Expandable campers

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I am considering a newer (2016) expandable camper but have never used one. Will be used for hunting and an occasional summer trip. How well do they hold heat in the cold/ac in the summer? Are there any other negative aspects I should be considering? Thanks

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you mean pushouts? We have two large pushouts on our 5th wheel. llus a bedroom pushout. The coldest we have camped in is 18 degrees. Warmest has been over 100 and after your gone a gew hours it takes a while to cool down even with two airconditioners. We also have a 26.5 foot travel trailer with one pushout. Its very comfortable. Both hsve under belly skins d o the tanks stay warm in cold weather.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
No, I mean ones where the expandable parts are a tent material, I will try and add a picture Screenshot_20200606-231654~2.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a ice castle imo if u want to hold heat otherwise none of them hold heat imo

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a keystone cougar with an artic package that seems to do well. It has an artic package which basically means heated tanks and a skin under the bottom. It heats well, but will use propane. I have a generator that I use and an electric heater to help offset the propane cost. Have been in it many nights where it's been below freezing and haven't been cold. Not much help on the tent ends, but would think you would be fine down to about 30, otherwise it would be like heating a blue tarp fish house.
Big wheel house holds heat rather well, but pull like a tank, you give up the bigger tanks and room.

bilbo

Honored Member
I have a 1974 pop up camper that I use for hunting. The coldest night I’ve stayed in it was 13F. It was actually not bad inside with the propane furnace thing. I used rugs to keep the chilly floor at bay and had an electric fan to circulate air. I think the coldest it got inside was 55F. Thank God it wasn’t windy or it probably would have been pretty miserable. I would think the hybrid camper would be better or at least as good. That’s actually what we would like to upgrade to when the time comes.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard pass unless you need the weight savings due to tow vehicle.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Roo is a very nice camper. BIL had one for a couple years. Really liked it. Retired so they bought Motor Home and just sold Roo recently in Bismarck.

Edit: if used in bear country, can't have ends extended.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That just looks like more spots for it to start leaking in 10 years. I personally would stay with hard sides all the way around and try and find one with a couple slide outs.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've used a Jayco 23b exp for the last 3 years. I love it because it gets HUGE once the bunk ends are out. That being said, it is a pain folding everything up after it rains.

I pull it out to the badlands for late season archery, but just use it in "turtle mode"(don't pop out the ends.). I've had a couple times where we had the ends out and it got real cold outside. It keeps heat well, but the canvas being thin condensates and you get a nice chilly rain in the middle of the night...

It pulls nice and is easy to store though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 146
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51