Downriggers

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was thinking of giving salmon fishing a try on the big lake. Wanted to get some downriggers but don't know which kind to get. I want some that I can take off when I'm not fishing. Was looking at some of the manual Cannon ones. Don't want to spend that much because I've never used one before.

Have a brother who lives in Sheboygen Wisconsin and says that salmon fishing is real big there. Might head over there if I can get the nack of it here.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really doesn’t matter too much as far as which ones you get they all offer quick release pivot pedestal mounts to the best of my knowledge

rapala_09

Honored Member
Every brand I know of is removable, and will just leave a little mounting plate left on the boat. If you are going with manual ones, it's going to be personal preference. I ran cannons for a couple years before going with electric ones. You can find them used for reasonable prices usually. I would not be afraid to put big jons or Scotty's on either. One nice feature on some of the nicer ones is being able to flip the boom up and down.
Best of luck! salmon fishing is great.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go with manual ones look around and don't pay much for them. I say that because you won't have them long. Salmon fishing is a blast and once you do it you'll get sick of those manual riggers FAST! Look around and find some used electric ones. You'll be happier in the long run. I say that from experience.

eliminator

Honored Member
gonefshn you are one hundred percent right on this one. If at all possible go with the electrics right away as you will get them anyway after a couple times with the manuals. Also if you look around you can get used ones at a good price. I use cannons but lots of friends have the other brands and we all seem to like them as they all work basically the same mechanically. I also mount mine on a removable board on my boat rather than mount them on plates on the boat and it seems to work fine for me.

Drayweb: if you are ever in Pick City, look me up and I would be glad to show you my setup. Also any questions, just send me a PM and I would be glad to try and answer it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82