What would you recommend?

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Took the wife out fishing this weekend, first time she's been in my boat since she let me buy hit last spring. It's a 2004 Crestliner 1600 Super Hawk 16' long and 11° deadrise on transom. 1000# dry weight not including motor.

It's a decent boat as long as the wind isn't blowing which we went to Mackenzie Bay Saturday and got there early in the morning when it was only like 10-11 mph winds... little bumpy going across the waves and we went back in a bay that I knew the wind would it be disturbing us.

Well anyways she had a blast fishing but after is all said and done even the slightest little wind gust I could feel pushing my boat around and it was a little hard to navigate with the trolling motor at times which I guess I've been used to the last year-and-a-half and I didn't want to complain cuz I barely was able to get her to let me buy this boat. On the way back to the marina around noon was a different story 30 to 35 mile an hour winds White Cap'in pretty hard had to take it real slow to get back to the marina which would probably be like any boat. No matter size and weight..

On the way home now she made a comment about buying a bigger boat and ask me about fiberglass because she loves the sparkly color that fiberglass gives off and I said well they're heavier and they're built bigger for bigger water. So anyways moral to the story sounds like she's going to let me look at getting maybe a bigger boat!!

I guess my budget is kind of tight right now it probably wouldn't be until maybe fall or next year because I have to save up some money.

Fiberglass I think in the long run is going to be too expensive for me and out of my budget unless I go like with a really older boat I'd like to get a little bit newer than what I have now at least stay in the 2000s if not the 2010s.

I was looking at Tracker boats online they have like a 20 degree deadrise and it seemed to be a just a little bit heavier plus they come equipped with a Lowrance sonar and a trolling motor already.

I know if I get a little bit newer stay like 2012-2015 I can extend the loan out farther and make my payments less I don't know if I'm fully committed to buy brand new just because the depreciation rate is so steep thinking about checking out of state like Minnesota and maybe a little bit farther south for a better deal.

I guess I got three main concerns of the boat 1.handle big water and big waves. 2. I'd like newer Electronics including I pilot and sonar that has mapping capabilities 3. Rod storage sound stupid for concern but I'm sick of carrying my fishing poles in the back of my pickup with them bounce around all the time and then having to carry them in and out of the house including my tacklebox every freakin trip... my boat right now has Rod storage for up to 6 foot rods which the smallest ion is 6 foot 6....

So I don't know if this is really a thread looking for advice... or if I'm just airing out my thoughts LOL I guess you can respond accordingly

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own a boat (on purpose) but one thing you have to ask yourself, before all the other things, is "How much do I wish to finance?".

The less the better. The boat payments aren't any fun in the winter. And drawing out the payments for 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 years sounds fine on the front end, but after a bit, they become cumbersome. I think many think "I'll just pay it off in a few years", but that is tougher to make happen than one thinks.

What do you owe on the current boat?

It's fun to think about upgrading, or trading in, etc. But think about how much you're going to use the thing, versus payments.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye Central Classifieds will give you a good idea what year/make used boat will fit your budget. You can filter their list with the little arrows at the top of each column. Filter by year, price, make, etc.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
In metal I'd look at the Lund Crossover or Impact. As for fiberglass, while it sounds like you don't want to spend the money a bigger Ranger would cost, I've had friends who've had Ranger Reata's. They're a really nice boat for the money. There are other cheaper boats out there, but the market for boats is tough and you really do get what you pay for. If something costs less it's usually because it was made with cheaper parts or they skimped somewhere.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all comes down to what you want to spend total. If you are looking at a 17-18ft glass boat that isn't trashed and with the electronics you are looking for you are going to be in the 20-35k range and in the 2002-2010 year range. If you plan on spending more than 30 up to 50K you have tons of options open to you. If you want to spend under 20k better look the boat over well as it is probably going to be a 15-20 year old boat and with that it comes down to prior owners maintenance and use, guys that fix things themselves that shouldn't (ex. shoddy wiring, holes drilled all over the plce etc.) Good luck in your search I'd definitely check walleye central and walleye outdoofirst, once you find something in your price range and that you like go on the message boards and ask questions on what to look for on a specific model(ex. rotted floors, weak transom, riverfished etc)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I don't know that any of us would be able to give you advice that you don't already know. The problem as I see it is that you've set your sights pretty high. Ipilot, newer electronics, bigger glass boat (equals bigger motor), all of this adds up quickly. Part of the problem you are running into is that the Crestliner you have is an OK light boat, best for small lakes and rivers. Add a foot and a half length and go to a beefier model and you'd be amazed with the difference.

I have a 2004 Lund Fisherman that's 17.5 ft long with a 115 Yamaha that has been a GREAT ride for the past 11 years. I paid $20k for it when it was just a couple years old and I still see the same setup (with a lot fewer hours) for in the mid to upper teens.

