Bio-lume

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I ice fished I many times sank a glowstick near by. It didn't seem to do much. I thought they'd be freakn' out. No. I still believe in the concept. IMHO it's better down south off a dock.

- - - Updated - - -

In full disclosure I only did this in Darling during the darkness I could fish.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't see it working because my underwater camera has IR and led lights, when I turn either on they spook the fish.
I wonder if a guy could takes some small rocks and spray paint them with glow color. If that would be ideal for spear fishing

loocway

From what I read, it can take awhile for these to attract fish. Sometimes a few hours or more if alot of fish aren't nearby. I guess they first attract zooplankton and bait fish, then followed by predator fish. If fish are already in the vicinity, they tend to hold them there. I guess they work quite well for crappie. Of course I'm wondering if it would bring in the "wally szczerbiaks" and if it is legal.

- - - Updated - - -

They say you aren't supposed to fish close to them. Definitely not right next to the whole your are fishing. 10-20ft away or more I think

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I read, it can take awhile for these to attract fish. Sometimes a few hours or more if alot of fish aren't nearby. I guess they first attract zooplankton and bait fish, then followed by predator fish. If fish are already in the vicinity, they tend to hold them there. I guess they work quite well for crappie. Of course I'm wondering if it would bring in the "wally szczerbiaks" and if it is legal.

I don't believe light is "chum".

I did the above prescribed method and can't report any result. I thought I brought a trick up here from down South and was going to show you fellers something. No. If this would give you confidence; go for it. It travels down your line. Zen in fishing is NOT fake. Bait the hook with your heart. This belief is quite prevalent in tournament bass anglers for good reason.

loocway

"It is illegal to introduce anything into waters of the state for the purpose of attempting to attract fish (e.g. chumming) that is not attached or applied to a lure as defined on page 17. Decoys used while darkhouse spearfishing are excluded."

It's using chumming as an example. The intent of lighting would be to attract fish. And it definitely wouldn't be attached to your fishing line. Why I'm leaning towards it is possibly illegal. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
My opinion on light. If it is new light to the area, it does not attract walleye. I believe it will actually spook them. On the other hand, light that has been long established, does attract walleye. For instance: a yard light, dock lights, etc ...

just my 2 cents

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm. I guess you've answered your own question and I was a wild outlaw.

Well, the time has run out for my ticket and you have a first hand account.

th

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the time when you question legality it isn't unless you have a lawyer at your disposal.

Last edited:

loocway

I think the wording could be a little more specific in the proclamation. I'm not saying I am sure it is illegal. Just wondering if anybody did know for sure. Otherwise, would be fun to try.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO, the wording is very specific. This is illegal in ND.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had homemade lights many years ago, didn't do any good, seamed like beer did the best job

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely illegal in ND but definitely works as well especially on crappie and smelt. played with light off the dock allot and it spooks the fish straight off if it's already dark but with in a few minutes the little bait fish are drawn in and soon after the bigger fish start working the edges. seen guys in CO doing this for lake trout. just a bunch of old flashlights some on top of the ice and some set in hols drilled about ten inches into the ice.

If you ever want to see a real shit show put a halogen shop light on the end of a dock in summer and step back. within minutes thousands of bugs will swarm the light and soon hundreds of them crash into the water and at that point it's hay kids watch how the food chain works and teach them the life lesson that there is always a bigger fish.

20161114_094854.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 95
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47