SwimBaits

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Table of Contents

Fish and Bait Definitions

Game fish are bluegill, burbot, channel catfish, chinook salmon, crappie (black and white), largemouth bass, muskellunge (pure and hybrid), northern pike, paddlefish, sauger, saugeye, smallmouth bass, sturgeon (pallid, shovelnose and lake), trout (brown, lake, rainbow and cutthroat), walleye, white bass, yellow perch and zander.
Nongame fish are all species that inhabit and reproduce in the state’s waters that are not listed above as game fish.
Legal live baitfish are fathead minnows, creek chubs, sticklebacks and white sucker (Red and Bois de Sioux rivers only).
Other legal live bait includes all amphibians, insects and/or other invertebrates or parts thereof.
Prepared baitfish include any nongame fish (including legal live baitfish) which have been preserved by freezing, salting or otherwise treated to inactivate reproductive products. Prepared baitfish are legal bait. Nongame fish (including legal live baitfish), which have been reduced to sections, pieces or parts thereof are considered cut fish and are legal.
Yellow perch eyes, and trout and salmon eggs are legal bait.
The use of other game fish or parts thereof is illegal.
Manufactured and biodegradable bait are products manufactured as edible fishing bait and other inert biodegradable substances and are considered legal bait.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
They really need to edit the perch eye sentence. It depends on your definition of "are".

th

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to give this pork thing a try this year. I'm guessing the juice it's packed in will turn me off of these things, but if they will stay on the hook better while resisting the shredding machines of pike, it just might be worth it.

Looks like they work well, my buddy went out with jason Mitchell this past spring and he was doing good with them.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure do love walleye assassin. Not sure what it is, but have always had good luck on them.

cast&blast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Z-man Elaztech super plastics + dab of super glue on jig head collar = a rig that can catch 50+ fish (including pike) without losing a tail or getting pulled down or twisted on the jig.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
M
Sure do love walleye assassin. Not sure what it is, but have always had good luck on them.
Walleye assassins are so soft that the whole body moves like a fish, not just the tail. Compare that to a mimic minnow that has a tougher rubber and only the tail vibrates. I believe it's the whole body swimming more like a real fish that makes them so effective. Another thing to try is mixing and matching other baits and colors by welding them together with a lighter.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't over-think these things! Cast and retrieve, throw them where fish are and hang on. Keep this technique VERY basic and you'll enjoy some pretty amazing success.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha most walleye fisherman i talk to try it for about a dozen casts then say "this sucks" and go back to trolling bottom bouncers.

That's funny because that's what I say about trolling in general and go right back to casting swimbaits.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also KD, unless things have changed, they're packed in saltwater.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
swim baits are sweet. very versatile. they have a similar presentation to a lot of crank baits. but, you can fish almost any depth and or contour with them. just need to adjust your retrieve and let them sink occasionally.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49