Fishing while someone without a license is with

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
While at college in SD, a friend and I went out, he wasn't licensed. I was pitching jigs on a spill way and only needed one pole, so I left one my other one in the truck, buddy was just walking around down stream checking things out. Well a warden showed up, looked in the back of my truck and saw the extra pole and checked us both. He fined my buddy because we had the extra pole and he said he had "intent" to fish. he got it overturned in court, but talk about a pain in the ass

Jesus! ... As other people have said... The $15 might be worth it then.... Look at the bright side you can have more lines in the water then #$%^&>

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Per NDGF:
Fishing
Individual Season Fishing - nonresidents under 16 do not need a fishing license if accompanied by a licensed adult, except that paddlefish tags are required for all paddlefish snaggers.$45
Husband and Wife Season Fishing$60
3 Day Fishing$25
10 Day Fishing$35

$15 ??? jesus you're old Dirty....

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be d#$ked then. I'd want to ask the guy the secret to teaching a kid to cast a reasonable distance without sending the minnow the opposite direction. :;:help

If I recall correctly, the conversation said the prudent thing to do was to have your child fish your pole, as in you get one, kid gets one.... but I'm old and don't remember breakfast well, so I better eat again...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My two cents. If you take your kids fishing, and you don't have a license yourself, it's probably not cool to handle the gear at all. The old excuse of "well, I barely did any (fishing) thing at all" is going to be too thin for a warden. The next guy will say "if I don't catch anything, I shouldn't need a license".

Not to mention the fact that you'd be teaching your kids to bend the rules. You don't have to agree with rules, but you do have to abide by them.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
My two cents. If you take your kids fishing, and you don't have a license yourself, it's probably not cool to handle the gear at all. The old excuse of "well, I barely did any (fishing) thing at all" is going to be too thin for a warden. The next guy will say "if I don't catch anything, I shouldn't need a license".

Not to mention the fact that you'd be teaching your kids to bend the rules. You don't have to agree with rules, but you do have to abide by them.

Maybe I misunderstood, I was assuming the guy WW was talking about had a license and got a ticket for putting the kids line in for him.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I misunderstood, I was assuming the guy WW was talking about had a license and got a ticket for putting the kids line in for him.

Oh, then maybe I misunderstood. I thought the kids wouldn't need a license, and the guy didn't bother because he "wasn't really fishing".

I just figured that some guys would say "well, I was only fishing for 30 seconds" or "I promise that I'd never reel a fish in". That's a slippery slope.

Carry on!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your buddy absolutely does "not" need a license to be on the ice with you. Warden sees him touch anything, prepare to pay...without arguing.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
While at college in SD, a friend and I went out, he wasn't licensed. I was pitching jigs on a spill way and only needed one pole, so I left one my other one in the truck, buddy was just walking around down stream checking things out. Well a warden showed up, looked in the back of my truck and saw the extra pole and checked us both. He fined my buddy because we had the extra pole and he said he had "intent" to fish. he got it overturned in court, but talk about a pain in the ass

Wow, I know there are some Dick game wardens in SD, especially in the college town you lived in, but that takes the cake.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
100% true. Came directly form Terry Steinwand

No way in hell! There are two free fishing weekends, one is the first weekend of June and the other is the last weekend of December, when anyone can fish without a license but you can't just pick a day and go without a license. Try that and I would bet every penny I own that you'd get a ticket and you'd lose if you tried to fight it. I'm thinking you misunderstood Steinwand when he was talking about free fishing weekends.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, then maybe I misunderstood. I thought the kids wouldn't need a license, and the guy didn't bother because he "wasn't really fishing".

I just figured that some guys would say "well, I was only fishing for 30 seconds" or "I promise that I'd never reel a fish in". That's a slippery slope.

Carry on!

