Babe Winkelman files for bankruptcy

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talent, on load from God.

Another of my brilliant originals. I heard some two-bit talk show radio host stole it from me in high school.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I concure with above statements about babes candure,fished the silverado bass tounement that chevrolet put on years back ,me as a chevy dealer was a shoe in,babe and his crew of guides were the pro's,I boated with his photography guy,babe was a complete asshole that day,he raced us to every spot that produced fish wilst pre fishing days before the tourney,bump boats a few times with him,photo guy didn't talk smack about babe but was clear he didn't like him.

turned out the photo guy was more of a fisherman than babe,he made the guiness book of records for the most consectutive days fishing,something like 640 days is what he told me.interesting story and we caught alot of fish,this was on gull lake minn where the linders live

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like the Babe lived a pretty good life. Fishing, drugs and bankrupt at seventy?!? Lol

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some go bankrupt due to things beyond their control. Some because they overspend and can't keep up with obligations. Feel sorry for the first group, no sympathy for the second. What really pisses me off are those who end up like nothing happened while those the they owed money had to swallow the losses. Sounds to me like Babe may have been in the latter group. At least with Ch.13 hopefully those who are owed money will recoup what they are owed.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was never impressed with Babe's show. My first impression was that he was a show-boater and didn't really WORK his way through a hunt. It's NOT difficult to have someone own land, have you come out there and sit in a blind, then wait for a buck to appear (knowing it's been in the same location for weeks), and pop off a round with a monster scope and zeroed rifle! He made it sound like he had just won the world series one-handed..... bleh

He may have been a pioneer with outdoors hunting on television, but there are far better folks that were as well. One of them is Tony Dean. Many other people have the personality to go with the exciting show. Babe, not so much.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get me started on Tony "drive 500 miles to perch fish, then lecture me about global warming" Dean. #$%^&>

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was never impressed with Babe's show. My first impression was that he was a show-boater and didn't really WORK his way through a hunt. It's NOT difficult to have someone own land, have you come out there and sit in a blind, then wait for a buck to appear (knowing it's been in the same location for weeks), and pop off a round with a monster scope and zeroed rifle! He made it sound like he had just won the world series one-handed..... bleh

He may have been a pioneer with outdoors hunting on television, but there are far better folks that were as well. One of them is Tony Dean. Many other people have the personality to go with the exciting show. Babe, not so much.

Fuck tony dean he is a con artist and a crook. Bankrupted the race track in brookings stole money from many a race car driver. Stole money from the state fair at huron at the race track there and the one in miller. Want to get the old guys fired up bring up that name. He is one of the most hated by every one that has ever met him at a race track.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha - he was a kindly smoothie on TV but he seemed like a guy who was used to using his reputation or "charm" to get what he wanted and if you bucked him you were foolish because you were bucking a real expert

he/I had some robust email arguments about his hypocrisy

RIP in any event

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've watched many fishing shows in the day including Babes and even those on outdoor channels today. They really suck compared to what you can find on YouTube today. The shows on TV do nothing but show you a guy catching a fish in a sparkly boat chatting with some other dude. They are very polished and have the best equipment and play shitty music in the background. YouTube shows us what it's really like to fish and showing techniques that they would never show on TV, like shore fishing. YouTube is also not afraid to show bad days fishing where they catch one or no fish. I can relate to YouTube and learn from it. I can't relate to the crap I see on TV because I don't have their electronics, I don't have a guide (or a local who really knows what they are doing) and I don't have a sparkly boat. Al Lindner is an exception.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah Tom Boley & Uncut Angling are good stuff. If you like salt water fishing another is StanzFam, Nicks fun to watch makes me want to get one of my bucket list fishing trips done sooner than later.

Whats good about youtube is the rawness that a lot of the anglers use in their videos. A lot of the stories get broken down to much with editing for TV & I hate commercials.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing 2 divorces may have set babe back a little, I haven't watched him since the 80s when he was married to Char . Al and Ron seem like good guys from what I have heard and saw of them on TV. I've never met them but my Brother in law who is a Historian says we are related somehow. The one from back in those days that I got tired of real fast was Jimmy Huston.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah Tom Boley & Uncut Angling are good stuff. If you like salt water fishing another is StanzFam, Nicks fun to watch makes me want to get one of my bucket list fishing trips done sooner than later.

Whats good about youtube is the rawness that a lot of the anglers use in their videos. A lot of the stories get broken down to much with editing for TV & I hate commercials.

I have fished with Bud n’ Mary’s three separate days. Once with Rick Stanczyk. They are a great outfit. Super nice guys. Got my first tarpon with Rick

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup Bud-N-Marys is the bucket list. I'd like to take a week of fishing down there. We have some friends that guide in the Keys also.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had three very positive experiences with Bud ‘n Mary’s.....I don’t think you’d regret a trip with them at all

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31