Tree Tubes?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted 30 fruit trees (saplings) from the soil conservation this spring. I know they are gonna be nothing but rabbit/deer food if i dont do something with them. looking at putting tree tubes on them, For anyone that used tubes b4, where did you get your tubes and how did they work? i am not opposed to making some if it comes to that,,thanks in advance for any input..

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soil conservation usually has them, they can be ordered at the same time as the trees. I'd check there first.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got mine from soil conservation. They work well. Once the trees start popping out the top of the tubes you may need to put some fence around them or the deer might get them.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I have heard some argument that using them does not make for a strong tree. The dont move in the wind so they dont develop proper roots to withstand prevailing winds. When they grow above the tubs they are extremely top heavy, once the tub is taken off.

Anyway I have never used them myself but just some things I have heard from people. All of which make perfect sense to me I guess.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally, I would take the time to put a circle of about 6ft tall chicken wire (or some such) around them, attached to a post. Make it big enough to allow for lateral growth. That way you only have to mess with them once.

Problem with fruit trees especially is that even when they get big enough where deer wont rub on them, they still like to chew the ends of the branches, stunting the growth.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
no personal experience but liked the look and information Tubex has on their tree shelters. They have vented models that are suppose to help with stem/trunk development and also have 6' models that are used to combat deer issues that will come up with the smaller 3-4' tubes. Or one model that is solid on the bottom and vented toward the top allowing for easy chemical spraying of weeds and grass around the base of the tree.

To me that seemed like the best way to go for anyone with a number of trees planted. could just hit the base of the tree/tube with round up 2-3 times a growing season without risk of killing tree. No plastic/mulch/weed pulling

They are designed to just break away from the tree once the tree is large enough. They have some case studies and images of these used in large quantities in the forest industry.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used 3'' or 4'' plastic drain tile piping. Cut it to whatever length you need and then slit it lengthwise and put it around your tree.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was gonna go that route but was told that the black drain tile pipes will kill the sapplings.. were your trees larger than saplings?

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried the Plantra brand tree tubes last year, so far they seem great. I went with the 6 footers.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The problems I had with trees was deer. They eat the tops off the trees and stunt them. I use fence around them until they are tall enough so the deer cant top them. Once they are tall enough that the deer can't reach the tops, I remove the fence. I make sure to use the cut drain tile tubes later summer or early fall to keep the bucks from rubbing the tree trunks. I found it easier, if I wasn't going to plant too many trees at a time, to just buy some taller trees and give them a head start.
Good luck with your trees. Good for you for planting. It's work to get them big enough so the animals won't bother them.

Fish On!

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made gfp put up a fence .
20180613_133320.jpg

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Missy oak nativ nursery is where I got mine. About the best pricing I found. From the research I did you can use pvc as stakes and the pvc will shake in the wind and help the tree get a stronger trunk. I can’t say if this has worked as this is only the second year with the tubes on them. It did protect them from rabbits though. I also used the 2’ blue ones from protex for the less attractive to deer trees and the evergreens and I know that growth has been great in both types with plenty out the top of the 2’ but not quite out the 4’ tubes yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33