knives

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use fishing electric for big beast cuts like SDMF does - what could be easier/straighter?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electric knives work well for chicken/turkey deconstruction as well.

I'm a self-admitted knife-snob, but, that doesn't mean I don't also choose the easiest and most convenient tool for the job.

#$9newblades

And no, I don't use a fuggin' Havalon or any of it's competitors ever for anything.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
All anyone really needs is one of them fancy sharpeners and a stack of credit cards. I seen it on one o' them 3am knowledgeable how to shows. Frozen ribs and fish fillets are a breeze and BOY O BOY does them sharpened credit cards do a number on them color enhanced "ripe" tomatoes or gelatin injected grapes. Got three of'em on order as gifts for "special friends" along with a subscription to buckmasters.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Karmins kitchen in Bismarck I believe sells both wustof and shun and will let you try them out. I've had both and got rid of my wustoff after I had shun. You can send in shun for sharpening as many times as you want. Will prepare or replace any defects. Pretty decent customer service. If I remember it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get them back.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
please hand in your man card if you can't sharpen your knives this day/age

- - - Updated - - -

;)

- - - Updated - - -

sort of

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wustof is available at Ace Hardware kitchen side of the store, Bismarck. I have a very old set of Chicago cutlery and have not needed or wanted to upgrade from that.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a set of Cutco knives that have been very good for me. I also use my Rapala filet knife for boning meat, etc. but I don't leave it in the kitchen for my wife to use. She has no concern for what she cuts on and then I have to resharpen to often.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
thank u all for the information! looks like ill be going to check these knives out locally.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
totally agree with Wustof. Have 4 different ones and they are awesome. Stay away from any new Chicago Cutlery.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would also agree that Wustof are my favorite. I have the Chefs, both sizes of the Santoku, the steak knives, boning knife, and the fillet knife. Hold an edge really well and easy to sharpen.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cutco is my favorite knives I got the kitchen set the fillet knives and the buck knives also carry the pocket knife everyday

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
20+ years ago before Craigslist and eBay selling online became so popular the wife and I started going to yard sales. Soon that turned to primarily Estate Sales because there were many more good items for sale cheap. I went after knives and probably ended up with 200+ good knives. Here is my $.02.

1. I use an Accusharp to keep an edge on all my knives. Works great and just a few strokes will give you an incredible sharp knife every time. I have 2 barbers strops, but do not use them. Too much hastle.
IMG_2500.jpg

2. This is my carving knife for prime rib, brisket, trip-tip, etc. I don't keep it in a block so I keep a sheath on it. Either keep your knives in a block or in a sheath, never on a drawer with the edge not covered/protected. This is a Dexter Russell with a 12" blade. I bought it at a flea market for $.50. The handle had a cut right behind the blade so no one would buy it for resale. I just filled the cut with SuperGlue, trimmed the excess off and it is hardly noticeable. The blade was serrated when I bought it but I ground the serrations off the blade slowly making 1 pass on a fine grinding stone and then wiping the blade with a wet cloth so as to never heat the blade enough to lose the temper. It is an EXCELLANT slicing knife and very easy to keep sharp.
IMG_2501.jpg

3. Always cut on a surface that your knife can cut into. If your knife isn't cutting into your cutting surface, your cutting surface is dulling your knife blade. Those are the only 2 options when using a cutting surface. I always us a wood board and oil it with mineral oil from a drug store. Baby oil without the scent. Never use vegetable oil because it can go rancid. Never use a petroleum based oil or stain because they are toxic.

4. Always hand wash and dry knives and cutting boards. The high temps and humidity in dishwashers will dull knives faster than using a plate for a cutting surface.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Aways hand wash and dry knives and cutting boards. The high temps and humidity in dishwashers will dull knives faster than using a plate for a cutting surface."

Is there a spouse out there that cares for knives like they should be taken care of? I always, ALWAYS have to care for my ''special'' knives or they get tossed in with the other utensils and will be dull in a week seems like. I don't let her use them, I don't let her wash them and I sure as hell ain't gonna let her sharpen them. NO TOUCH!! I actually have a separate knife block in a cabinet above the refridgerator. She can't reach them.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a set of RADA knifes that a friend bought us for a wedding gift back in 1996. Still have them and they still work well. Even came with their own sharpening wheels that will lay a good edge in just a few swipes.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
wustoff knives are great. I have a very nice filet knife made by wustoff. That being said, I'll never use anything other than a dalstrong for slicing meat for the table. I bought one of these and absolutely love it. After two years of pretty heavy use I finally put a steel to it for a whopping 3 strokes on each side of the blade and she's slicing like new.

https://dalstrong.com/products/gs-1...0CQmhWafutt4IfT0ZhYoaiEy_iPt1cKRoCW_wQAvD_BwE This is the one that I have.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
please hand in your man card if you can't sharpen your knives this day/age

- - - Updated - - -

;)

- - - Updated - - -

sort of

Shun actually recommends you dont sharpen their knives. They found that people screw them up and end up sending them in cause they wont stay sharp

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
thank u all for the advice and tips.. cant wait to go knife shopping!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88