Tent recommendations.

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in the market for a good tent and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I am currently looking at white duck canvas bell tents. It needs to be at least an 8 person tent. Mainly summertime and fall camping trips. I want to buy a decent tent that is going last a lot longer than these big box store tents that last 5 years and then you have to throw it away. Thanks for any and all help.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing beats a classic:

B64A477F-859E-431D-9997-DA36870E5A22.jpg

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're gonna need a big ass wall tent if you wanna sleep 8 adults comfortably. I'd look at Davis or Montana canvas.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sleeping 8 is a pretty tall order. I did a lot of research for family tents and the two that came up were always the North Face Wawona and the REI Kingdom. I bought the Wawona 6 and it is a sweet tent. Wife and I can have the big air mattress setup and the pack and play for the little one and have tons of walking room. The Wawona also has a huge vestibule that you can use too, so that really helps and is nice to keep things dry. We only use the tent in areas we don't want to lug a camper into and have a pretty decent tent camping setup. The Wawona was a huge game changer compared to the other tents we had used. I wouldn't hesitate with the Kingdom 6 either though.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 14 X 17 Montana Wall Tent. Canvas top, realite sides, and it sleeps 4 adults comfortably. 5 or 6 is pretty tight. I also have a table for cooking set up inside as well as a space for a heater with chimney. You'll want a heater for fall especially. I like to camp during deer season so it's more comfortable to be able to cook inside as well as a place to sit, have a beer, and play some cards. I've thought about adding an addition to the front which would then easily sleep 8. Have slept 13 - 13 to 14 year olds but that was summer and they were sleeping on the ground side by side.

The tent with realite sides and canvas top is about 1/2 the weight of all canvas but in the wind the sides also flap more. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My tent is 20 years old and still in very good shape with some repairs over the years. You don't backpack very far with this tent but it is comfortable. I use a propane heater (30,000 BTU) as opposed to a woodturning stove. In 0 degree weather I do light a sunflower heater on the far end to dress in the morning and also at night as we're sitting around visiting but we all have very good sleeping bags and cots with closed cell pads and are very comfortable. Keep in mind that comfortable is a different definition for everyone. When it's below 0 outside and I'm sleeping far away from the heater, at 35-40 degrees, with my sleeping bag I'm very comfortable, pretty sure my wife would get up in the morning and tell me "Never again."

As with all outdoor equipment, quality is important. You will get what you pay for. At the same time, when you're camping with family or friends and all there is to do at night with no electricity for the TV, etc. is to visit and go to bed early that time is priceless. I'm also at the age where I don't want to get up very often in the middle of the night to pee so I don't drink as much beer as I used to. :;:cheers

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing beats a classic:

IMG_6382.jpg

Teepees weren't made out of canvass. They were made out of animal hides. Therefore while the shape of the structure you posted might be considered "classic", that product is not.

Wstnodak, probably try to find a Yurt. People will think you're outdoorsy and know your shit if you tell them you have a Yurt.

Gooser

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have an outfitter tent, stove, etc we may sell. Contact me for details. Mike

Teepees weren't made out of canvass. They were made out of animal hides. Therefore while the shape of the structure you posted might be considered "classic", that product is not.

Wstnodak, probably try to find a Yurt. People will think you're outdoorsy and know your shit if you tell them you have a Yurt.

We have an outfitter tent for sale with stove, etc.
Contact me for details. Mike - Bismarck 791-870-0643

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ARCTIC OVEN! https://www.airframesalaska.com/Articles.asp?ID=289

If you want the best of the best, there is nothing even in the same category as an Arctic Oven. It took me a while to finally pull the trigger, but we really didn’t want a camper and an AO is the closest thing. We use ours almost weekly from April to October and once kids are a little older, we will use it 12 months a year. We have an AO10 with vestibule and I can’t say enough good things about it. I’ve owned wall tents and the big REI tents, it’s not even a comparison

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you want the best of the best, there is nothing even in the same category as an Arctic Oven. It took me a while to finally pull the trigger, but we really didn’t want a camper and an AO is the closest thing. We use ours almost weekly from April to October and once kids are a little older, we will use it 12 months a year. We have an AO10 with vestibule and I can’t say enough good things about it. I’ve owned wall tents and the big REI tents, it’s not even a comparison

Have you tried a Yurt? #$%^&>

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member

If you want the best of the best, there is nothing even in the same category as an Arctic Oven. It took me a while to finally pull the trigger, but we really didn’t want a camper and an AO is the closest thing. We use ours almost weekly from April to October and once kids are a little older, we will use it 12 months a year. We have an AO10 with vestibule and I can’t say enough good things about it. I’ve owned wall tents
and the big REI tents, it’s not even a comparison
Which model do you have

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha, I’ve slept in several yurts. They’re not exactly mobile.View attachment 60269

- - - Updated - - -

10 with vestibule
Simply buy three or four yaks for the wife to pack it on. :) I'm afraid that at my age my tenting years have past, but looking at that Arctic Oven does make me day dream. At one time I had a Montana Canvas 12x17 wall tent. The last tent I owned was a Cabelas Denali 12.5x22.5. It was Realite and sweat like a hooker in church.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16