Fishing line suggestions

wfginsptr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the last winter I obtained 3 baitcasting rod & reel combos (and the wife even knows) so i am looking for suggestions on what weight and type of line to use with them.

I have never used these types of setup before but am looking forward to the experience, I mostly fish for walleye, northern, perch and crappie in the ND lakes but sometimes end up on a MN lake.

Thanks in advance,

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in high school when baitcasters were the only surefire way to catch largemouth bass, I was told to put on heavier line in order to avoid backlash.

I can't honestly tell you if it worked. I still suck at baitcasters.

NDOUTDOORS

Start with 12-14 pound trilene XT. If you get that down and your able to cast without backlashes look at Suffix 8 32 braid. With that said you want to make sure you match mono size with same size braid when it comes to diameter. If you cast 8 pound fireline in a bait caster you are asking for trouble!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 30lb PP in all my baitcasters. Occasionally have a backlash but that normally happens in the first 10 casts.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
20# suffix 832....if you dont like it, ill pay you full price for it, and reel it right off your combo onto my own.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 15lb power pro as well. Start with mono and learn how to use/cast, then switch to power pro.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I use 30lb suffix 832 on mine. A good line to learn on is just cheap ass 17# mono. That way when the backlash gets too crazy just cut it out and you're not wasting a $25 spool of braid. Too thin of line and it backlashes easier and can also dig into itself on the spool which just causes more headache. Even my 30lb 832 will dig in to itself just a bit sometimes if I'm really horsing something through the weeds. Get a 3/8oz casting plug or disc weight and practice in your backyard. You'll get a feel for the reels, the adjustments, and some practice at picking out the backlashes.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you understand/learn how to adjust the brakes and tensions on the reel if doing any casting. I run anywhere from 8lb-30lb powerpro between my different bass setups. More concern should be paid to the brakes/tension controls than the line, IMO.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 30lb suffix 832 on mine. A good line to learn on is just cheap ass 17# mono. That way when the backlash gets too crazy just cut it out and you're not wasting a $25 spool of braid. Too thin of line and it backlashes easier and can also dig into itself on the spool which just causes more headache. Even my 30lb 832 will dig in to itself just a bit sometimes if I'm really horsing something through the weeds. Get a 3/8oz casting plug or disc weight and practice in your backyard. You'll get a feel for the reels, the adjustments, and some practice at picking out the backlashes.

Thx! I like your suggestion:;:thumbsup

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you understand/learn how to adjust the brakes and tensions on the reel if doing any casting. I run anywhere from 8lb-30lb powerpro between my different bass setups. More concern should be paid to the brakes/tension controls than the line, IMO.
this is exactly what I was going to mention. Setting up the real for each bait you use is by far the most important thing with baitcasters.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55