Sump Pumps

Gr8tz

Established Member
My house was built in 2001 I know the previous owners quite well and they told me they have never seen water in the sump pit and after all the rain it was coming in like crazy yesterday, I guess there's a first time for everything. Quick trip to harbor freight for a pump and a hose I got it under control. Who else is pumping water with the amount of rain we've received this year?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pump has been going night and day ever since the snow melted and I live pretty high up on the west end of Mandan. Ran from ice out until nearly fall last year so I expect it will do the same this year. Kicks on about every 10-15 minutes. Should probably invest in some sort of warning device in case it quits. Anybody know where to get such a thing?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 Modest rain
2 Deluge
3 Another deluge
4 Sump slowly gaining ground

notice cycle times slowing as time passes

Attachments

IMG_8115.jpeg

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My pump has been going night and day ever since the snow melted and I live pretty high up on the west end of Mandan. Ran from ice out until nearly fall last year so I expect it will do the same this year. Kicks on about every 10-15 minutes. Should probably invest in some sort of warning device in case it quits. Anybody know where to get such a thing?
I have a Honeywell wi-fi leak and freeze detector. Hang the sensor above the pump so will get an alarm if water is higher than pump. Also has temp and humidity so will get alert if temp drops indicating heat is off.

Looks like they discontinued that device but similar are available from moen and others.

rustneversleeps

I own a hunting/ice fishing house 130 miles from Bismarck in a small town with chronic groundwater problems. I run three of these on the basement floor. They send an alarm to my phone if they detect water. One of these went off this weekend after five inches of rain. Amazon product

I run two sump pumps and monitor their activity with two of these--again, they send alerts to my phone if there are problems: Amazon product

Finally, because the hot water system would have required expensive modifications to install a smart thermostat, I went with a temperature monitor that texts me if the house temp drops below a certain level. Amazon product

And of course, three cameras.

Wifi makes things possible.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I own a hunting/ice fishing house 130 miles from Bismarck in a small town with chronic groundwater problems. I run three of these on the basement floor. They send an alarm to my phone if they detect water. One of these went off this weekend after five inches of rain. Amazon product

I run two sump pumps and monitor their activity with two of these--again, they send alerts to my phone if there are problems: Amazon product

Finally, because the hot water system would have required expensive modifications to install a smart thermostat, I went with a temperature monitor that texts me if the house temp drops below a certain level. Amazon product

And of course, three cameras.

Wifi makes things possible.

What cameras do you recommend.
I need to get on board.
Thanks

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we run yolink leak sensors. app and monitoring is free forever once purchased. i think i have 8 of them in various places. they had issues losing connection for a few minutes every once in awhile. not sure what the deal was. but, seems resolved now. under every sink, next to the washer dryer, next to the hot water heater and next to the clean out in the basement floor in case of sewer back up. pretty good piece of mind. only had one alert so far, bit of overflow from too many suds in the washing machine outlet drain.

for outdoor cameras, we run the ring floodlight cameras. can't say enough good things about those things. one at each door that essentially replaced the existing fixtures that were already there and then got rid of the power switch so some kid won't accidently turn them off.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I built 25 years ago I told the contactor I have a good contractor friend the knows how to put in drain tile, never had a problem, knock on wood.

rustneversleeps

What cameras do you recommend.
I need to get on board.
Thanks
I run Amcrests. I have four in Bismarck and three in the duck house. I'm unsure if I would recommend them as I've gone through some glitchy stretches with them. I view my computer skills as a notch or two above average, and I'm persistent as heck when I run into a problem. They're working fine now so when we head to the beach for two months next winter, Mrs. Rust will have peace of mind because she can keep an eye on her house in Bismarck and check the conditions outside. Amazon product

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88