When it comes to boats and pretty much any other recreational thing, I strongly encourage people to buy newer so they aren't constantly working on it. That just sucks the life right out of things. In that sense, the older Yamaha (late 1990s to early 2000s) are fantastic boat engines, look for one of them on a hull that fits your needs. The Fisherman series, or Pro-Sport models of Lunds from the 90s to early 2000s paired with a Yammie are going to give you a fine platform to fish out of that can tolerate some wave action. Note, I am not an expert on the glass boats from that generation as to how they are faring with age. On the Lunds, just check the transom and look underneath to make sure it wasn't owned by someone fishing the local river.

I think the key here is you simply want a boat that is at least 1.5 ft longer, over a foot wider, and about 450 lbs heavier. I had a Smokercraft similar in setup and size to your Crestliner and these three attributes made a world of difference on the water in overall enjoyment.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good advice everyone! As for how much I'd use it it would be a lot! At least every other weekend and some odd ball weekend between there, .. that's why I don't think financing a boat is to horrible since it gets used alot between april-Sept. No different than a golf membership and those can run shorter seasons! Haha

I'm still talking with said wife, ... if we can organize our finances I think I could be able to convince her to go up to about $200 a month on financing about right now we are paying 130 on a 6 year loan I think for my $8,500 boat...... I think I'm going to go aluminum with a deeper deadrise fiberglass would be nice but I think I'd be pushing our budget like I said I'll definitely check out that Walleye Central classifieds just to see what's out there

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I don't know that any of us would be able to give you advice that you don't already know. The problem as I see it is that you've set your sights pretty high. Ipilot, newer electronics, bigger glass boat (equals bigger motor), all of this adds up quickly. Part of the problem you are running into is that the Crestliner you have is an OK light boat, best for small lakes and rivers. Add a foot and a half length and go to a beefier model and you'd be amazed with the difference.

I have a 2004 Lund Fisherman that's 17.5 ft long with a 115 Yamaha that has been a GREAT ride for the past 11 years. I paid $20k for it when it was just a couple years old and I still see the same setup (with a lot fewer hours) for in the mid to upper teens.

When it comes to boats and pretty much any other recreational thing, I strongly encourage people to buy newer so they aren't constantly working on it. That just sucks the life right out of things. In that sense, the older Yamaha (late 1990s to early 2000s) are fantastic boat engines, look for one of them on a hull that fits your needs. The Fisherman series, or Pro-Sport models of Lunds from the 90s to early 2000s paired with a Yammie are going to give you a fine platform to fish out of that can tolerate some wave action. Note, I am not an expert on the glass boats from that generation as to how they are faring with age. On the Lunds, just check the transom and look underneath to make sure it wasn't owned by someone fishing the local river.

I think the key here is you simply want a boat that is at least 1.5 ft longer, over a foot wider, and about 450 lbs heavier. I had a Smokercraft similar in setup and size to your Crestliner and these three attributes made a world of difference on the water in overall enjoyment.

That's what I was mainly concerned out if it was just the size of my boat or the material of it being aluminum I think I will stick with aluminum just try to shoot for something just a little bit longer 17 and a half maybe even 18 foot then I can use a lighter engine like you said 115 - 150... I'm just kind of really on a kicker right now on them new aluminum Tracker boats for $30,000 I can get and 18 footer with 150 horsepower Plus have the depth finder on trolling motor included which I can always upgrade later on down the road or even try to roll in and upgrade with my financing I just don't know if I want to buy brand new though and I thought I heard a rumor saying the older aluminum trackers had some aluminum weld issues like 2010 and older???

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with some previous statements. If you keep your eye out, there are some really good used boats in that 2007-20012 range under 35k. I have even seen some good ones under 25k. You can really save some money by finding a boat that doesn't have the really high end electronics.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have about the same set up you have, 16/6 and 84" wide. Have fished in the 17/6 and 96 wide and foot deeper boat same brand and there is a world of difference in how much wind you can fish in. I don't like wind over 15mph so my boat suits me fine and its paid for.#$%^&> The size lakes I fish its good enough, set up the way I like, and comfortable. Load and unload by my old crippled up self no problem. Last boat I will ever buy unless I win the lottery and can afford a bikini clad crew.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boat will not be the only expense, there are tires on the trailer that will need replacing, motors that need tuning or service work, windshields bust, seats rip, electronics burn out, trolling motors burn out, tarps rip, etc... Then the gas for the boat, bait, beer, snacks, sun screen, boat shoes (I guess some guys have special shoes for boating) broken poles, lost anchors, busted nets.

You will put another $2,000 or more a year into the boat.

Having fun on the water is a damn expensive sport.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me there are other considerations than the monthly cost of the payments. I do not spend anywhere close to $2000/summer on my boat. Occasionally there is an expense that needs to be paid but I don't average that amount. Then again I'm not traveling 100 miles every weekend to fish.

