Best country style sausage

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so while I usually make my own venison sausage, I've had a non-member ask me to request recommendations for taking venison to for getting turned into Country Style sausage.

So where are your favorites within an hour, or so, of Bismarck?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was never disappointed with the smoked country style sausage that West Dakota Meats made me. Love their teriyaki jerky, too.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Too much going on this year and we weren't able to make our own sausage. We had both country & pepper jack sausage made with 3Be Meats in Bismarck. It is pretty dang tasty and I didn't think the bill was overly expensive.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep 3BE and West Dakota are both good.

If your buddy is sitting on meat now, get it in before rifle season.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took some to 3BE this year for country style. First time trying them. Flavor I would describe as ok, but I think they used cheap pork on the mix. The sausage is very greasy. First time I cooked some up, there was a massive amount of grease in the bottom of the pan. Probably a 1/4" deep in a 10" pan. I am very disappointed in the sausage.

Never had sausage as West Dakota Meats, but there Jerky is incredible.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took some to 3BE this year for country style. First time trying them. Flavor I would describe as ok, but I think they used cheap pork on the mix. The sausage is very greasy. First time I cooked some up, there was a massive amount of grease in the bottom of the pan. Probably a 1/4" deep in a 10" pan. I am very disappointed in the sausage.

Never had sausage as West Dakota Meats, but there Jerky is incredible.
Weird, my country sausage isn't like that at all, I've also had the bulk pork breakfast sausage from there many times and that was fine too.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weird, my country sausage isn't like that at all, I've also had the bulk pork breakfast sausage from there many times and that was fine too.

Yeah, I was surprised. I heard so many positive comments about there sausage, I decided to try them this year. I have had some of their other eats and they have been great. Maybe I just got a lemon? Not sure. I did clean the meat up really well before I took it in too.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
We make our own sausage, but bought our trimmings from 3Be, I didn't think it was greasy at all. Thats not adding deer either, all pork.

I've heard of some people that add 10lbs of beef to 90lbs of pork for their country style sausage. Personal preference I guess.

Are we getting into the cheese debate with this forum? Pepperjack or Cheddar? All of our country style from last year had pepperjack in it. Most likely will be doing the same this year.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always have good luck at Bosch's down in Linton. I've been going there for 10+ years now.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wishek gets my vote. We buy seasonings there when doing our own.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wishek!!! Hand downs

Couple years ago at a family gathering a friend made two batches of country sausage and told us to pick the one we liked best. One was Wishek sausage and the other was Napoleon sausage. Turned out about half couldn't tell the difference and the other half split right down the middle for each kind. Not much of a vote for Wishek, or maybe high praise for Napoleon. It's all in the taste of the beholder.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to get all Wishek sausage. When 3be opened I tried there’s. Glad I did cause I no longer need to go to Wishek for sausage. Also the price is right at both places. Now I’m craving some. I’ve been really impressed with 3bes

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
3be summer sausage is good but their country is no comparison to west dakota imo. New salem does a good job too

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My father-in-law and I used to make our own. Since his battle with cancer and passing away 6 years ago, I have taken it to West Dakota Meats, but tried 2K Meats in Beulah. I was impressed with 2K and will likely use them again this year. They make really good Habanaro/Mango stick, plus they make excellent cheddar sausage and maple sausage. They do nice job on summer sausage.

hoping to stick a deer before rifle season to get some fresh stuff for the kids to have when they come for the holidays.

Last edited:

dschaible

Established Member
Meyer meat in Garrison/Parshall is very good, nice little smoke, nice color and no heartburn. Never had Wishek before.

I have tried valley elk cheese in Minot and prefer the Meyer venision/moose cheese sausage, I'm guessing it would be the same with country.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
My father-in-law and I used to make our own. Since his battle with cancer and passing away 6 years ago, I have taken it to West Dakota Meats, but tried 2K Meats in Beulah. I was impressed with 2K and will likely use them again this year. They make really good Habanaro/Mango stick, plus they make excellent cheddar sausage and maple sausage. They do nice job on summer sausage.

hoping to stick a deer before rifle season to get some fresh stuff for the kids to have when they come for the holidays.

I would also recommend 2K in Beulah, they do a very nice job overall on a variety of their sausage. They also make some excellent "Colorado" deer jerky, but at $5 a pound to get strip jerky done, it hurts the wallet quickly. Krause's in Hazen also does a stellar job on their country style sausage. No complaints there either throughout the years.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I have had venison for sausage it goes to Oakes. When not I would go one a meat run to Oakes, Ashley, Wishek and Napoleon. Pick up a half dozen rings at each place for a nice variety. Never been disappointed, they all sell good product. JAH GUTES ESSEN

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 9
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4