What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Fishing
Boat Fishing
What would you recommend?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Allen" data-source="post: 172221" data-attributes="member: 389"><p>Yeah, I don't know that any of us would be able to give you advice that you don't already know. The problem as I see it is that you've set your sights pretty high. Ipilot, newer electronics, bigger glass boat (equals bigger motor), all of this adds up quickly. Part of the problem you are running into is that the Crestliner you have is an OK light boat, best for small lakes and rivers. Add a foot and a half length and go to a beefier model and you'd be amazed with the difference.</p><p></p><p>I have a 2004 Lund Fisherman that's 17.5 ft long with a 115 Yamaha that has been a GREAT ride for the past 11 years. I paid $20k for it when it was just a couple years old and I still see the same setup (with a lot fewer hours) for in the mid to upper teens. </p><p></p><p>When it comes to boats and pretty much any other recreational thing, I strongly encourage people to buy newer so they aren't constantly working on it. That just sucks the life right out of things. In that sense, the older Yamaha (late 1990s to early 2000s) are fantastic boat engines, look for one of them on a hull that fits your needs. The Fisherman series, or Pro-Sport models of Lunds from the 90s to early 2000s paired with a Yammie are going to give you a fine platform to fish out of that can tolerate some wave action. Note, I am not an expert on the glass boats from that generation as to how they are faring with age. On the Lunds, just check the transom and look underneath to make sure it wasn't owned by someone fishing the local river. </p><p></p><p>I think the key here is you simply want a boat that is at least 1.5 ft longer, over a foot wider, and about 450 lbs heavier. I had a Smokercraft similar in setup and size to your Crestliner and these three attributes made a world of difference on the water in overall enjoyment.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Allen, post: 172221, member: 389"] Yeah, I don't know that any of us would be able to give you advice that you don't already know. The problem as I see it is that you've set your sights pretty high. Ipilot, newer electronics, bigger glass boat (equals bigger motor), all of this adds up quickly. Part of the problem you are running into is that the Crestliner you have is an OK light boat, best for small lakes and rivers. Add a foot and a half length and go to a beefier model and you'd be amazed with the difference. I have a 2004 Lund Fisherman that's 17.5 ft long with a 115 Yamaha that has been a GREAT ride for the past 11 years. I paid $20k for it when it was just a couple years old and I still see the same setup (with a lot fewer hours) for in the mid to upper teens. When it comes to boats and pretty much any other recreational thing, I strongly encourage people to buy newer so they aren't constantly working on it. That just sucks the life right out of things. In that sense, the older Yamaha (late 1990s to early 2000s) are fantastic boat engines, look for one of them on a hull that fits your needs. The Fisherman series, or Pro-Sport models of Lunds from the 90s to early 2000s paired with a Yammie are going to give you a fine platform to fish out of that can tolerate some wave action. Note, I am not an expert on the glass boats from that generation as to how they are faring with age. On the Lunds, just check the transom and look underneath to make sure it wasn't owned by someone fishing the local river. I think the key here is you simply want a boat that is at least 1.5 ft longer, over a foot wider, and about 450 lbs heavier. I had a Smokercraft similar in setup and size to your Crestliner and these three attributes made a world of difference on the water in overall enjoyment. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Fishing
Boat Fishing
What would you recommend?
Top
Bottom