Hot dogs or Smelt

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which is better for catching pike on tip-up. Some say one is better than the other, so what say you.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both, make sure the hot dogs are the darker red kind. When I fish for pike I fish 4 tip ups 2 with smelt and 2 with hot dogs.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
When pike are really hungry, they will eat anything. If they're just in a pissy mood, it needs to smell like fish.

So maybe you can find some Japanese corndogs that will fit in both categories?

Yes, they do actually have fish flavored hotdogs used in making corndogs in Japan. One of the most disappointing first bites I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
When pike are really hungry, they will eat anything. If they're just in a pissy mood, it needs to smell like fish.

So maybe you can find some Japanese corndogs that will fit in both categories?

Yes, they do actually have fish flavored hotdogs used in making corndogs in Japan. One of the most disappointing first bites I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

oh god thatd be terrible

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen that story made my stomach turn just thinking about it

- - - Updated - - -

johnr how is the knee and back doing?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fresh smelt are the best, but they are hard to come by these days, not a herring fan and ive never tried 'dogs'...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

johnr how is the knee and back doing?

Knee is doing much better, it only really hurts in a full squatting position, like crouching down to get something off the floor. My back was not really an issue.
I am going to Teri Peak today to take the kiddo's snowboarding, mrs johnr will ski, I am not going to risk the knee injury turning into a bigger injury, and will be sitting in the lodge with a cocktail, and a ski bunny.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fish flavored corn dogs OMG. Kind of like dill pickle flavored potato chips, when expecting regular chips. Had to clean off the inside of my pickup windows ECK.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found that it depends on the lake. Try both and find out what works better.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not gonna lie, after tracking the scent of oil fried corn down the street for 200 yds like a bloodhound, I spit the very first bite out on the ground and threw both corndogs away. Man was I disappointed after having been in Japan for almost two years and thinking I was going to enjoy a little piece of Americana. Terrible, just terrible damn idea someone had.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
that company that made the quick strike rigs go out of business? referring to the 2 treble hooks at the end of a steel leader T type set up.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hotdog laying on the bottom. You cant believe how many times I have seen Northern take the bait off the bottom. I like to bounce them off the bottom and get a little mud going.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
that company that made the quick strike rigs go out of business? referring to the 2 treble hooks at the end of a steel leader T type set up.

you want some? I've got probably a dozen or so that I never use. I hate em with a passion. I've been cutting them apart whenever I need treble hooks.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not just jig for pike with a titanium leader? They can be extremely finnicky in the winter and jigging usually can get them to bite.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member

sorry misread your question until after I posted. I thought you were asking about regular quick strikes. The T style has been nothing but trouble for me. SORRY

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33