what I can and cant do...
Probably is/was a rule in MN

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it was never the rules, I for one reason or another was told, and have always believed 10" was the rules.

Guessing I should look at the rules for once in my lifetime, rather than letting what the fags I fish with always telling me what I can and cant do...
There was a 12'' rule before the spearing days. It stems from back in the days before people had ice augers and ice chisels to make a fish hole. I used a chainsaw when I was a kid and one day a game warden came along and threatened to nab me for too big of a square hole.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I use a hand axe early ice. Its nice carrying less weight. I think others fish both MN and ND so the laws get mixed up in peoples minds. As a general a rule, ND has much mlre reasonable laws than MN. If you have to ask if something is legal in MN, it never is.

bigsky2

No different than spearing pike. They aren't typically as aggressive as pike obviously, but I've had a lot of walleye come in to the decoy even when the decoy is mid way in the water column. There have been days during last ice when the big females will come through on the exact same path, like they are migrating to their spawning areas or something. Fortunately they don't seem as interested in feeding at that time or they would be even more vulnerable. It wouldn't be out of the question to spear a limit of 10+ lb walleyes when the conditions are right.

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
No different than spearing pike. They aren't typically as aggressive as pike obviously, but I've had a lot of walleye come in to the decoy even when the decoy is mid way in the water column. There have been days during last ice when the big females will come through on the exact same path, like they are migrating to their spawning areas or something. Fortunately they don't seem as interested in feeding at that time or they would be even more vulnerable. It wouldn't be out of the question to spear a limit of 10+ lb walleyes when the conditions are right.
We'll see, I've yet to see a person claim they've speared any in ND yet

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79