Yeah the dad had a license, put in his two lines, then grabbed the youngsters pole (I don't recall the age), reeled in and casted it out further for the kid. Got a ticket for too many lines.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the dad had a license, put in his two lines, then grabbed the youngsters pole (I don't recall the age), reeled in and casted it out further for the kid. Got a ticket for too many lines.

I've heard of that while paddlefishing but never with people shore fishing. I would hope there's more to the story and it happened many times or, as i've seen a few times, people just bring a kid along to put a couple more poles on shore or through the ice and the kid isn't doing any fishing at all. If it was a one time cast that's pretty extreme.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wear your shirt inside out and hat cockeyed. Fishing is best done with it straight

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard of that while paddlefishing but never with people shore fishing. I would hope there's more to the story and it happened many times or, as i've seen a few times, people just bring a kid along to put a couple more poles on shore or through the ice and the kid isn't doing any fishing at all. If it was a one time cast that's pretty extreme.

Yup, something maybe doesn't add up.

If I take my 11 yr old and 9 yr old daughters fishing, I'd expect to be able to help them. I wouldn't fish more than one pole per person, but that's just me and my style of fishing. This makes me wonder if he had his kids, and a pile of other neighborhood kids with, and max poles per person, and was running around handling them all. I could be wrong though.

I gotta ask people to just think about the original intent of a license, and the regulations that have been put in place to make it fair for all of us. I gotta ask people to think about how it may strictly be legal to have two poles per living soul, it isn't the intent of the system to bring a couple of babies with, park them on shore, and put out two poles per kid. I know this might not have been the case, but something's strange with this story.

If that wasn't the case, I would disagree with the warden. However, I like to think (and it's been my experience so far in my life) that the dick in the equation is usually not the warden.

I know, I know.. I'm only 48 yrs old and have only been fishing in ND for a little over four decades, so what do I know..?

Nmariner

Established Member
Are you fishing down by Linton/Napoleon? If so you better just by the license. My girlfriend(now wife) came along for fun, no license and didn't fish with two buddies and I on West Lake. We were fishing in a hub shelter. He walked up and opened the door and checked licenses. She said that she didn't have one and wasn't fishing. He said "you're by a hole you must by fishing." I asked how with 4 people gear and a heater in a small shelter can you not sit near a hole? The game warden being the jackass he is simply gave us two options.

1. Drive down from Bismarck to fight it in court.
2. By a license by midnight.

Long story short we just bought a license. It wasn't worth taking off work and driving down to fight it. Even if we won(which we wouldve) the license was cheaper than the gas. Something I am sure he was well aware of!!!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure his supervisor wouldn't have been to happy of him wasting valuable time in court for a bunko case.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, the thing about fishing with kids is that because of paddlefishing, NDGF implemented a rule that says a person has to cast their own line.

And that rule has been around for a few years now.

I'd like to see a warden stop by the OWLS pond and start ticketing parents for dropping the bobber down into the water off their fishing pier when the 3 yr olds have mucked up the reel on a snoopy pole. That goes on every day there and you'd figure it would be easy hunting grounds for an over zealous warden.

Heck, they would even be able to bust their volunteers about 85 times a day during the peak of the bluegill season there! That oughta help fund some ramp improvements!

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah years ago paddlefishing in Montana a guy had is daughter hook a big fish and he held on to her had his hand wrapped up in her shirt and dug into the sand with his feet and her too she maybe weighed 50 pounds, I asked him why he wouldn't help her and he said that wardens were watching, and legally he couldn't, they played that fish for like 10 minutes or so, then lost it with the current, think it might have spooled her, and like 5 minutes later the warden showed up, and hassled him because he might have helped too much, never touched the rod,. I would guess the little girl at about 11 or 12, that was a shit show

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good grief. From the sounds of it one of these days my seven year old is going to get a ticket for picking up my poles when I get a bite. ;:;bangheadMost of the time while ice fishing I let him take as many bites as he can just to get more comfortable setting the hook and keeping the line tight when reeling the fish in. I could care less if we miss a bunch just the experience is worth it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88