Identify Theft Prevention

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still waiting to hear specifics, but it sounds like a hacker got a lot of my personal info. SS# for all my family, bank accounts, health insurance and other benefits info, basically any personal info your employer would have on you. Which is a lot.

It sounds like we will get a little money to put towards an Equifax membership, for one year. I will be signing up. Will i and my family need to utilize this service forever? I intend to inform my bank tomorrow. What about credit card companies? What others steps can a person take? Will passwords for company 401k, etc need to be changed?

The breach happened two months ago and those affected are just finding out now. Any advice from people familiar with this sort of thing is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I got 2-3 of those notices in the last year and wound up buying LifeLock

BULLMOOSE

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still waiting to hear specifics, but it sounds like a hacker got a lot of my personal info. SS# for all my family, bank accounts, health insurance and other benefits info, basically any personal info your employer would have on you. Which is a lot.

It sounds like we will get a little money to put towards an Equifax membership, for one year. I will be signing up. Will i and my family need to utilize this service forever? I intend to inform my bank tomorrow. What about credit card companies? What others steps can a person take? Will passwords for company 401k, etc need to be changed?

The breach happened two months ago and those affected are just finding out now. Any advice from people familiar with this sort of thing is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
In my opinion thats a scam to sign up for Equifax. I have gotten those letters before and nothing came about it.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just freeze your accounts with the big 3 reporting services . Then anyone that tries to open an account get a loan etc. Is shut down

This is the correct answer. Paying for any service is ripping off yourself.

Also a good idea to change passwords occasionally for online banking and other logins. Keep an eye on accounts so you can report fraud as soon as possible.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got hacked for real last year they got in my wifes email and then bank accounts it was a real mother fucker fixing it all. Seems week passwords were the culprit. Shit even netflix got hacked we got locked out of the accout i will say this netflix customer service was top notch 15 minutes on the phone and they got it all resolved it was some ass hole from bangladesh is what the guy helping me said.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the banks I deal with have the ability for you to set up alerts on your accounts. You can get text alerts for money coming in, and money going out, profile changes, accessing your account from a new IP address, etc, etc. Keeping good passwords is your first line of defense, but these alerts along with the banks' own algorithms for detecting fraud are pretty good nowadays.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hackers need to be executed immediately.

My son was playing on line on his x-box and some random guy on the site got his information and charged a couple x-box games on my card. I called x-box directly and after a few questions and 15-20 minutes it was resolved. The guy from x-box told me the chargers would re reversed and said the guy would have to get himself a new x-box as he had just remotely fried the guys box remotely.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Equifax is biggest joke they cause more issues than they fix, I know first hand ficking a-holes

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Equifax is biggest joke they cause more issues than they fix, I know first hand ficking a-holes
Do elaborate!

I did sign up for Equifax. I got an activation code through my employer that lead to a 1 yr prepaid membership. So that is not a scam. I am curious after this year is up, what better options exist. And why Equifax isn't good.

Additionally, I just placed a credit freeze at the 3 companies.

I'm not overly worried about credit card or debit card fraud. I've been through both of those before and it's pretty painless. Identify Theft worries me a bit more, as I read up on it.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your watching your credit you'll need more than just equifax. Have to watch the other guys too. Some report when others don't. Might show up on transunion but not equifax.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84