Deer Rifle Recommendtions for 12-year-old daughter

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a youth Model 243, can't beat the caliber, get her using ear plugs it will stop the flinch later on, and if you reload get her to reload a few rounds and then the fun will start

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the heck 13 and 6' 5'' ??? WOW

- - - Updated - - -

22.250 is an excellent caliber and i have shot lots of game including antelope and many deer with all of ours.
But for a beginning shooter i would go with a 243. We have several of them too and all tack drivers. Have more knock down power than the 22.250 also.

He likes to eat so that has helped be a good shot need a couple deer just to feed him haha.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
AR 223 adjustable butt stock.

There Weimer, I fixed it for you. While I have taken deer w/50gn V-max (Essentially Hornady's Ballistic Tip), I wouldn't recommend it. Given my choice I"d shoot something from Barnes (50, 53, 55, 62), a 60gn Partition, or the aforementioned 65 Game King.

Fit, fit, fit!!!! Then once you've got that under control, EARS EARS EARS!!!!

Fit will mitigate recoil and good ear protection will reduce the chances at inducing a flinch.

243Win and 80gn TTSX or 85gn TSX knocks the ever-living shit out of deer.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Started my 12 year old daughter who is relatively small on a 6.5 creedmore ruger American with a vortex diamondback 4x16 tactical scope. I was concerned about recoil until I borrowed a buddy’s and had her shoot it. After a handful of shots, she was wanting to shoot more. Heck she’s probably a better shot than I after less than a few boxes through the 6.5. Had her shooting out to 300 yds without issue. The whole package was about $850 with a sling and ready to shoot. Heck, I used it this last year for my deer. Nice shooting gun that won’t break the bank that you can have fun with out to 500-700 yards. It’s a cheap stock, but they shoot well.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any 6.5 with a threaded barrel and a brake installed will do. The recoil on my 6.5 bolt gun is comparable to that of my .223 ar-15. Virtually non existent. .243 and all the others mentioned aren't bad choices either. My son will be shooting either my wifes 6.5 creed or my 6.5 grendel ar-15 when it's his turn.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
7-08 youth model in the brand of your choice--low recoil, mild muzzle blast, flat shooting, and plenty of knock-down power for deer sized game. I like the 140 grain bullets like Remington Core-lokt for factory fodder.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the 7-08 for versatility, but I would not buy one today for deer only. IMO, a 140gr bullet is PLENTY for deer. I’d rather have a higher BC 6.5mm 140gr pill over a a lower BC 7mm 140gr pill.

I vote for something 6mm or 6.5mm in a short action case, take your pick.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys need to correct me - -- -- the way it worked with my family --- dart gun-- bb gun to shotgun then to 22 for fun then to rifle then to pistol. And unlike my youth my kids didnt have bb gun fights in the yard and shotgun fights in the slough.

But that order of gun use that is how i grew up and same with my kids. If you ask them the shotgun is still the worst but not to the point where they are scared or a flinch. The 3" with the fast burning powder 1 5/8 and a t shirt far worst then any rifle in the book. I watched my kid shoot a 50cal (which i have never shot) and i realize they dont kick much - but no reaction at all no fear only looking down to see what the target impact was.

I think the fear if anything is when i see a kid that hasnt been exposed to the hunt -- to much on the getting the youth a tag vs.--- it should be more walk along side dad; get experienced, get used to the noises, the people, patterns, animals etc etc. No different then a dog -- you need to socialize em and get em in the field --- to me the gun is such a small part of equation. I could hand my daughter ( and i have) my 300 win or a 243 and to be real honest her stance would be different - but no flinches. My kids dont flinch on a medical shot either and maybe were just a numb family.

my .02

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a youth Model 243, can't beat the caliber, get her using ear plugs it will stop the flinch later on, and if you reload get her to reload a few rounds and then the fun will start

If you reload, let her load a few rounds. It will be much, much better to shoot a deer with HER ammo she loaded herself. Every kid I've shown how to reload has really enjoyed it. They love shooting their own ammo. It's more better, more gooder as I was told.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
All 4 of my daughters started with a Savage .243 youth rifles. My wife also likes using one for deer as well. Never had a problem. Like others have posted, shot placement is the biggest factor with any caliber

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the posts guys! I really appreciate it. It looks like the youth model .243 or the 6.5 creedmore got the most votes. I'll look into both and hopefully have a great fall with her in the field with me.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had five 243's. I currently have two 6.5 Creedmoors. I just purchased a 6.5 Grendel. My first choice is the Creedmoor especially if your going out long range for antelope, or ever step up to elk. I think the Grendel would be ok to 300 yards, but I would limit it. Same with the 243. As far as the Barnes X bullets I have killed a dozen deer with them. I have never had one drop. Most run three times as far as with a traditional soft point. If I had a bull elk at 400 yards facing straight away from me and I really wanted him I would want an X bullet in the chamber. I can reach his heart from any direction. However, a broadside shot is never going to stop an X bullet and if you could measure it I am sure more energy is expended in the hill beyond the animal than in the animal. I don't understand the experience others have had of drop them in their tracks. Never happened for me. If your off a bit your never going to recover the animal. I would not have a kid shoot an X bullet.
I shot a lot of X bullets when they were very new (around 1988) until -- well I still have 40 rounds of 300 mag loaded, 50 rounds of 22-250, 50 rounds of 223, 50 rounds of 270 etc. I think the last time I shot any was -- hmmmm after 2010, but I don't remember exactly. It was back when we could buy multiple doe license. I shot three out of five does with X bullets that year. 223, 22-250, and 308. Ooooops I did have two drop in their tracks, but they were through the old brain. No body shots ever dropped them in their tracks.

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All I shoot for hunting bullets anymore are TSX and TTSX for various game. 3 "boom flop" shots, 2 in the head and one high shoulder/spine area, all 3 were DOA. They will run, but only until they bleed out. I haven't had anything go further than 50-75 yards with a properly placed bullet. Most die well before 50 yards. Start and stop with Barnes....that's all you need to know.

- - - Updated - - -

243Win and 80gn TTSX or 85gn TSX knocks the ever-living shit out of deer.

Absolutely, positively a deer slaying machine!!

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 1978 I bought a Savage model 99 lever action .243 when I was in high school. Great gun that went to my wife when we got married, as I got her into hunting deer and antelope. My son and daughter both used it their first season. My daughter still uses it, and I believe she thinks it is hers. See is very wrong. I think with it being a lever action she just got real accustomed to that compared to a bolt.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34