Tag Soup poll

Why your deer tag went to tag soup????

• See what deer? Think I'm done hunting deer

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • My shooting needs work, not worth a damn!!!

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Private land locked up like fort knox and no access

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Not in the right place at the right time

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I'm a horn hunter not a meat lover

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe i just do not understand what is being said here. but will assume i could have four separate tags, muzzle, bow, rifle and gratis and shoot four deer. Thought gratis guarantee me a tag on certain land with my rifle tag during the rifle season and only for that purpose. dnb

Last edited:

Tinesdown

Long time reader live to hunt an fish basing off morts post i beleive he was in the same unit i was 3a1 it has become hard or impossible to find non posted land in divide or williams county to walk since the e posting used to be able to walk quarters sw crosby an i lived off killing bird off these sections had dozens of small spots to walk out in the middle of a field could almost bet on having a shot at birds depending on the conditions or the day it used to be great/ unbelievable hunting now i feel rubbed out by greedy kids that postup (other peoples) leased farming trust lands 'sorry fellas am not happy with the bullshit that has happened

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
T
A period now and then would help but after spending a few minutes do agree. db

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB, your gratis tag can be used in bow season with a bow, rifle season with a rifle, or muzzleloader season with a muzzleloader. Have to use the right weapon for the right season. Technically you could have 3 tags. buy your bow tag, apply for gratis, and also apply for lottery muzzleloader and get lucky enough to draw it. I've done that in the past but three tags is to much for me. Nowdays I apply for my gratis tag and buy a bow tag, rarely do I fill both. I believe the ony way you can get an any antlered gratis is to apply before the 1st draw of the rifle lottery. You can apply for the 1st draw of rifle lottery but if your successful on that then I believe your gratis will be a doe tag and maybe only if any doe tags are left. not sure about that.
So I hunted rifle season the last the weekend, didn't use my gratis tag, so now its still good for muzzle loader season and that is the tag I will use If i shoot something. If I don't, it will still be good for bow season. In a sense a gratis tag is good and can be used from Sept till bow season ends. But you have to use the appropriate weapon for the season.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The weather was too nice. My middle son, who hasn't hunted in thirty some years, drew an any buck tag on his first try. Got my heart pumping for deer season. He shot his first deer years ago with my dads 1917 enfield . He used the same rifle to collect a decent 3x4 muley. Sent the rifle home with him. I had a very nice whitetail in my scope at 80 yards and did not pull the trigger. Getting old and have lost my desire to kill anything. I guess I'm done.
Come on down next year. We can set in a blind and watch deer and play rummy. LB

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why doesn't the game and fish allow you to apply for a rifle tag if you have a gratis?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why doesn't the game and fish allow you to apply for a rifle tag if you have a gratis?
You can but the other way around, apply first, and this is a sore spot with many including myself. From my understanding from what I was told before is you can apply for rifle tag and if get denied you are still "entitled to get" A gratis. My thought is if you want to enter rifle lottery, you take your chances of getting shot down or drawn like everyone else, and not get the backup tag that is guaranteed. If you are lucky enough to draw ( not this year, sucked, but beside the point), you have just taken a license out of someone else's hand but was no big deal for you because you knew you were going to get one anyhow. Granted yes, the gratis is ( suppose to be ) On specific designated land. And I know the story, the farmers/ranchers feed the deer year round ,and for that we thank you so should get a tag.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I have two freezers full of elk, so my bow tag was for horn hunting…don’t need anymore meat and didn’t draw a gun deer tag. I just had hand surgery, so that ended all of my hunting for this year…

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can but the other way around, apply first, and this is a sore spot with many including myself. From my understanding from what I was told before is you can apply for rifle tag and if get denied you are still "entitled to get" A gratis. My thought is if you want to enter rifle lottery, you take your chances of getting shot down or drawn like everyone else, and not get the backup tag that is guaranteed. If you are lucky enough to draw ( not this year, sucked, but beside the point), you have just taken a license out of someone else's hand but was no big deal for you because you knew you were going to get one anyhow. Granted yes, the gratis is ( suppose to be ) On specific designated land. And I know the story, the farmers/ranchers feed the deer year round ,and for that we thank you so should get a tag.

I think that might have changed , The deadline for applying for a gratis is the same day as the lottery. I was one day late last year with gratis application and couldn't get one.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ND BOWMAN
Thanks for all the information and sitting me straight.

Gratis tag is a hell of a deal except one is restricted to certain land and one needs to own 150 acres in one spot. With a quarter now selling for $500-700,000 in this area now i guess i will never have one. I see it can be a hell of a deal for the whole family to hunt too. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On a side note, a person from Crosby told me the game warden there is going to all the stands and if there is a feed pile there giving out $200 fines. Did not matter if someone was there or not. That if true will be interesting. db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a side note, a person from Crosby told me the game warden there is going to all the stands and if there is a feed pile there giving out $200 fines. Did not matter if someone was there or not. That if true will be interesting. db

Especially if they ticket according to GPS and ticket the landowner who let someone hunt there. Theres no way of telling who the stand belongs to if nobody is home.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer population is WAY down around Fort KDM. Last winter kicked the royal snot outta the deer herd. That mid april blizzard that dumped 6+ inches on us was the coup de grace for lots of deer. I've seen 3.....yes.....3 fawns this entire year so far even through all the harvests. I looked over probably 5000 acres in that time from late morning 'til dark most days. It's very disheartening. I wish everyone luck, but we NEED a mild winter to climb out of this. I already have the corn and alfalfa hay ready to go, but hopefully I won't need it. Stay Safe Fellas.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're trying to ticket landowners without evidence they put the corn out? I think I have to throw the flag on that one. That's like ticketing the store owner because someone was shoplifting.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long time reader live to hunt an fish basing off morts post i beleive he was in the same unit i was 3a1 it has become hard or impossible to find non posted land in divide or williams county to walk since the e posting used to be able to walk quarters sw crosby an i lived off killing bird off these sections had dozens of small spots to walk out in the middle of a field could almost bet on having a shot at birds depending on the conditions or the day it used to be great/ unbelievable hunting now i feel rubbed out by greedy kids that postup (other peoples) leased farming trust lands 'sorry fellas am not happy with the bullshit that has happened
i hunt divide a lot for birds and the eposting is pretty much killing hunting. the public land gets hammered so its pretty much a barren wasteland. Lots and lots of birds around but can't hunt them.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Just not in your area , it is in every county I hunt birds in , there are many sections I used to hunt before electronic posting that is now off limits. What is odd to me is that it seems the ranchers are posting more and harder than the grain farmers. I see pasture land that is electronic and physical posted ? Not old signs either all new this year.

Tinesdown

Hey dont have problem with someone that (actually owns) the land ground not wanting people in there. When the land is leased from 1950 farmers that Is Being controlled by present day farmers. Thats where it has become unconsitutional. Land that hasnt ever been posted in history , trust land from someone that used to be alive in the 1970s or before that those are the pieces that average joe (used) to be able to walkin in my neck of the woods now we are scrubbed from what we love to do THANK OUR GREAT ND LEGISLATION

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84