What Happened To the Cutthroats?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if it's possible to target trout in the 'race. If one does with repeatable success; there's possible hot book sales for a while: Best thing I can think of is proper depth and drift speed with a slip bobber rig. The key may damn well be a drop shot: As in my above vid; it's about sunrise/set. Other than that, it's about putting food right in their effing faces at the proper drift speed and depth.

- - - Updated - - -

Bastards

Last edited:

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if it's possible to target trout in the 'race. If one does with repeatable success; there's possible hot book sales for a while: Best thing I can think of is proper depth and drift speed with a slip bobber rig. The key may damn well be a drop shot: As in my above vid; it's about sunrise/set. Other than that, it's about putting food right in their effing faces at the proper drift speed and depth.

- - - Updated - - -

Bastards

the challenge is the biggest draw, sure smoked trout/salmon tastes great. but i love the challenge. ill just keep at them till i figure it out.

maybe i should buy another flyrod and take out the waders. only been 10 years since ive casted a fly

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
the challenge is the biggest draw, sure smoked trout/salmon tastes great. but i love the challenge. ill just keep at them till i figure it out.

maybe i should buy another flyrod and take out the waders. only been 10 years since ive casted a fly

Waders... ahh. I love me some wader fishing. If I could get the timing (time of the year) right, I'd be wading on the beach(es) south of the ramp, every night. I have to assume August would be about right. And right at dark. One big fish, in that current, would make my heart go pitter-pat for a month.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, I meant a drop shot rig under the slip to keep the presentation more perfectly vertical. IDK, I've got confidence issues with that weight flopping around under the fish.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like many other aspects of fishing, the guy who's ultra-careful about presentation, making sure things are just so, often times has his hopes crushed by some poor slob next to him. The guy who comes down to the shore, tosses out a daredevil layin' on the bottom, checks it twice an hour, and hooks a trophy fish.

Not that I'm bitter... no, not me. I wish more people would be thoughtlessly lucky. I also wish they'd allow the average joe to buy dynamite.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Go with at least a 7wt IMHO. A 4wt would also be nice to have handy to dick with the eaters on nymphs and drys.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
How well does it work to troll cranks in the shoots for trout? Troll with enough speed to get the right to the right depth but slow enough that your still going down stream. Not sure if would try it on a busy day but could be fun.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This could be a good deal IMHO. Try it and write a book like "Catdaddy".

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
How well does it work to troll cranks in the shoots for trout? Troll with enough speed to get the right to the right depth but slow enough that your still going down stream. Not sure if would try it on a busy day but could be fun.

For us it's still always been more timing than anything else, many a days with flutter spoons behind riggers and everything in between, but the ONLY thing somewhat consistent is a fire tiger floater on 3 way at the right time of year and day, not an expert but I'd say 80% of the whopper Browns and rainbows have all found their way into my boat like so

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is my version of backtrolling.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 250
  • This month: 212
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 80