Battery powered lawn mowers

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
From those I've spoken to that bought one haven't like it so far. They cannot finish the lawn in one sitting so they charge the battery back up and make another round of it the next day. I don't think the power is there if the grass grows taller than 3-1/2"; too much strain on the motor.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love mine. It’s an 18 volt Milwaukee. Runs on two 12 amp/hour batteries. Bags better than the gas Toro I had. I live I. Town, in Se Bismarck and I can do mine twice on a charge. It’s quiet, no gas or oil, stands upright so small footprint, and has legit lights for late night or early morning.

Only gripe is that at $1000 last spring, it’s as much as some pretty high end gassers.

But I don’t winterize, so can take it out any nice day in the fall and suck up leaves.

Never once wished I’d bought another gasser.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got a Honda mower with electric start, it's been just a worthless piece of shit, that little dinky battery doesn't have enough power to in gauge the starter, then the auto choke that's another thing, last year had to use starting fluid to get it running. Been looking at the Milwaukee m18 mower, all my tools and ice augers are Milwaukee, might as well go that route

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rider necessary, but if lived in town I would seriously lean towards ego.
Don't own any Milwaukee or that would be the way to go.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I have a DeWalt rear wheel drive walk behind mower. It has more power for thick grass than any gas push mower I've used. It will do over 5000 sf on one charge, which suits my city lot just fine. But I live in the country and use a 25 hp John Deere on my personal lawn. Couple of my neighbors have gone with electric zero turn riders...they can mow half their yard on one charge (1 acre lots).

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love mine. It’s an 18 volt Milwaukee. Runs on two 12 amp/hour batteries. Bags better than the gas Toro I had. I live I. Town, in Se Bismarck and I can do mine twice on a charge. It’s quiet, no gas or oil, stands upright so small footprint, and has legit lights for late night or early morning.

Only gripe is that at $1000 last spring, it’s as much as some pretty high end gassers.

But I don’t winterize, so can take it out any nice day in the fall and suck up leaves.

Never once wished I’d bought another gasser.
Good input! I'm thinking of going this route with a Milwaukee! Might as well as i have many items Milwaukee.
Screw gun( use with my kdrill ice fishing)
1/2 impact driver
leaf blower
weed eater
hedge trimmer
flood light
2 battery chargers
4,5,and 9 amp batteries.
I have a small lawn so thinking 2 12's will do the trick.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my city lot works fine. Nice thing is cutting grass early or late and not bothering the neighbors.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had a Black&Decker for 3 years now. Came with 2 batteries, can get entire yard cut with both batts long as grass not real long or damp. Light and quiet for sure...cuts ok...just gotta stay on top of the grass growth...can't let it get long!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old milwaukee to0$$$$ expensive for this guy. Its like minnkotas. 12v 24v 36v which one u gonna fish all day with. Ego is rated the best based on what i could find.

I did jump in to the battery world of mowers - was looking at toro/ego. I ended up with a 80v greenworks comes with two blades and two batteries. costco $529
Bought it for the lake. My old honda still doing lawn at home.

I will note one of the batteries of these mowers does fit stikemaster auger. I dont remember which one.

i looked outside and just by me buying that battery shit can see the clouds clear and the sky bluer. I am doing my part !!!ha

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winterize a mower?
$1k for a mower?
Charge batteries?

Buy a $100 gas mower from wal mart. Lasts ten years and mow oversticks, rocks, dog chews and kid toys

If it breaks in ten years buy a new one.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Got a Honda mower with electric start, it's been just a worthless piece of shit, that little dinky battery doesn't have enough power to in gauge the starter, then the auto choke that's another thing, last year had to use starting fluid to get it running. Been looking at the Milwaukee m18 mower, all my tools and ice augers are Milwaukee, might as well go that route
You must have gotten a lemon , I have had 3 the first one is 30 yrs old and my son has it for his home, the second one is 20 years old and I use at the cabin and the third is 10 years old . DId have to stick a new coil in the 20 yr old one last year but thats about it

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must have gotten a lemon , I have had 3 the first one is 30 yrs old and my son has it for his home, the second one is 20 years old and I use at the cabin and the third is 10 years old . DId have to stick a new coil in the 20 yr old one last year but thats about it
Same with mine, battery is the original 4 years old now, starts it right up, never put a nickel into it

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sounds like a loose wire somewhere - battery, starter, etc.

OR

I've had e-start mowers that drove me batshit crazy with loose connections. The Honda motor on my Dixon has the starter solenoid INSIDE the damn starter motor :mad:. It made the battery seem weak - when it wasn't. Want it fixed?... buy a whole new starter motor. WTF.

So I bought a $12 external solenoid at Menards, rewired the key switch to control the external starter solenoid and bingo - it now starts like a champ.

1713453793830.png

There's a youtube vid out there somewhere that clued me in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 181
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90