Base layers

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm looking at getting some new cold weather base layers and wondering what guys thoughts were on the Cabela's thermal zone standhunter? Any other recommendations? These will primarily be used for stand hunting or predator hunting in extreme cold.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Marino wool!!! Wicks away moisture, and keeps you warm. Not familiar with the Cabela's thermal zone, but anything with marino wool is something to give a serious consideration.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Merino is great against the skin, but you'll need a good insulation layer for sitting in the extreme cold. I've been wearing down jackets/pants the last few years and absolutely love it. King of the Mountain makes some excellent cold weather wool jackets and bibs.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabela's Standhunters are super warm. Too warm for much activity. Super late season fishing or super early season fishing is when I wear mine. Put them under a primaloft outer layer and you are super warm without a lot of bulk.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Merino wool no if's or and's. By far the best. Especially if you're on a trip where you can't wash them after each use or do anything where you'll sweat or get wet. Synthetics will stink after a use or two and loose their warmth when wet. I like Patagonia merino wool items, but I know other companies have good products as well. My Patagonia ones have numerous times been accidently put in the dryer and not been destroyed at all. Before trying their Merino wool base products I'd always found wool way too itchy for me to wear. But their Merino wool products don't itch a bit and last forever.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like others have said Merino is best. Those standhunters would probably good for just sitting though. I wouldn't want to do anything active in them. A personally buy Patagonia Merino tops and Capilene bottoms(dont sweat much or ever get cold legs so cant see spending the extra $$ for my bottom half). I know with merino i can use if for everything and just add whatever insulation and shells i need depending on conditions. Everything has its place.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
running the new sitka base layers with the polygiene and there is no stink after 7 days i tried to make them stink. I got both some first lite and sitka and it will be sitka for me from now on it just fits and feels better to me but the first lite is high quality to.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kuiu. The zip off merino bottoms are sweet along with tops. (210 I believe is the heaviest they offer). Probably not heavy enough for still hunting in extreme cold but any other situation with good layers over them they will fit the bill.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha! I already own some of the over priced under armour stuff. It's all coming apart at the seams and not as warm as I would like it to be.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha! I already own some of the over priced under armour stuff. It's all coming apart at the seams and not as warm as I would like it to be.

And you smell like the protesters after only wearing it for an hour

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
picked up some terimar on sale a couple years ago. I wear it hunting and under my work clothes all winter and really like it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm looking at getting some new cold weather base layers and wondering what guys thoughts were on the Cabela's thermal zone standhunter? Any other recommendations? These will primarily be used for stand hunting or predator hunting in extreme cold.

Cabelas MTP Polar Weight are warm and comfortable when stationary in very cold weather. I think the Wookie Suit (Thermal Zone Stand Hunter) would be even warmer but I haven't found it clearanced enough for me yet.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the input! Definitely going to look into some of the other options that were mentioned.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31