Trash fish silver lining

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the life of me I don't understand the disgust with ling. They're a pretty green off the wing walls.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting Facts about the Burbot
  • The Burbot earned its name from its barbel. Its name was derived from the French word, Barbot. ...
  • Burbots cannot stand strong currents.
  • In the United Kingdom, some say that the Burbot may be extinct. ...
  • Burbots can coexist with beavers. ...
  • Burbots are capable of living in freezing temperatures.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my dad like burbot, i remember in the 70s on lake of the woods they were stacks of them by ice houses

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
So called "trash" fish is a learned designation not a biological one or one based on eating them. We learned it from our fathers, uncles, and other sportsmen. I've eaten grilled gar and it was awesome. Poor mans lobster from burbot is also...awesome. I've had deep fried freshwater drum and it was great. A couple billion Asian folks can't all be wrong about carp being a good meal. If you deep fry walleye in cajun seasoning and then do the same with freshwater drum, I would submit that the vast majority of fishermen wouldn't know the difference. If these fish are trash.....then call me garbage gut and make a plate for me please. (Grin)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
grilled up some small bullheads one time and just when they were getting done we got company and they scarfed em right down , I got a taste and thought they were ok. If I ever get into some bigger ones I'd do it again . We smoked a bunch of suckers when I was a kid and they turned out pretty darn good. Some of my dads drinking buddies took the tin off the outside of a big water heater and made a trap that resembled a minnow trap. They would harness it up with 2 ropes and roll it into the creek and then pull the ropes and roll it back out. Sometimes so full they had to use a pickup to pull it out. They showed up with two wash tubs full of suckers and the ol mad put me up to clean the slimy buggers. I think suckers produce more slime than northerns.
I think the old time outlaws enjoyed the thrill more than the fish. I didn't get in on the thrill , I was low man on the totum pole and I didn't feel any joy

I'd like to see trapping legal for non game fish but I doubt that would ever happen . When times get tough again and we have to hunt and fish for a living again you could feed a small village with one of those traps.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can pretty much make anything taste edible by smoking it, I have always been a big fan of burbot, lemon butter is my friend.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
So called "trash" fish is a learned designation not a biological one or one based on eating them. We learned it from our fathers, uncles, and other sportsmen. I've eaten grilled gar and it was awesome. Poor mans lobster from burbot is also...awesome. I've had deep fried freshwater drum and it was great. A couple billion Asian folks can't all be wrong about carp being a good meal. If you deep fry walleye in cajun seasoning and then do the same with freshwater drum, I would submit that the vast majority of fishermen wouldn't know the difference. If these fish are trash.....then call me garbage gut and make a plate for me please. (Grin)
Drum is good stuff, I kept a few last fall to try, wont be throwing them back anymore...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Canned sucker is as good or better than tuna for making “salad” (mixed with mayo or whatever)
Ive had that when I lived in Detroit lakes, the locals would catch them in the spring during the spawn. I'm a miracle whip kind of guy with some Tabasco sauce please.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
We kept a few drum from the tailrace one spring. Made sure to remove all the fat by not filleting right off the skin. The texture was different but they are pretty good eating. A lot like a saltwater fish.

Camping “survival style” as kids we grilled everything caught out of the river. Bullheads, chubs, crayfish. Hunger played a part but they were all edible except the chubs.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lobster used to be poor man's food as well (even served in prisons), until some genius started transporting them inland where people had never seen lobster and marketed them as an exotic food from the sea with a price to match.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lobster used to be poor man's food as well (even served in prisons), until some genius started transporting them inland where people had never seen lobster and marketed them as an exotic food from the sea with a price to match.
same with cod, its still not an expensive fish, but I like cod myself...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had that when I lived in Detroit lakes, the locals would catch them in the spring during the spawn. I'm a miracle whip kind of guy with some Tabasco sauce please.
Spin Blend guy here... but those bastards quit selling it anywhere but online. $12/jar

EFF THAT. :mad:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trash fish? Naw,poor man's lobster poached.

We call em "lawyers" because they always have a smile....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
same with cod, its still not an expensive fish, but I like cod myself...
My mom ate a lot of lutefisk in her day , she loved that stuff and cooked it a few times a year and almost every holiday. It stunk so bad that I'd have to go outside when I was a kid. Eventually I was able to tolerate the smell and tried some, it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. What a niche market, soak cod in lye and sell it to Swedes for $ 20 a pound. I wonder if carp would work ?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mom ate a lot of lutefisk in her day , she loved that stuff and cooked it a few times a year and almost every holiday. It stunk so bad that I'd have to go outside when I was a kid. Eventually I was able to tolerate the smell and tried some, it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. What a niche market, soak cod in lye and sell it to Swedes for $ 20 a pound. I wonder if carp would work ?
I dont know, cod is pretty firm and lutefish is pretty mushy, carp might dissolve completely?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
might break them down and turn them into fertilizer is lye is eco friendly ? Probably good for the body , Sweeds are tough and above average life expectancy.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Europeans love carp as well. I think they pickle it first, just like herring.
Was in Quebec when I caught my first ling, didn't know what it was. Asked at the bait shop and they identified it. He said first Asian family that opened restaurant in area went to all the shanties on the ice and asked what people were going to do with them. The universal response was leave em for the wildlife. The Asians took them to their restaurant and put it on the menu as fried fish. Locals could not get enough and finally asked what it was. The response "That is the fish you throw away".
Just another reason to expand your horizons.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84