Uncut grass and not spraying weeds

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I only had a dandlion problem. My neighbor retired from the railroad, and his wife retired as one of the top people at the bank. They also own a farm. Nice vehicles, campers, boats etc, but they are to cheap to upgrade their septic system. When they pump it they try sneak the hose into my yard. A few years ago the high nitrogen killed four colorado blue spruce about 16 inches diameter. I reported it and what come out of his wifes mouth would make a sailor blush. They were given a year to upgrade. That was five or six years ago. I hauled in truckloads of black dirt so that corner of my yard is to high now. At least my camper isnt standing in six inches of his septic run off now. It nowruns through the west sde of my yard and into the Jamestown resivoir. I would think that would violatr all kinds pf laws.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've called the Health Department before on a neighbor pumping out his own sewer waste into a field. Problem is, that field was also a potato crop with a contract to produce potato chips in Jamestown! Health Dept. guy drove up the next week and issue a desist warning. New septic system went in by the end of summer. As you eat your Ruffles you can thank me! lol

I have no problem involving authorities when it goes OUTSIDE of the boundaries. I have a couple of neighbors (new residence now) down the street and both their lawns (2 acres each) are nothing but dandelions and weeds; no grass other than quack grass. They mow everything down to the earth and wait until it requires another chopping. Just think how their decisions affect the neighbor's lawns?? You couldn't spray enough to keep the stuff blowing in the ND winds and affecting your lawn over and over again.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dunno, guys. Think of the bees. I have half a mind to plant wildflowers and tallgrass prairie in my corner of mini Minneapolis, just so I can say it's helping the pollinators and allow me to leave weekends for weekend fun and not stupid lawn chores.

PF told me I could get up to $250/acre for such things. Which means I could get a cool $50 heading my way!

Seems like nothing but money in my pockets. Win-win

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a small mowed defensible space right around the house (3/4 acre or so). The rest of the acreage is native bunch grasses, forbs, silver buffaloberry, and sage brush. I’m really glad I don’t live in town after reading this thread

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try to keep my front yard decent, but Im not a weekly mower, if it needs it, it gets done in a few days. Back yard is fenced and not super high on my priority list... Worrying about others lawns isnt on my radar at all, but Im low on the OCD scale.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dunno, guys. Think of the bees. I have half a mind to plant wildflowers and tallgrass prairie in my corner of mini Minneapolis, just so I can say it's helping the pollinators and allow me to leave weekends for weekend fun and not stupid lawn chores.

PF told me I could get up to $250/acre for such things. Which means I could get a cool $50 heading my way!

- - - Updated - - -

PF?

Is this program in ND too?

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Responsibly Maintaining a yard In town and having a yard out of town are two Totally different things. Apples and oranges. I have both. Out of town I have a grass mix that I planted and occasionally over seed. It has weeds and it gets mowed when someone is there and the weather allows. As long as the riding mower can get through it I’m happy. My nearest neighbor is a mile away.

Folks who live out in the country built or moved there for a reason...to have some wide open space with some distance between them and their neighbors and To escape the city, including its ordinances.
If you have acreage outside of the city limits you should be free to do or not do as you please with your property.

If you live in town and in a neighborhood, be a good neighbor and give a shit or two about your neighbors and their property in addition to your own. If you aren’t physically able to maintain it, find someone to help. If you don’t have finances to do it, that doesn’t give you a free pass to just let it go to hell IMO. If you’ve been a half-assed decent neighbor I bet your neighborhood would help you out.

Lycan, taking pride in a nice yard and allowing your neighbors to do the same Is far from OCD. For me it is just a higher priority than brewing fish juice and growing 85 kinds of fruit I guess.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Does Blue Cross and Blue Shield have that tall-grass yard on 13th?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously guys they put die in concrete now for whatever color you want, green crete that yard, zero maintenance! :;:thumbsup

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, by that logic, the new carb that is ordered and labor will be free? Or should I just walk off with a new mower since mowing costs zero dollars. Not to mention gas. That little push motor was in the shop last year too. Also, weed killer is not cheap.
Cost of gas...seriously?
Weed killer...go buy a gallon of 24d and a hand sprayer, your good for the next decade.
Mower...yep they can take some maintenance, just like your sparkly boat.

Basically, spending a little on yard maintenance and house upkeep is part of home ownership, if your not willing to do any of those things maybe a condo is up your alley. People who neglect their yard and house tend to lose in the end with a lower property value, The problem is they also affect the others around them.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sure glad I live on a narrow gravel road far from town. My pet peeve is the 2am drunks using the road past my place for a sneak road home.

Redneck1

One other thing we need to bitch about is how fucking stupid some homeowners are that don't trim their trees. Holy shit just drive around Minot and look at the dead trees all over. In addition to the shitty looking houses that have never been painted with crappy roof shingles, etc. Maybe we should start taking pictures of the worst looking shit hole houses and post them on this site for all to see. Perhaps public shaming might cure the problem of trashy homeowners. I see the same house every spring that requires a construction rolloff dumpster to place all of the garbage that accumulates over the winter. We could start a contest of shittiest looking yards and vote.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe there's a reason people live in a shitty trash hole, they pay less property tax than you do gooders who keep your places tidy and nice. Another reason to get rid of property taxes!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
One other thing we need to bitch about is how fucking stupid some homeowners are that don't trim their trees.
I have a neighbor to the east with a huge cottonwood that hangs over the road. He was a couch potato for years, but now had a heart attack. I blow their driveway for them, but didn't even talk to them about the tree. I can't get out with a camper so I park there, stand on top the camper and cut the tree to clear by three feet. He hasn't chewed on me so I guess he is ok with it.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How someone else’s lawn looks is something I never thought about. kinda like adding water and fertilizer to my yard to create more work during the busiest time of the year. I mowed my weeds for the first time last night. Set the mower to the lowest setting and I’ll maybe get back around to it around July 1 - maybe later if the fish run late. I leave most of my acre native including about 15 feet to the left and right of me. It’s how it was when I bought the place (and when both my neighbors bought their houses) and I like the privacy so it will continue to grow wild.

I paid attention as I drove through my neighborhood and to my kid’s daycare this morning (which are both really nice neighborhoods) and it turns out everyone likes hunting and fishing as much as me. I will say it’s a cultural thing up here. Winter is long and summer is short. People up here are VERY recreational minded and everyone goes hard from May to September and the last thing people worry about is grass they can’t smoke.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
61291087_10157193389344491_2391278906687619072_n.jpg

Does your neighbor compete with this yard down the street from me?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89