Colorado wolves

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to de rail but people like ty stubblefield quitting once he got to know the inner workings and others who have left and then to have a chairman like Ryan Busse the true colors are showing. Backing people like Deb Haaland who wants to cut use and hunting acres any chance she gets sure seems counter productive to what they say they are doing.
Apologies for editing my post after you quoted it. Overall they seem to do more good than otherwise and nobody seems to stick up for public access and protection more they do. We’ll see if anything changes now that Land Tawney is gone.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
In what boat would nd be in the same way? Even as bad as the relationship may be up there i dont feel nd has gone the full liberal crazy as colorado has.

The number of landowners is falling, just about every day a large landowner buys out a smaller one in ND. The number of hunters is also falling as a percentage of the population.

In politics and elections, numbers are important.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wolves only eat Elk meat or unborn Elk so the cattle man should have no concern with his calves, cows or bulls and i will still have my beef steaks. And just in case their munching on the rear end of your cow you better not shoot. db

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if it's true or not, but from what I heard is if a wolf does mysteriously die, they will ping all phones within a 5 mile radius and then you get to prove your innocence. If that is the case, just make sure you don't bring your phone ;)
Not a chance!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good plan but you better be smart they have gps trackers with death monitors and some nerd sitting in a room watching there every move with QRF teams waiting to investigate. If only they put this much effort in border controll
Therefore they aren't wild animals... :mad:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd guess you'd be made an example of if you ever got caught killing a wuff.

No doubt it wouldn't be pretty.

The risk reward ratio on that one is too far out of whack for this guy.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A story told to me by the guy who shot a wolf in the Turtle Mt a number of years ago. Told game and fish the wolf got to close to him, scare and kill and game and fish said, okay??????

Now we go north about 500 miles to shed hunt. There are wolves there as seen by the tracks in the sand. We can hear them at night. Once one of us had a wolf walking 25 yards away alongside him for a ways. They are big.

Once i believe a pack was tracking us. By the howls they were getting close, but we reached our 4-wheeler and they were gone. I have never had a wolf on camera, seen one here so not sure if they are around.
And i do not want them around for the purpose of elk control. I cannot believe the cattleman in Colorado will allow this nor most people who spend time in the outdoors. I would assume, as all critters, they are more scared of us as we would be of them. Prefer not to find out.

In time who will control the wolf numbers? db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wolves and grizzly bears are an inevitability. You can't shoot either of them in ND unless your life is being threatened. This means if they wander here and decide to homestead, there ain't shiite we can do about it, even if we wanted to.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wolves and grizzly bears are an inevitability. You can't shoot either of them in ND unless your life is being threatened. This means if they wander here and decide to homestead, there ain't shiite we can do about it, even if we wanted to.
That would be up to state to prosecute. I know the wolves shot by accident down here gets you a stern talking to and a warning.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The “I thought it was a big yote” excuse has worked a couple times here. Hell I don’t think anything happened to the guy who shot the wolverine either.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I remember correctly, the wolverine was harassing his cattle.

Personally, I don't think I've heard of anyone in ND using the "it was a big coyote" defense. They don't look all that similar.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do recall it happening twice a few years back.

“A large canine taken by a coyote hunter early in January east of Hillsboro, N.D., in Traill County has been confirmed as a gray wolf. The hunter apparently shot the gray wolf, a protected species rarely seen in North Dakota, thinking it was a coyote. According to Gary Rankin, district game warden for the state Game and Fish Department in Larimore, N.D., the hunter called him after realizing the animal probably was too big to be a coyote. Rankin then picked up the animal.”

And also the one shot and left wounded near Edinburg:
“The day after dispatching the wolf, Freeman said he received a call from a man who said he'd shot the animal, thinking it was a coyote. Gray wolves are federally protected under the Endangered Species Act, but the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service isn't pressing charges, Freeman said.” That guy may have faced state charges though.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a lone wolf 2 years ago about 3/8 of a mile away. I said coyote wife said wolf. We got a little closer and she was right. This was 1/2 mile west and 1 mile south of Concrete. He had a lonesome look about him. :) Also very skittish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88