Fishing From Winter to Early Spring

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have often wondered about this. Why is it that we think we must slow down our presentation when fishing in the early spring? When just a few weeks earlier we could be ripping salmo chubby darters aggressively. I often hear that the water is too cold... But really? The water is just as cold or colder at the bottom of a body of water when its winter vs early spring. Is there another factor that actually says we should slow down our approach or is this thought process just made up by us? Maybe the rapid change of the water vs steadiness?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For Walleyes...........There are two reasons to slow down in my book. One: The water clarity is generally very cloudy so a slower presentation allows the fish to find and subsequently take your offering. The same goes for summer fishing when rains muddy the water. Two: Spring is spawning time and I believe a large percentage of hits are NOT to feed, but to protect spawning territory. A slower presentation puts your offering right on the bottom and thus has a greater chance of "Annoying" a walleye into smacking it out of pure breeding aggression. Take this for what it's worth. These are just one old guys take on spring vs winter fish.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you are ice fishing you are basically stationery even though you may have a lot of vertical action. I think the comparison is not quite the same. You are ripping up and down to pull fish into your little circle of death whereas when you are moving in the boat you are covering water and potentially moving by the fish before they have a chance to decide to bite. They may be reluctant to chase your presentation down in cold water.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I've thought about this before as well. I'll probably keep trying to break the meta. I'm addicted to aggressive techniques. Reaction bites.

Maybe it has something to do with the size of baits in the system this time of year?

Like the OP, I put zero credibility in the "the water is cold" idea. It has been just as cold all winter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 107
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34