Impeller questions

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I may need a new impeller on my motor, but not sure. I was having issues with water not really coming out of the pee hole so I cleaned out the tube well and water started coming up better, but not really in a steady stream. It was just more or less "spitting" out of it. Cleaned it again (air and water coming through really well when cleaning) and seemed like it got a little better, but still just spitting. I've used my boat a couple times and it isn't overheating. So, do I need to change my impeller? I've never really worked on boat motors, but am a little mechanically inclined. (First time boat owner). So....first question is would a bad impeller cause the spitting after cleaning out the tube really well? And if so, is fixing an impeller pretty easy? Watched a youtbube video that looked easy and straight forward. But I really don't want to mess anything up either since I know that is a very important part of keep the motor cool. What's everyone's opinions? Impeller issue? Fix it yourself? Or just bite the bullet and take it in? It's a 1999 130hp Johnson. Purchased used last fall and have no idea when the owner last changed the impeller.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
There should be a full, steady stream out of the telltale. I just changed the impeller myself for the first time on my Optimax last Friday and it was not too bad of a job. I have a repair manual for my engine as well as watched several YouTube videos. They say it should be replaced every couple seasons, I know some people who do it every year.

IMG_9539.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took mine in an in my opinion was overcharged. But at the same time i indexed my plugs this spring and i was so anal about it - it took me a couple hours -- time is money. It may be difficult to get it fixed at a shop and get it back in time to enjoy what in my opinion is the best month. Maybe see if someone on here is a motorhead that can stop by and supervise.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make it look so damn easy on those youtube videos, but I've been there and done that before and by the time I'm head first into it, then I'm swearing at myself for trying it and spending way more of my time on it that should be.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're just replacing the impeller and not the gaskets and such it is literally a 10 minute job. The first time will take longer, of course, but I will have no reservations about doing this in the future on a more regular basis.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had mine replaced for the first time this spring, motor is 27 years old. Still worked ok but had to kick it in reverse pretty good to get the water flowing. Id say replacing it yearly is way overkill unless you are putting a lot of hours on your engine...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didnt believe in the 3 year no dealer maintenance portion that was related to the impeller as my hours were low in my opinion. I was on my running 9 miles back to the ramp pushin big waves when the alarm goes off for overheat. From now on I will change every 3 years -- i dont think they make them like they used to. IMO they must have them set up to push more water or at a higher PSI. Little bit of wear and they dont work as well. In otherwords -- manufactured to require one to have more service done.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never changed one. I have 10 years on the current one, and it pisses like a race horse.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
bigbrad, its not that big of a job. Call your local dealer and order the impeller kit. Watch a few you tube videos before you start, take pictures after each step just in case, assemble the new gear and off you go. If I can do it, you can do it.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bunch of tightasses!! Spend $10K-$90K on a boat and won't even take it to the shop to have maintenance or repairs done. HAHAHA

:::#$%^&>:;:cheers

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check your thermostat first. Mine was stuck open after weeds clogged the input one time and it overheated.

An open/sprung thermostat that doesn't close back has the exact same symptoms as a bad impeller. And thermostats are way easier to check/change.

- - - Updated - - -

I even took it out, cleaned with vinegar, and replaced it only to have it stick open again a couple weeks later. Luckily the new ebay unit had arrived and I fixed it right then/there on the water with a 10mm wrench (it sits atop the powerhead).

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to suggest checking the thermostat(s) as well, pretty easy to do. Impeller change is pretty straight forward and a shop manual is a nice thing to have.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
my overheat went away -- i plugged in the laptop after i had the water pump replaced - no issues.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Changed mine for the first time in twelve years. Old one looked good but did not want to chance it. Like others said not too bad of a job. Get the manual specific to your motor. I got the wrong one at first and had to search for the correct one as the lower would not come off (different shift linkage hookup). It took about three hours first try. Next time about 30 minutes. If time is critical do it yourself, if you don't feel comfortable taking it apart, take it in and wait. Personally the season here is too short to wait for service.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
just replaced the lower unit (*^ rock@ 30 mph = big crack) on my 1985 Johnson 90 hp, bought a 1985 evinrude 115 hp with a bad top end cheap, used the evinrude to figure out exactly what needed removed etc and it wasn't bad. while I had it apart replaced anything that appeared to be worn, or hardened from age. ordered new water pump kit off amazon and had it in a couple days. it is nice to have extra hands when removing the lower unit and reinstalling it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
very easy. there are plenty of us that can walk you through it if you run into a problem. go for it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35