F-150/2.7 Ecoboost

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run the piss outa my F150 5.0, its primarily a work vehicle, and a new one on the way, same 5.0. So far never needed to put anything extra into it, and pulls the boat and enclosed trailer just fine.
150,000 miles between pickups, takes about 4-5 years and I am there again.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a 3.5 Ecoboost for 5 years and had no troubles with it. Traded for a GMC with 6.2L and have really liked that power for towing boat, enclosed trailer, or just stepping on the pedal to pass someone on highway.

You don't buy a 4WD pickup for mileage, but I have a bit over 45,000 miles on pickup and the lifetime MPG on my app shows 21.1. I assume that is pretty accurate. That 3.5 Ecoboost would top out at about 18 MPG and I'd guess average was 15 or just under.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody run one of these? Can you drag a sparkly boat around at ease? How's it in hills? Is the power there? Make me a believer.
believe it or not i bought one last month. Holdover 22 --- i guess one could say i was hedging price increases. I didnt get the discount i got back when i bought my last one but was quite surprised of the one i did when it all got said and done. The lots are fillng, they know it and they need to sell em.

Plenty of torque and HP to pull the boat.

If i wanted total reliability --- i would of bought a low mile used Tundra with the 5.7 -- hands down. No other truck would come close. My wifes toy never seen the inside of a garage except for oil changes. I got a buddy that is a mechanic - he concurs.. When i asked him about the new ones --- he looked down didnt want to say it -- but he said ford v8 5.0 would be the only truck he would purchase now. It was hard for him to say the word Ford -- i dont think he can even dodge exists in his vocab nor could his eyes look further down. GM has all the engine issues lifters bull shit and now they are trying to power a full size truck with a 4 cylinder that still uses AFM. GM has lost it totally what do you need afm on a 4 cyc plus they spend to much coin on E. I have to many friends that had problems, i almost bought one then every story led me to think of my last GM where they had to replace my engine after years of wasting my time. He said to many new things on the new toyotas - jury is out. New Toy still comes in 2nd before buying a GM.

2.7 my little experience as i dont have a k on it yet. 1 it makes 2-3 mpg in town better in town then my old 3.5. They dont break in mileage wise until 70k imo.

2.7 Turbo much more responsive then my 3.5, my 3.5 though was 1st gen if i remember correctly. I am assuming they changed the 3.5s too, I have to admit i only pulled (other than my boat) heavy stuff very little. I had a camper 35 foot -- overall and yes it met the qs to pull with a 1/2 ton. 3.5 wouldnt even shift on a hill - sob would just burn gas and keep speed. It never grunted either - the sewing machine sounding engine would sound the same if it back that camper up a hill or not. Somebody has to explain how ford does that-- my old gm v8s sound would grunt hard to move anything.

To the ones that dis the turbos--- if you live in rural nd you dont need one; in fact if i lived on gravel i wouldnt own a turbo -- however if you travel alot commute and go through big cities --- thats where they shine. They have power at low mid and high not like a V8 in which you have to put your foot into it. I never had one issue with my 3.5 engine itself or the turbos . The problems i had were all pain in the ass stuff - camera, heater fan and doors, wiring, list goes on fix or repair daily stuff what ford is know for. Everyone is worried about turbos -- like my GM only dad said - "how many years have turbos been out"

Spark plugs in the ecos --- change em at 50k. Maybe the new ones are better - but imo change em.

Diesel -- who wants to fk with def -- i dont think the mileage works out based on the price of diesel vs gas.

Last mileage -- where to the eco shines imo is mileage in town/ not on the hwy. I do a lot commuting. Figure out the mileage diff vs a 6.2 gm in town vs the eco. Over the years it adds up.

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
More real life fuel mileage with eco's both 2.7 & 3.5 from owners would be appreciated. Wanted to do a Tundra but they themselves are basically stating poor mileage , buddy has one and said he only gets 8-9 in town 14 hwy, so they aren't even in the running anymore for me. Ram is now on my radar. Hit me . . .

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
More real life fuel mileage with eco's both 2.7 & 3.5 from owners would be appreciated. Wanted to do a Tundra but they themselves are basically stating poor mileage , buddy has one and said he only gets 8-9 in town 14 hwy, so they aren't even in the running anymore for me. Ram is now on my radar. Hit me . . .
Here is city slicker driving including
20230113_212526.jpg
. 15 min warm up or 2

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
wife has a 2015 for transit 2500 mid height roof Waldock conversion with the 3.5 gets 17 to 19 loaded. haven't pulled a trailer but the thing rips.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
60-90 seconds of idling a turbo when you start it, and especially before you shut it down will do wonders for longevity. On start-up, let some oil and coolant get up there and circulating where it needs to be.

Regarding shut-down, 60-90 sec of idling will do a lot to cool the bearings back down.

Also, try not to ask too much of them until your engine/coolant is up to normal operating temp.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
With my 2.7 I am usually in the 18-20 range on the interstate with a fairly neutral wind. 11 or so pulling the boat. I don't drive mine around town much.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cousin has 2.7 says need to run it pretty hard to pull in hills etc.. put then need to spool turbo up to make the power. Some guys not so happy with mileage on 3.5 either, put they do run if hit loud peddle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84