Giant ND moose taken today!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw one about that size (or at least it seemed to me but I don't know how to judge moose) south of Bismarck last fall. A shame the Missouri River corridor isn't a unit.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could guess that these are juvenile bulls being pushed out of someone else's territory. Can anyone concur

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured this might end up on here eventually. That is my dad.
It was an awesome hunt. The moment we found out he drew we immediately started making contacts. We went scouting in August a few times and found a lot of good Bulls. With the help of two good friends from the area we had some very nice Bulls to pursue opening day. This bull was #1.

This bull was out in this spot a couple mornings in a row last week. The season opened on Friday and we knew this bull would be here. So Thursday we went to look for another bull. My dad decided this was the bull we would spend our time on.

Well Wouldn't you know it the first moose we spotted Friday morning was him! And he was found before legal shooting light! He was making his way towards the corn quick as he was following 3 cows. As it often is the last few minutes before the shot were chaos. We hurried down a shelterbelt and a small bull spooked and ran right towards them. So then we basically sprinted down the belt and jumped across to the other side. I cow called quick just as the moose were about to the corn and they stopped. I ranged him at 408 yards and my dad took the shot. We "think" the first shot was a clean miss. Then he pumped another one in and he was clearly hit and the bull started to run to the corn and he racked another shell in him. He started tipping back and I thought for sure he was going down right there. But he made it into the corn.

We ended up having to track him a ways through the corn and he was able to put 3 more bullets through the vitals. It was an awesome experience. He ended up dying about ten yards off the road in a flooded out drainage. So basically zero corn was harmed. Thanks a million to the landowner who's land he shot him on and who also helped us load him!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
His paddle length is incredible as you can tell from previous pics and this picture really shows off his great fronts! My dads reaction when we walked up to him was priceless!

Attachments

image.jpg

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always heard these are Shiras here but after research (google) stand corrected

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing the story bowhunter24. Congratulations to you and your dad!.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always heard these are Shiras here but after research (google) stand corrected

Yeah I'm not sure you I or just about anyone could tell the two apart if they were standing side by side. Seen hundreds of Shiras well living in CO and there more or less a twin to the Canadian. As for rack size like all moose they get huge especially where I lived since rocky mountain national park was so close. Now the Alaska/Yukon Moose is a monster..... Like a tank with hooves.

- - - Updated - - -

I figured this might end up on here eventually. That is my dad.
It was an awesome hunt. The moment we found out he drew we immediately started making contacts. We went scouting in August a few times and found a lot of good Bulls. With the help of two good friends from the area we had some very nice Bulls to pursue opening day. This bull was #1.

This bull was out in this spot a couple mornings in a row last week. The season opened on Friday and we knew this bull would be here. So Thursday we went to look for another bull. My dad decided this was the bull we would spend our time on.

Well Wouldn't you know it the first moose we spotted Friday morning was him! And he was found before legal shooting light! He was making his way towards the corn quick as he was following 3 cows. As it often is the last few minutes before the shot were chaos. We hurried down a shelterbelt and a small bull spooked and ran right towards them. So then we basically sprinted down the belt and jumped across to the other side. I cow called quick just as the moose were about to the corn and they stopped. I ranged him at 408 yards and my dad took the shot. We "think" the first shot was a clean miss. Then he pumped another one in and he was clearly hit and the bull started to run to the corn and he racked another shell in him. He started tipping back and I thought for sure he was going down right there. But he made it into the corn.

We ended up having to track him a ways through the corn and he was able to put 3 more bullets through the vitals. It was an awesome experience. He ended up dying about ten yards off the road in a flooded out drainage. So basically zero corn was harmed. Thanks a million to the landowner who's land he shot him on and who also helped us load him!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20160322_171339153.jpg
His paddle length is incredible as you can tell from previous pics and this picture really shows off his great fronts! My dads reaction when we walked up to him was priceless!
Thanks for the story and tell your father congratulations! The only bad part about this hunt is it was over to fast for a once in a lifetime hunt. Luckily you guys spent all the scouting time to get the full value out of a one off occurrence. So any story on the loading of it....half the time that's half the story. I got lucky with mine when a oil field crane truck happened to be driving by and pulled in on his own....he knew a free beer when he saw one!:;:cheers

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations to the lucky hunter!!! Truly Magnificent Trophy!!!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The loading was easy thanks to the landowner. He brought his bi directional loader tractor and hung him so I could gut him. Yes, I ended up doing that for my dad. I hope I get at least a little meat out of the deal. Then he put him on our trailer.

It was unit m10. He is 51" wide. He will score exceptionally well because of his extremely long paddle length and great fronts.

Here he is after being all caped out. There is no "ahab" in this pic. Those horns alone must weigh 100 lbs. it's unbelievable.

Attachments

image.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The loading was easy thanks to the landowner. He brought his bi directional loader tractor and hung him so I could gut him. Yes, I ended up doing that for my dad. I hope I get at least a little meat out of the deal. Then he put him on our trailer.

It was unit m10. He is 51" wide. He will score exceptionally well because of his extremely long paddle length and great fronts.

Here he is after being all caped out. There is no "ahab" in this pic. Those horns alone must weigh 100 lbs. it's unbelievable.

Yeah gutting well hanging is so much better especially when trying to leave the cape I found out that day. What does he score out at with the long paddles good fronts and great tine length all the way around. The only thing he is a bit short on is width and thats minor to say the least on that stud.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35