BDC Scopes

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jiffy hit the nail on the head. Build a chart and operate off it.

The nice thing about building a chart and using a scope that has turrets is that after some practice, you'll be able to shoot longer distances without any guessing. I like being able to shoot a long ways because animals couldn't give a shit about you if your a long ways off... makes for more relaxed shooting conditions ie less of the adrenaline rush that affects our shots.

Yea you'd have to carry a rangefinder and range your targets, but when you have the ability to, and are comfortable taking 350+yard shots, you'll find that you will have time to range your target and dial up your scope without being rushed.

A guy doesn't need to go out and spend thousands of dollars on a scope either. $250 on amazon gets a guy a vortex diamondback tactical 4-12x40 which will be more than enough to do any job your gonna ask of it while deer hunting. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR4F4QK/?tag=nodakangler10-20

I have used both kinds of scopes, (BDC/Turret) and much prefer Turreted Scopes. A little bit of testing with a turreted optic removes all the guess work.

If you decide you wanna try out a turreted optic let me know. I'll gladly take you out to try my 6.5cm.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As you all have read, I flung lead at least 8 times before connecting on my last shots of three.
2 of the deer were little long shots in my eyes, but probably nothing for some of you masters out there...(grin)

Is getting a BDC scope were all the hype??? And how do you master calculating yardage without the ranger finder, I feel at some point, the darn thing can cause loss of shooting window if fart around with it and they dang deer are moving to get the hell out of area. specially in the 200-300 yd range.

You military guys got it down to a T I bet

AND....go......oh, don't say practice practice practice....try to hit a target absolutely still with no adrenaline rush is not the same thing....(buzz) wrong answer

No need for the bdc. If I remember correctly. The standard crosshairs can be used to figure out distance as a mill dot scope. Check out your paperwork that came with the scope and should explain it all.

If that isn't enough than welcome to the world of long range shooting!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I envy fellas that have the time and or land to not have to take shots at running deer. I mean that. I truly treasure the few times ive had nice bucks on the stick or pods during shooting hours at shooting distances. I can count 5 times in my life. More with does. I get to hunt quite a bit i think compared to the average Joe. Definitely more than average. And I've got access to land. Probably not great deer land. But, land. And it ain't easy getting a nice buck in the crosshairs standing still at a shooting distance. Even getting a bedded deer up when you know he lays in cattails often requires a running shot. I think for lots of hunters outside the badlands, deer drives and walking become a necessity. Which means moving targets. So, a BDC becomes worthless. And the only thing that matters is practice if that's even possible to practice. Kind of off topic. So, my apologies.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the reticle Kurtr posted on the first page of posts. I didn't notice if his was mils or minutes. Keep in mind you can range with a minute of angle like you can with mildots and I think better. On the other hand if you know the range you can estimate size like antlers that are 16 inches or 20 inches wide. On my AR15 I do have the Nikon reticle and it's second focal plane. It works perfect with Strelok+ as you can slide the power and change the distances on your phone.
For many years I had a chart on the side of my rifle like Jiffy mentioned. Now I use a very thin permanent market and print information to 1200 yards inside my rear scope cover. Flip it up and hold over for every 50 yards and windage for 10mph at 300, 600, 900, and 1200. For a half dozen of my rifles I have two or even three rear scope covers for different loads. If I hunt the mountains I pull the tape out of the rear scope cover and redo them for 4000 ft elevation, 6000 ft and 8000 ft.
Temperature can screw you up too, but if you need to shoot fast learn the reaction of your cartridge, bullet, and powder you use. For me one click up or down every 300 yards for a 20 degree temperature change from the temperature when I chronographed puts me minute of coyote. I try to chronograph when temperature is between 55 and 65 degrees because my program default is 59 degrees. Don't pull your cartridges out of a warm pocket or vehicle and chronograph.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I envy fellas that have the time and or land to not have to take shots at running deer. I mean that. I truly treasure the few times ive had nice bucks on the stick or pods during shooting hours at shooting distances. I can count 5 times in my life. More with does. I get to hunt quite a bit i think compared to the average Joe. Definitely more than average. And I've got access to land. Probably not great deer land. But, land. And it ain't easy getting a nice buck in the crosshairs standing still at a shooting distance. Even getting a bedded deer up when you know he lays in cattails often requires a running shot. I think for lots of hunters outside the badlands, deer drives and walking become a necessity. Which means moving targets. So, a BDC becomes worthless. And the only thing that matters is practice if that's even possible to practice. Kind of off topic. So, my apologies.

must be way different up there I have never shot a running deer and every deer has been killed on public land except two. Must not be impossible to shoot deer standing as bow hunters kill a few with the pictures put out. Is there a lot of deer drives like pheasant hunting for deer?

other than jiffy I would like to see people use there reticle to range a target I have done it a few times with given measurements on the target and was still lucky to come with in 20 yards of true distance and I practice that a fair amount. It’s easy in concept hard in execution. 20 at 300 not such a big deal 20 at 700 is a miss.

