Kdrill update and review

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
After running my kdrill for 2 months now. I am very happy with it. I have it powered by a fuel drill. I started the year with the 700lb drill and upgraded to the 1200lb. Well worth it. We have about 30 inches of ice now and it chews right though it. I'm getting about 10 to 12 holes out of a 5amp battery. This setup has permanently replaced my gas auger. Total weight is about 9lbs. I've had a couple days that I have drilled close to 100 holes and I'm not tired and sore that night.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love mine too. Got a 3rd battery free with mine. But, I think your should get more than a dozen holes out of one battery. I drilled 11 today and didn't even move the meter.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everywhere I have read says you should get about 400inches of ice out of battery. I have 10 batteries so I don't have to worry about running out of power.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love mine too. Got a 3rd battery free with mine. But, I think your should get more than a dozen holes out of one battery. I drilled 11 today and didn't even move the meter.

that Mills deal of 1200in/lb hammer drill with a free third battery was indeed awesome

love my system too, 6" with Clam adapter

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sadly, mine wasn't a hammer drill. Dewalt had a hammer drill for $300. But, it didn't have the extra battery, it was a dewalt, I already have a corded hammer drill and only use it like once every few years anyway. So, I went Milwaukee. It definitely felt like a more solid piece of equipment.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Added the 6" to my kdrill set this year. Intensions were to use 6 for lakes with mostly pan fish. Haven't tried it yet but the 8 zoomed through 30" easily the other day on 10 holes. How do you like the 6" guywhohaskdrillandwillprobablyneverreturntogas? I would imagine 15+ holes with a 5amp and 30"?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much money do you guyz have invested in this unit including the extra batteries?Is it cost effective when compared to the Ion auger or the strike master electric? what good is a 6" hole? used one years ago and lost more fish that bumped off@ the hole trying to pull it up.

Personnally I can't just popp a few holes and hope for the best,we usually work over structure area's by popping a couple dozen holes at a crack to find/keep on fish and keep moving once they leave (walleyes),50 to 100 holes is the average per day.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the bit and the drill with 3 batteries I have about 550 into it. If you count all the batteries I have over a grand into it but all the tools including the drill are all used for work when I'm not on the ice. Most of my batteries came with promotional deals when I bought other tools to go with my setup. I have days on the job site when I don't have power and I will go though 8 batteries.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that makes a lot of sense for Kickemup. Having to carry around all those extra batteries would drive me crazy though.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if you wait for the right deals you can get the setup for under $500. But then you also have a top of the line drill for the rest of the year. I keep hoping my craftsman drill takes a dump so I have an excuse to get the Milwaukee

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Added the 6" to my kdrill set this year. Intensions were to use 6 for lakes with mostly pan fish. Haven't tried it yet but the 8 zoomed through 30" easily the other day on 10 holes. How do you like the 6" guywhohaskdrillandwillprobablyneverreturntogas? I would imagine 15+ holes with a 5amp and 30"?

i have the Honda Lite 8" as backup - no complaints there - other than 21 lb and warmup needed

15 easy

once I locate fish I love buzzing a second hole for the transducer and never fishing the puck out every time I hook up - especially panfish

6" kdrill is ideal for scouting - light, fast, no warmup - move, drill, fish, repeat

if you find a place you'll stay then whip the 8" out - or drill the 2nd puck hole for sure

- - - Updated - - -

6" is nearly cutting in half the amount of ice removal of an 8"
28 square inches vs 50

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
So far I really like the Jiffy propane I'm borrowing. Would like to try the Honda lite but then I'm back to gas again, not ideal. Will never have a 10" auger ever again though. Fishing is nice but safety a huge concern. Almost lost a boot one day when I stepped in almost to my knee and nearly couldn't get back out. And now with young kids, it's a no brainer.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
So far I really like the Jiffy propane I'm borrowing. Would like to try the Honda lite but then I'm back to gas again, not ideal. Will never have a 10" auger ever again though. Fishing is nice but safety a huge concern. Almost lost a boot one day when I stepped in almost to my knee and nearly couldn't get back out. And now with young kids, it's a no brainer.

This is is why I went to a 8inch hole also.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Home of Economy has the Ion for $499 plus 15% off so $425. They also have the 10" auger flyting for $150

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I nearly bought the ion with a 15% off. But I got my 8 inch kdrill, Milwaukee and 3 batteries for $510 plus tax. I figured it to be a slightly better deal since I now have anot her drill and that kdrill chipper style blade chews through ice and is likely to way outlast the ion shavers. Plus it's lighter. Glad I finally bit the bullet.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
Just got an 8 incher today was the first real test got 16 holes in 30 plus inches of ice on one battery. Absolutely love the set up. Gas is only backup now.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone used a 110 V corded drill ? I carry a generator in the pickup most of the time anyway and already have a couple HD 110 V drills and don't really need another cordless drill. I could always pick up a Milwaukee cordless later on if I need to.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone used a 110 V corded drill ? I carry a generator in the pickup most of the time anyway and already have a couple HD 110 V drills and don't really need another cordless drill. I could always pick up a Milwaukee cordless later on if I need to.

It it would probably work just have to make sure it has a rpm of 500 of so.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33