New Rifle Break-In

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently bought a new Tikka 6.5 and I’m far from an expert on rifles. Do you personally do anything to break in a new rifle barrel or just go shoot it? The more I read about it, the more confused I get!

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I clean the barrel after I get it just to make sure there isn't anything bad in there and then go shoot it until I feel like I should clean it or accuracy drops off. No need to wear a barrel prematurely. You may have to clean it more often with a factory barrel depending on the quality of it. Just my opinion and i'm sure others will chime in with opposite of mine.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I clean a new barrel every 3 rounds for first 15 or so shots during break in. I just do it because it makes it easier to push the patches through early on.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently bought a new Tikka 6.5 and I’m far from an expert on rifles. Do you personally do anything to break in a new rifle barrel or just go shoot it? The more I read about it, the more confused I get!

Unless something has changed, Tikka (and Sako) barrels are diamond lapped @ the factory to get rid of any tooling marks etc inside the bore. Personally, I'd give a Tikka 2-3 passes with a wet patch of nitro-solvent (Butch's Bore Shine, BoreTech Eliminator, Hoppe's, Shooters Choice, etc) on a jag, 2-3 dry patches to get the solvent out, 2-3 patches of rubbing alcohol to de-grease and then just go shoot.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I JB all my new factory barrels, for the most part.

Other than that, I don't "break them in". I've done strict regimental break in processes in the past and can't tell the difference with the ones I haven't.

I say POPPYCOCK to all the break in religious.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
You MUST break in a new barrel with the following process. Failure to do so will ruin the barrel and possibly give you erectile dysfunction.
1. Clean with gypsy tears.
2. Shoot three rounds with a smaller caliber. For example, shoot a 6mm Creed through your 6.5.
3. Clean again with a solution of Vaseline and dissolved moth balls.
4. Shoot three more rounds with a larger caliber. I'm thinking 7mm-08. -- Don't worry, with the vaseline residue in there, it will totally work.
5. I forget... something about a pinch of paprika...

Clearly I'm kidding, but I've seen "break in procedures" that are nearly that absurd. See Kurtr ^^^

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You MUST break in a new barrel with the following process. Failure to do so will ruin the barrel and possibly give you erectile dysfunction.
1. Clean with gypsy tears.
2. Shoot three rounds with a smaller caliber. For example, shoot a 6mm Creed through your 6.5.
3. Clean again with a solution of Vaseline and dissolved moth balls.
4. Shoot three more rounds with a larger caliber. I'm thinking 7mm-08. -- Don't worry, with the vaseline residue in there, it will totally work.
5. I forget... something about a pinch of paprika...

Clearly I'm kidding, but I've seen "break in procedures" that are nearly that absurd. See Kurtr ^^^

I'm having a hard tome holding the moths still so I can neuter them. Do you have any helpful hints?

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. Cleaned it good before I shot it. Decided against any formal break in procedure. Finally took it out and shot it yesterday. Was very happy with it. It’s a fun gun to shoot. Low recoil and accurate out of the box!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82