What tactic for family fishing

Victory

If you are the one taking friends and family out fishing, which tactic do you employ the most, or what tactic do you feel is the best in these situations where you are simply wanting to put some novices on fish (and fun)?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find the spot and spot lock or anchor up. Drop jigs, or split shot and hooks, or whatever STRAIGHT DOWN!!! No casting whatsoever. Everybody can fish with whatever bait they want and all the boat driver has to do is net fish. I've fished 7 in my 19 ft boat doing that and everyone caught fish and had a blast. Safe, Easy, and Effective. Good for kids and a full boat. Good Luck!!

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Start late, and end early. I try make it more about being together and having fun than actually catching fish. Make sure you have great snacks and when my kids start getting bored, move and do something different. Always stop at Garrison for ice cream on the way home. You’ll know if your too intense when you find yourself fishing alone.

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dragging a jig and minnow has worked well for my boat and the new to fishing groups. That and cold beverages.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
BB usually is my go to with the family and kids. If I can find a good spot to jig I would but normally the BB method will keep everyone more entertained. Just don't pick a snaggy areal. Cranks maybe, but they are a little dangerous. They reel them up too far and I don't want anyone getting hooked.

Lisbonbirds

If you are the one taking friends and family out fishing, which tactic do you employ the most, or what tactic do you feel is the best in these situations where you are simply wanting to put some novices on fish (and fun)?
slip bobbers and don't plan on fishing yourself. Help the kids out to have a fun time.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pulling bottom bouncers or trolling cranks is my go to with family. I’ll gladly play net man on them days!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely bottom bouncers with heavier weights. Make easy to tell if there on bottom and then you just have to worry about snags. Bought a 25' pontoon and have fished 8 off of it at once. That gets a little tight but better then someone sitting out.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever the technique; don't fish and be immediately available for patient help. IME you only have a couple hours to assist adults before you're dealing with defensiveness and ego no matter your patience and skill. This is when I leave them to their own messes and fish which brings in the dynamic of driving separately. :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80