Gun Smith

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to change the subject or anything, but I really regretted putting a muzzle break on my rifle last year. Loved the recoil benefits of it, but while hunting it killed my ears . . . a couple shots and the noise was unbearable. I ended up purchasing a suppressor and wish I would have just done that right away. Just my two cents on the subject.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a guy in Napoleon that can do it, pm me for his contact info but if I were you there's no way in hell I'd do it. I put one on my .300 RUM before I got into suppressors and haven't used that rifle since. Your left ear will go into a high pitched buzz and you'll feel like you can hear through your nose if you shoot it without ear plugs. Easy to do on a bench but in the heat of the moment you'll shoot without ear plugs and you'll remember this post. Get a can or five.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my muzzle break I had a gunsmith in poplar Mt put it on he has a pattan on his one of a kind .....ps and to nanky practice more you should only have to fire once while hunting lol

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my muzzle break I had a gunsmith in poplar Mt put it on he has a pattan on his one of a kind .....ps and to nanky practice more you should only have to fire once while hunting lol

Multiple tags man . . . plus 1 time is plenty to make you regret it.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzlebreaks are the reason I have so much hearling loss these days. Do yourself, and anyone you MIGHT hunt with a favor, and either shoot a smaller caliber for recoil, if thats the reasoning behind the break in the first place, or get the wrecking bar out and pry open the wallet for a suppressor. Your old man ears will thank you some day.

And one more thing, why wreck a perfectly good rifle with a break in the first place?! When I see them on the used gun rack (usually a 7mm mag, or 300) I just keep on walking. Destroys resale value IMO.

BUT. If none of the above matters to you. GO FOR IT! :;:cheers

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzlebreaks are the reason I have so much hearling loss these days. Do yourself, and anyone you MIGHT hunt with a favor, and either shoot a smaller caliber for recoil, if thats the reasoning behind the break in the first place, or get the wrecking bar out and pry open the wallet for a suppressor. Your old man ears will thank you some day.

And one more thing, why wreck a perfectly good rifle with a break in the first place?! When I see them on the used gun rack (usually a 7mm mag, or 300) I just keep on walking. Destroys resale value IMO.

BUT. If none of the above matters to you. GO FOR IT! :;:cheers

put a brake on that smaller 6.5 and recoil will be non existent meaning more accurate shot placement, meaning more ethical kills at extended ranges. that's why guys use them. slap a little hearing protection around your neck, throw them in to shoot, pretty simple

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ive left the rifle range because of people with breaks shooting next to me. The benefits do not outweigh the concussion you put on yourself and those around you imo.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive left the rifle range because of people with breaks shooting next to me. The benefits do not outweigh the concussion you put on yourself and those around you imo.

I concur with this. Last weekend a guy was next to me with a muzzle break on his 338 lapua. Holy god was that loud! I had ear muff on and still couldn't be next to him when he pulled the trigger. I needed both plugs and muffs.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
put a brake on that smaller 6.5 and recoil will be non existent meaning more accurate shot placement, meaning more ethical kills at extended ranges. that's why guys use them. slap a little hearing protection around your neck, throw them in to shoot, pretty simple

I completely agree. Great benefits. As another said it just doesnt outweigh the overall negatives, in my opinion! To each their own. Too many instances where I am with others or need to be conversing up until the shot and hearing protection, in my instance, is always the last thing on my mind in the heat of action.

I once had an encounter where three of us hunting partners were laying prone. I was in the middle with a breaked 30-06 on one side, and a breaked 30-378 weatherby on the other. About 3 rounds downrange from each gun in a 20 second period. My ears ringing daily remind me how dumb that was. Only time in my life i've been "dinged, saw stars, foggy" whatever you watn to call it. My brain was moosh for the rest of the day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49