I don't encourage anyone to bury themselves in debt but the one thing that is difficult to factor in is the enjoyment. How do you put a price on an activity that you only thought you enjoyed only to find out your wife also enjoys and is actually encouraging you to consider a bigger boat. Don't lose the precious woman. Only you and your prize can answer how much you want to spend on monthly payments but the enjoyment the 2 of you could share might pass you by and that is unrecoverable.

Add in that some day your family size may increase and there is another opportunity for family time. Buying now and having the boat paid for before a family grows is another plus.

Simple answer - I see the need and desire for a bigger boat.
Difficult answer - Only you know what you can afford.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boat will not be the only expense, there are tires on the trailer that will need replacing, motors that need tuning or service work, windshields bust, seats rip, electronics burn out, trolling motors burn out, tarps rip, etc... Then the gas for the boat, bait, beer, snacks, sun screen, boat shoes (I guess some guys have special shoes for boating) broken poles, lost anchors, busted nets.

You will put another $2,000 or more a year into the boat.

Having fun on the water is a damn expensive sport.

Hah hah, I am closing in on that with my new toon in the first month after purchase as I put in the add-ons!

Otherwise, I would say that the majority of ownership costs in the newer boats involve direct usage costs (gas, bait, beer, etc) the maintenance costs on my old Lund is probably closer to a couple hundred a year on average. In its 11th year, I've put nothing but oil changes, spark plugs, water pump impeller, and timing belt (preventative). Oh yeah, and a couple sets of trailer tires, depthfinder, new Ulterra, batteries every few years, spare tire holder, trailer lights (twice), tie down straps every few years, transom saver (2 over the years). Ah shit, you're right after all. ;:;banghead

Again, buy as new as poissible. Having to go through the major components (electronics, etc) will bankrupt a person wanting to upgrade "next year" and won't add jack squat to the overall value of the boat.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me there are other considerations than the monthly cost of the payments. I do not spend anywhere close to $2000/summer on my boat. Occasionally there is an expense that needs to be paid but I don't average that amount. Then again I'm not traveling 100 miles every weekend to fish.

I don't encourage anyone to bury themselves in debt but the one thing that is difficult to factor in is the enjoyment. How do you put a price on an activity that you only thought you enjoyed only to find out your wife also enjoys and is actually encouraging you to consider a bigger boat. Don't lose the precious woman. Only you and your prize can answer how much you want to spend on monthly payments but the enjoyment the 2 of you could share might pass you by and that is unrecoverable.

Add in that some day your family size may increase and there is another opportunity for family time. Buying now and having the boat paid for before a family grows is another plus.

Simple answer - I see the need and desire for a bigger boat.
Difficult answer - Only you know what you can afford.

I agree, you cant put a price on a happy life.

But seriously put pen to paper and calculate all your boating expense on an average of 3 years. Factor in tires, batteries, gas, oil, fishing poles, bait, ice, sunscreen, lures, replacing life jackets, minor repairs, boat license, fishing license, boat insurance, etc., and I would bet even a frugal fella that lives right on the river or lake would still come close to a grand or better, add in the expense of hauling your boat to the lake, and all the miscellaneous stuff and you are close to a couple grand.

For me, money well spent, most of the time, but I don't have a boat payment anymore, so the few hundred spent here and there is not to bad.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get something with a Yamaha fourstoke 18.5-19 foot and you'll be happy.
Single axle trailer, less to worry about.
Good batteries and a newer style trolling motor and your days on the water will be allot happier.
Good bangs for the buck.
Sylvan viper, hard to beat this boat for the money. It was a trend setter really in 98 with the jumps seat setup.
Skeeter 1880, well built and the jump seats are nice if you have family and they look good to this day.
Ranger reata. Ranger quality at a good price.
Statos makes a good all glass boat as well along with Triton and they have for quite some time.
Oh and buy from someone older, preferably retired.
Lifes short, buy the damn boat right! #$%^&>

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree, you cant put a price on a happy life.

But seriously put pen to paper and calculate all your boating expense on an average of 3 years. Factor in tires, batteries, gas, oil, fishing poles, bait, ice, sunscreen, lures, replacing life jackets, minor repairs, boat license, fishing license, boat insurance, etc., and I would bet even a frugal fella that lives right on the river or lake would still come close to a grand or better, add in the expense of hauling your boat to the lake, and all the miscellaneous stuff and you are close to a couple grand.

For me, money well spent, most of the time, but I don't have a boat payment anymore, so the few hundred spent here and there is not to bad.

Spot on John...this just got me thinking about gas alone running to the lake and back. Last year I made 50 trips, nearly 100 miles per trip...so 5K miles. My F150 gets 14 mpg when pulling the boat...so 357 gallons of gas...at $2.25 per gallon...and I spent $800 on fuel for the truck last year on fishing trips! Thanks John...really appreciate this realization!:::

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84