What would you recommend?

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I upgraded last year, was always kinda set on aluminum for weight and cost issues, you said you looked at the Lund crossover and I can tell you I looked heavily at them and the alumacraft trophy 185, loved the floor plan/layout, these boats when compared apples to apples to a stratos or just slightly higher cost skeeter, these aluminum boats are pricing themselves out of the market, only 2k difference when you figure in stock options and add one, that cost was eaten up by the motor size difference, long story short I found a stratos w 12 hrs On the motor 2 years old w standard elite 5, v2 power drive for a great price, just keep your eyes open, now is not the best time to buy anyway, pick your layout and look who can deliver what it is exactly you want

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't buy under a 20ft aluminum if you plan on fishing hell or highwater windy days with your old lady, her tits will thank you and so will your kidneys and back. . 22K for an aluminum lund- or 26 for a ranger I'd spend the extra 4 grand and I'm not a ranger guy. I have never talked to one person who ever said the ride is better in an aluminum boat, and make sure you get a terrova or ulterra with at least ipilot or an xi5 or whatever the motorguide is with spot lock.

Aquaholic

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't it cool when your wife says you can buy a better boat.:;:rockitLike johnr said, expect to pay more once you get it. If your going to finance a boat "fun toy," You better plan to use it at least weekly. Go to Walleye central like others said.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, I've heard the same thing about Tracker. Didn't one or two get sunk in the Gov cup on a very windy day after taking a beating.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/175050
A little over what I would pay for it, but you wouldn't be unhappy with the setup.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/174810
I'm not an Optimax fan though.

And while you are writing checks, can you pick this one up for me? Thanks!
https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/153698
Wow those are great boats! I wish I could afford the last one!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want a legitimate answer, go ahead and list off your annual family income and expenses for us.

Personally, I would not make payments on anything used. Save up for a couple of years and get the best bost you can without going into debt.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you want a legitimate answer, go ahead and list off your annual family income and expenses for us.

Personally, I would not make payments on anything used. Save up for a couple of years and get the best bost you can without going into debt.

eh, boats are a pretty safe investment. buy a nice used boat for say 20k, take care of it and in a few years can sell it for what you bought it for or more sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

#ithoughtthiswasamerica

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
eh, that's my point. People are gouging so bad on used boats, new boats make more (dollars) and sense.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
eh, that's my point. People are gouging so bad on used boats, new boats make more (dollars) and sense.

so going into debt on a new boat is better than going into debt on a used boat in your opinion? asking for a friend

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Save up and get what you want, you might have to pick days with the current boat but keep it until you find exactly what you want and can afford. It might seem like being stuck with the family lollie, but will pay off in the end.

I have a 2002 Tracker Targa 17 that I hope is my last year in, it has been a very solid boat and handles rough stuff well but I need something my entire family can go out in at the same time.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Financing on a lower cost boat can be sketchy. Even a new boat can have major issues. Look at your current boat on a six year loan. If the motor blew could you drop the 3-4k for a new motor? It would suck to make payments on a boat sitting in the garage that doesn't work. I would dump everything you can into getting that boat paid for. Then look into trading up. Even if its just a little bigger or nicer waite for somthing to come along that wokrs for you. Ive got a 93 lund pro V single council no wind shield. It's paid for and does the job. I'd love a bigger boat and am saving up for a pontoon. Payments would just come out of my play money and as it stands I have no issue spending that as it is.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me there are other considerations than the monthly cost of the payments. I do not spend anywhere close to $2000/summer on my boat. Occasionally there is an expense that needs to be paid but I don't average that amount. Then again I'm not traveling 100 miles every weekend to fish.

I don't encourage anyone to bury themselves in debt but the one thing that is difficult to factor in is the enjoyment. How do you put a price on an activity that you only thought you enjoyed only to find out your wife also enjoys and is actually encouraging you to consider a bigger boat. Don't lose the precious woman. Only you and your prize can answer how much you want to spend on monthly payments but the enjoyment the 2 of you could share might pass you by and that is unrecoverable.

Add in that some day your family size may increase and there is another opportunity for family time. Buying now and having the boat paid for before a family grows is another plus.

Simple answer - I see the need and desire for a bigger boat.
Difficult answer - Only you know what you can afford.

You have to be a bookkeeper like me. I don't count most of those items as fishing expenses because then it's easier to tell my wife it doesn't cost me much to fish now that I own the boat. She never notices that the trailer has new tires. The insurance is in with my homeowners so that doesn't count. I don't put the gas on the credit card and she never looks at my checkbook. Use a little ingenuity and the costs go way down. It's only an expense when it goes on the credit card.

That and she doesn't read NDA.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to be a bookkeeper like me. I don't count most of those items as fishing expenses because then it's easier to tell my wife it doesn't cost me much to fish now that I own the boat. She never notices that the trailer has new tires. The insurance is in with my homeowners so that doesn't count. I don't put the gas on the credit card and she never looks at my checkbook. Use a little ingenuity and the costs go way down. It's only an expense when it goes on the credit card.

That and she doesn't read NDA.

Looks like your trying to justify things to your self now!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84