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong with BDC as long as you know where every part of each circle (or line) hits center and what wind speeds do to your bullet at those distances. I prefer to dial but BDC will work just fine.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong with BDC as long as you know where every part of each circle (or line) hits center and what wind speeds do to your bullet at those distances. I prefer to dial but BDC will work just fine.

Here’s what’s wrong about Nikons BDC (IMO)

1. No lines for holding for wind
2. Circles are too busy
3. The BDC subtentions are not consistently numbered such as an MOA or Mil reticle

- - - Updated - - -

Would I take a Nikon BDC over a standard duplex: maybe/probably. Are there better options out there in a similar price point: absolutely. It’s not 2002 anymore. Nikon has been behind the game for at least 10-15 years

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
must be way different up there I have never shot a running deer and every deer has been killed on public land except two. Must not be impossible to shoot deer standing as bow hunters kill a few with the pictures put out. Is there a lot of deer drives like pheasant hunting for deer?

During bow there is a lot less pressure and you are sitting in blinds and tree stands waiting for them. That's a lot tougher to do on public land during rifle season. Where i hunt most of the deer are sitting in deep cattails where there is no way to see them until you step on them. Pushing deer like your walking for pheasants is common on ND public land. I've shot 3 of my last 4 bucks running, i wish i didn't have to, but it is what it is.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think for lots of hunters outside the badlands, deer drives and walking become a necessity. Which means moving targets. So, a BDC becomes worthless.

I disagree. I took this buck in '07 trotting behind a doe @ 325yds and used the 300yd "bowtie" in Leupold's B&C reticle to very good success. The far edge of each bowtie is the hold-off for 10MPH wind, I used that as my aiming point on the trotting buck.

Pic085.jpg

I prefer to dial elevation and hold-off for wind/lead, but, if you know the values of a given holdover system they can be used to good effect as well.

bman940

I am also a fan of Nikon's BDC reticle and not just because I have been doing freelance work for them for 10 years. When they first came out with the BDC reticle scope a friend sent me one to try out on my KS hunt. This was so long ago I don't even recall, needless to say, I had success. Two doe came out at 50 yards, I shot one and the other took off into a cut field and stopped right next to a cedar bush I had ranged at 499 yards. I figured since I had one down I may as well try to fill my second doe tag. I put the 3rd circle on her shoulder, pulled the trigger on my .300 Win and she fell over. I was sold! I never did send that scope back either. Once Nikon came out with their ballistic program accuracy went up considerably. Hitting soda cans at 600 yards was not a tough thing to do and blowing up 4-inch jars of tannerite an easy feat. You can use Spot On with a Mrad/MOA or BDC scope, just enter the data and you are good to go.

I do agree that using a BDC scope is a heck of a lot easier when you have an accurate rangefinder. When you know the distance it is quick and easy to get on target and make an accurate shot. It's been a long time since my son and I have taken a deer inside of 200 yards when hunting TX, OK or KS.

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting stuff, like reading everyone's take on the subject...next thing is...what power you mostly use your on the scope?
Mine was on 6X when I shot my deer. I didn't mention yardage. but it around the 200-250 range. it definitely wasn't a 100 yd shot, next time the range finder comes along.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting stuff, like reading everyone's take on the subject...next thing is...what power you mostly use your on the scope?
Mine was on 6X when I shot my deer. I didn't mention yardage. but it around the 200-250 range. it definitely wasn't a 100 yd shot, next time the range finder comes along.

A BDC reticle on a second focal plane scope won’t work as advertised unless you set the magnification per the scopes directions.

- - - Updated - - -

You can mess with the magnification, but it changes the subtension.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

I carry my rifle on the lowest power setting anything from 3x up to 6.5x depending upon what rifle/scope I'm using. I'll typically go to max power if I have a longer shot on a calm stationary animal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha ha - I got burned several times by not returning to low power

now I check it every 15 minutes whilst still-hunting

one of the saddest events ever is a scope full of blurry fur

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
must be way different up there I have never shot a running deer and every deer has been killed on public land except two. Must not be impossible to shoot deer standing as bow hunters kill a few with the pictures put out. Is there a lot of deer drives like pheasant hunting for deer?"

and, like i said, i suspect a lot of ND deer hunters would be jealous of your situation. a vast majority of deer hunters get a max of a few days in the field. i know of plenty who don't get to hunt more than one weekend for various reasons. those "hunts" rarely involve much scouting. they travel to their hunting area on friday and head home on sunday. the only scouting occurs whilst actual hunting. its their once a year social/family gathering that they have been doing as a tradition for decades. oftentimes far from what they now call home. for them, time wise, its not even close to comparable to bow hunting. so, yes... it becomes almost like pheasant hunting for deer. not ideal and sure, its at their own fault. but, that is their reality. and that reality all too often involves running deer.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, yes... it becomes almost like pheasant hunting for deer. not ideal and sure, its at their own fault. but, that is their reality. and that reality all too often involves running deer.

Off the top of my head I think of 25 deer and/or elk that I've killed that have been moving before the shooting ever started. A couple at <25yds hauling ass out of cattails and a few over 300 including 1 bull elk running for all he was worth.

Movers don't worry me much, not a lot different than accounting for wind once you've done it a bit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18