What's everyone using for nets?

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple years ago for Father's Day, I bought my dad an ego s2 slider reach 48"-108" with clear rubber. He absolutely loves it, I've used it a few times with him and think it would be strictly a boat net not a shore net with mud, sand, dirt... What are your guys opinion? My wife and 2 boys ordered me the same one with the deep rubber and I think I'm gonna like it!!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Great topic. I am in need of a new (2nd) net. My big Nylon net is a disaster when cranking. Especially if I get into Pike. What does everyone suggest. Best bang for the buck.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a frabill conservation series with the extendable handle. It replaced a $6 ranger net that is now used for shore fishing. I've enjoyed the new net quite a bit but you're still going to get hook tangles. Not as bad as when they'll go through nylon netting but it will take a second to get a treble out. I've found that my jig will fall through the holes which takes me a minute to loop it back out.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ego S2 is a great net just don't lift a fish with it extended.

beckman is also very good but hard to find anymore.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where I normally fish, I gave up on nets. Carrying a net through the Sheyenne River Bottom Brush puts a guys patience to the test. Nets are like velcro for every twig and branch. Nettles seem to cling especially well to the mesh just long enough to give me a good stinging while taking them out. For me it's play the fish until I can hand land'em. I loose a fish here and there, but it's worth it not to have the aggravation of mixing nets and brush. In the boat, I use a Frabil flat front. I can't remember the model and the stickers are all worn off. Go Figure!!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frabill Conservation Series with extendable handle for my non-musky net as well. I use the Frabill Big Kahuna for my musky net.

Beckman's are awesome nets.....can't believe they aren't in business anymore.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently bought a frabill 20x24 folding net
love how compact it is and can store in boat compartment.
I don't like the mesh net it comes with. Replacing the mesh with a rubber one
Should be a perfect net for me once I do this

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my father a Beckman a few years ago and that net is the real deal. Built extremely well, extends if needed, has the weights to keep the net open in the water, and the netting is coated to reduce catching hooks. No complaints.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ego S2 is a great net just don't lift a fish with it extended.

beckman is also very good but hard to find anymore.

This is what I use. Not gonna say I'm nice to it either. I'm sure I've lifted plenty of fish with it extended, but yeah I've heard the horror stories. I guess the fish I catch are too small to damage it.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Frabill Halibut net for catfish, a Kuhuna for sturgeon and a Conservation Series in my walleye boat.

The one nets I use for catfishing are the more expensive PowerCatch series. What sold me on these in particular is it takes about 11 tons to wear the netting out. Replace and keep fishing.

fishin_4_eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing that I feel is important in a net is to have a rubber coating. I hate it when I'm spending time trying to get the hook out of the net, because it;s snagged in it. With the rubberized coating the hooks won't get caught in the net.

---------------

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the EGO s2 slider with the long handle. After one season, the internal gears jammed up inside it and the handle wouldn't stay extended. I snapped it open to get it to stay extended and now it won't collapse. Pretty much a solid stick now. I called the company and they sent me a new handle. I got a shorter one now and it works better. The really long handles just have to many gears or something. I personally prefer the old style where one handle slides inside the other and locks - no gears or other moving parts to malfunction. I like simple and reliable.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
A little different, but bear with me....

Wanted to get some suckers from a local creek so took a Frabil with sliding handle and pulled the handle out. I removed the clip and found a 20' extendable pool net handle. Drilled a hole and slid the head of the Frabil back on, clip popped into the new hole in the new handle and voila! A 20' sucker scooper! I can go from 5' to 20' in a matter of seconds....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A long handled one my buddy gave me. Need the long telescopic handle in the toon. It dipped it in some rubber coating now no more cranks.hooked in it.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
just ordered a ego s1 genesis 55 inch handle and a s2 black rubber net. Went with the s1 because of a few buddies who have had issues with the s2. Long net is nice for shorefishing devils lake but don't order the small net head unless you are planning on fishing for bluegills and perch only. Its alot smaller that I thought it was going to be. Ordered a large net to put on the handle instead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76