What are you feeding your dog?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyone feeding their dogs ? The wife has 2 golden doodles that both weigh just shy of 100lbs. We have been feeding the Iams ( vet suggestion ). I just picked up a bag from Sam’s and it cost $66.99 for 50 lbs ( $1.34/lb ). I am thinking about making our own food using chicken, rice, and frozen vegetable, chicken thighs were $1.28/lb today. Does anyone make their own that has a recipe they would share. What should the meat/rice/vegetable ratio be? Should anything else be added?

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ive had great luck last 20 years feeding my boyz "nuti source" lamb n rice,my goldens have healthy coats,no dry skin,feedmill in town $60/50lb bag.

In your case two 100lb lumox pups making up chow will be a full time job but if you have the time....does your wife make man bunns of your troops?

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Switched from Science Diet to making our own dog food about a year ago for our 2 pups. We try to vary their diet but mostly includes chicken breasted meat (from Sam's), pumpkin, sweet potato, cauliflower, peas, green beans or mixed vegetables (frozen), blue berries, cottage cheese, rice, and apple sauce. We buy in bulk and while it is a bit more work, I actually do not believe that it costs any more. We have a wirehair (#80) and a mixed breed (#65) and feel that they shed less and coats look better. We feed them twice daily and wirehair gets about 3 cups and other dog gets about 2.5 cups of mixed food. We visited with our vet regarding protein content and his suggestion was to give the equivalent of 3/4 chicken breast to each dog and add veggies, etc. Dogs get a good amount of exercise with walks and swimming most mornings and their weights have remained consistent.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feed kinetic 30/20 dog has sensitive stomach. The second best for him was purina pro plan the salmon blend. I tried eukanuba. Victor is a high quality food. Know guys who have good luck with diamond naturals which is more price friendly and still a quality food, Inukshuk is also a food people have been happy with. Most of those are more expensive but the calory count is way higher so you feed way less. I feed two cups total a day when we are training hard and hunting hard. Winter time its 1 1/2 cups as he will put weight on fast with the kinetic.

Doodles are prone to food allergies so thats also some thing to consider which food also

here is a web site that is pretty good at telling you whats in the food and rating it.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iams previously, Taste Of Wild Sierra Mountain now

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have been buying 4Health for our 9 yr old English Springer Spaniel. Salmon and Potato. We buy at TSC.
Salmon, ocean fish meal, potatoes, peas, cracked pearled barley, pea flour, egg product, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed, salt, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.
Crude Protein 25%
Crude Fat 14%

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purina pro plan for the new pup at our house. Last two dogs got Nutro

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
purina pro plan salmon been feeding it for years, Last fall i did get a bag that was full of worms, took pictures threw bag away and contacted purina ended up getting 4 bags free

gunlover

Ben feeding Old Roy to my labs for the last 40 yrs. its as good as any big name, plus give them table scraps.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Our rescue dog Koop had the shits with several brands but settled in with science diet lamb and rice. He’s a little over 200# now…
IMG_3716.jpeg

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Purina pro for my griffs plus table scraps they are a little bit spoiled.....
I couldn't tell you what their shit smells like I guess joys of living in the country 😄

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Knew a fellow who fed his dogs a lot of raw chicken. He said the problem with the bones manifested after the bones were cooked. Dogs were beautiful and always healthy...His logic: When has a fox been found choked dead in a chicken coop?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 36
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16