Any Birders here?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister and brother in-law have got into birding the last few years, on turkey opener I decided to download the Merlin App to for fun while sitting in the he blind with my daughter, for kicks I used my pot call and got it to register as a turkey. Used it around home this weekend and got some that came up that I didn't know of Chipping Sparrow and European Starling, didn't get a positive visual ID so not sure if it got crossed from the stupid Grackle's. Been hearing a bird around dusk that I am pretty sure is some kind of owl but haven't been able to get Merlin to pick it up yet

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a cardinal that has been coming back to build a nest behind the neighbors house for the last couple years. I haven’t seen one of these in The Bismarck area my entire life up until a couple years ago when this one started coming around.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We never had any Orioles till 2 yrs ago. And now we have 2 pair. Plus a pair of Eurasian collared dove. And see more Meadowlarks this yr than the last 6 or 7 yrs. This is rural Fargo/Moorhead area

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister and brother in-law have got into birding the last few years, on turkey opener I decided to download the Merlin App to for fun while sitting in the he blind with my daughter, for kicks I used my pot call and got it to register as a turkey. Used it around home this weekend and got some that came up that I didn't know of Chipping Sparrow and European Starling, didn't get a positive visual ID so not sure if it got crossed from the stupid Grackle's. Been hearing a bird around dusk that I am pretty sure is some kind of owl but haven't been able to get Merlin to pick it up yet
I played with the Merlin app while deer hunting this year. Picked up some cool birds and identified some of the annoying ones that just wouldn't quit "singing"

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little update here regarding martins nesting in my house. A pair of martins stopped by this spring and would try to go into an empty hole. A dang sparrow would grab them by the tail and ride them to the ground. That torqued me off so I started cleaning the sparrows out every couple of days. Lo and behold, 1 day I saw the martins taking nesting material into the house hassle free. So 1 pair nested. I believe the young are mature now and I have a whole school of them visiting now. Next spring I will do things differently and hopefully several pairs will nest. The pic below is from today.
IMG_9324.jpeg
I had a house in my farmyard but couldn't keep the sparrows and starlings out. So I moved it a mile out in the pasture. It took 2 years before the martins found it and then only 2 pair. But this last year all 6 compartments were occupied. Cool birds.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update on the mystery bird. Last night Merlin was able to pick it up and I was able to cross it with a list of sounds in its library, turns out its a Wilson's Snipe which is cool to find out because I never knew they are the ones that make that noise even though I grew up seeing them all the time.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a cardinal that has been coming back to build a nest behind the neighbors house for the last couple years. I haven’t seen one of these in The Bismarck area my entire life up until a couple years ago when this one started coming around.
You know....they say a cardinal is really a past loved one coming back to visit and spend time with you!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend that lives in MN. About 5 years ago his father passed away in the fall. The next spring a cardinal showed up at his bird feeder which had never happened before. Stayed around for couple weeks then left.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister has some really good videos with a bird feeder camera.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is one bird i have never seen in ND. I have always wondered why so many school mascots were Cardinals when we dont have many around.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 34
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11