Hen of the Woods

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found this very nice Hen of the Woods mushroom last weekend. They grow at the base of older oak trees in the ground. This thing was close to 10lbs. Very tasty!
Hen 9.30.23.jpeg
Hen 9.30.23.1.jpeg

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did you fungus enthusiasts get proficient at knowing what you’re looking at and knowing if it was going to taste good, make you see things that aren’t there, or kill you. I love mushrooms and would like to get more comfortable with foraging for them but it terrifies me. Just got back from an out of state elk hunt in a recently burned area and there were mushrooms everywhere but I just kept walking

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be perfect weather for mushrooms, we have a bunch in the yard. I googled some last week that were Magpie scat or somthing but now I see different ones but they are pure white. Wife and I were talking about them last night but so many stories about them being poison.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Learn Your Land on Youtube has a ton of videos on identifying mushrooms and also their toxic look a likes. I literally just watched them multiple times and once you get the eye for the proper one it's very easy for MOST of the species. There are still some I pass on because the look a likes are too close and you need to spore print. Or just post them on there and I'd be happy to let you know exactly what they are!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always remember people saying that the ones that have a white bottom are poisonous, and if they are brown they aren't. And by bottom, I'm talking about the fins underneath of the top.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did you fungus enthusiasts get proficient at knowing what you’re looking at and knowing if it was going to taste good, make you see things that aren’t there, or kill you. I love mushrooms and would like to get more comfortable with foraging for them but it terrifies me. Just got back from an out of state elk hunt in a recently burned area and there were mushrooms everywhere but I just kept walking
It's easy - you eat the ones that don't make you ralph until your eyeball capillaries rupture the first time you try them.

It's not a pursuit for the squeamish/weak.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's easy - you eat the ones that don't make you ralph until your eyeball capillaries rupture the first time you try them.

It's not a pursuit for the squeamish/weak.
How many bottles of rum to learn your “real” methods….

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many bottles of rum to learn your “real” methods….
Most of them are so damn obvious you'd have to be a real gomer to screw it up. Just stay away from anything "toad stool" or classic mushroom shape.

Hens, Chickens of the Woods, morels, shaggy manes, etc. are pretty safe.

I did suffer an attack from what I suspect was a shaggy mane parasitized by another fungus one time about 20 years ago. Absolute hell (dry heaves) for 15-20 minutes.

Booze/mushrooms combine though, even the "easy ones" gets a lot of people. Some people even blow chunks from morels and red wine. (bro in law did that... twice)

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here I thought this thread was gonna be about some of NDA members ex wives juicy tails.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought 40 acres from an old couple and every fall they would come and pick mushrooms. Ive picked and ate morrells but thats all i ever dared to eat.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still freakn' out about Snow getting a second harvest of morels in mid-summer.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mid-summer morels are simply not possible. Stinkhorns often get confused with morels. This is a Stinkhorn. Gross.

Stinkhorn mushroom.JPG

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_3717.jpeg

I barely trust myself picking morels so I just leave the rest alone. I can’t tell what most mushrooms are.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31