charging gun owners for acts of others

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]"While interviewing Thomas Wolfe and Sara Gerwig separately, Thomas admitted that he left his handgun on top of his gun safe in their 1st floor master bedroom. Thomas stated that the handgun is always loaded, with a live round in the chamber," the complaint continued. "Thomas uses the handgun as his every day carry gun, when he leaves the house.

With little kids in the house why would you leave a gun loaded on top of the safe? [/FONT]

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess you cant leave anything that could be used to kill someone in the house with children? Would it be any different if he had stabbed his sibling with a knife and killed him?

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess you cant leave anything that could be used to kill someone in the house with children? Would it be any different if he had stabbed his sibling with a knife and killed him?

You can't accidentally discharge a knife. To kill someone with a knife you have to 1) be within arms reach, and 2) be strong enough to inflict mortal damage. That said, basic childcare would include not leaving anything harmful within reach of a child (gun, knife, Tide Pod, etc).

I'm all for 2nd Amendment rights, but leaving a loaded gun where a child can get access to it is just plain stupid and he should be charged. It's these few idiots that give all gun owners a bad name and the anti-gun mob another reason to ban guns/restrict gun ownership.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whether he assumed the safety was on or not, The fact that this 13 year old thought it was okay to point a gun at someone, much less pull the trigger because they were jumping on the bed tells me there were loads of issues here long before this tragedy unfolded. A 3 year old might not understand it, but a 13 year old knows what they are doing. They may not fully grasp the cascade of consequences of what might happen, but they know what happens to the bullet when a trigger is squeezed. The parents definitely own some of the responsibility, but I’m glad it’s not up to me to sort out how much. The father in this story didn’t point the gun and he didn’t pull the trigger, but he sure set the table nicely for something bad to happen. Sad, sad deal. One kid is dead and the lives of everyone else involved are basically over.

Also, and I know I will catch some flak for this on this site, but in my opinion there is NO reason to have that live round in the chamber unless you are about to use the gun. This kind of accident would be prevented every goddam time if that rule was followed. It’s pretty easy to move a bullet from the magazine to the chamber at the time you feel you need to use it. I’m not talking about hunting or bear protection here either, but in my opinion you are just begging for trouble if you think you need a round chambered at all times.

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I'm in physical possession of my CCW there is always a round in the chamber. (unless the law deems it otherwise...ie hunting ect.)

When I'm not in physical possession of my CCW the chamber is always empty.

It's just too easy for bad things to happen when you can't physically control them.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
When taking the CC test my wife asked the instructor if she could have a round in the chamber when she was carrying his response was " an unloaded gun is only a club". how many of you guys keep a loaded gun beside their bed?

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m a lot more dangerous with a gun that has a couple rounds in the magazine than I am with a club.
In less time than it takes to think about it, I can turn only one of those into a gun with a round in the chamber.

I have three young kids so my situation may be different than someone else, understandably. My guns are all locked up at all times except one, which is way out of reach of even the oldest kid and does not have ammo in it. My kids are very well versed in gun safety for their age…but the youngest is 5 and the oldest is only 10 so I will take my chances clubbing the shit out of someone with my shotgun if they come in while my dog chews up their Achilles…but if I’m given two and a half seconds warning, I do have some hidden ammo somewhere fairly close to that shotgun. I’m counting on my dog, in addition to my security system, to provide me with more than enough of a heads up.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I concur with Dirty, there's no reason for me to keep a gun with a round chambered in the house. It takes maybe 3/4 of a second to rack one in my 1911, I guess if that's too much time to save my life from an intruder...I'll just die.

Also, I am of the firm belief that the sound of someone chambering a round, whether it's for my 1911, my pump shotgun, or even my semi-auto shotgun, that sends a quick and distinct message to anyone within earshot that shit's about to get real. I'm guessing not many will still be around when I open the bedroom door.

If you really need a round chambered at all times in your home, you may wish to re-evaluate your risk level and see if there's some other way to reduce the risk.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad situation and my heart goes out to all involved. I will say this though, If parents are charged due to their child's actions using firearms, then Alec Baldwin should be a slam dunk conviction. We shall see what constitutes and accident involving firearms and what doesn't........won't we.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just me and wife so loaded mags, and thats just for putting the intruder out of his hurting after my dog turning 20# of legs and ass into pure shit. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33