ice fishing noob, need help

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all,

Ice fishing noob here. I was giving my grandpas old ice fishing set up (nothing fancy, old poles and an ancient ice auger lol) and I would really like to go out and try it sometime, but really have no idea what im doing. How do u know where to set up on a lake, or where to target fish at? Don't really care what I catch, just want to be able to have a shot at catching something.

I drive by aaroda lakes, and harmon lake all the time and hardly ever see anyone on them. The stocking report looks like there should be some fish in them. Any suggestions, tips or tricks on how to get them to bite? How do u fish for perch, crappie and the like? Not looking for anyones honey holes, but just trying to have a better shot at catching some fish when I go try.

TIA for the help, happy ice fishing all,

ktm450

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Have you fished at all or just haven’t ice fished?

Have done a little shore fishing, but not much. Usually get bored to quick and move onto something else. Ha

Ice fishing I have very little experience with.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright, well I don’t fish nearly as much as I hunt but, when I’m looking for fish, I’m generally looking for structure that will hold them. Drop Offs, etc. I’m guessing you don’t have anything electronic to find them so you’re gonna be doing it kind of blind. Perch will be near the bottom, crappies are usually suspended, sometimes just right under the ice. You would have an extremely tough time finding crappies without a sonar of some sort. Live minnows below bobbers on jigs would be my go to if I were you, anywhere from right on the bottom to 6 inches off. You’d gain a lot if you could find someone to go with.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
First and foremost, make sure your auger will run and cut before you venture a long ways. Dont worry so much about catching fish at first, just have fun doing it and get used to using what you have. You can learn and see alot on the web, but until you actually get out there and experience it is another thing. In your case, getting bored quick and wanting to move onto other things, I would suggest you find a lake with an almost guaranteed catch of some sort, even if small. You may not get bored and can learn in the process. Just have fun and good luck.

nybs

Honored Member
I agree with Ghost...if you can tag along with someone first time you will learn a lot of the basics just to get you fishing. Make sure your auger runs before going anywhere. game & Fish website you can get lake maps, stocking reports etc. Watch some of the videos & reports posted on the homepage, and be careful! Ice is always changing. Good luck.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Alright, well I don’t fish nearly as much as I hunt but, when I’m looking for fish, I’m generally looking for structure that will hold them. Drop Offs, etc. I’m guessing you don’t have anything electronic to find them so you’re gonna be doing it kind of blind. Perch will be near the bottom, crappies are usually suspended, sometimes just right under the ice. You would have an extremely tough time finding crappies without a sonar of some sort. Live minnows below bobbers on jigs would be my go to if I were you, anywhere from right on the bottom to 6 inches off. You’d gain a lot if you could find someone to go with.

Thanks for the advice! No, no electronics. Might have to get some if I turn to liking this ice fishing stuff.

First and foremost, make sure your auger will run and cut before you venture a long ways. Dont worry so much about catching fish at first, just have fun doing it and get used to using what you have. You can learn and see alot on the web, but until you actually get out there and experience it is another thing. In your case, getting bored quick and wanting to move onto other things, I would suggest you find a lake with an almost guaranteed catch of some sort, even if small. You may not get bored and can learn in the process. Just have fun and good luck.

Thanks for the pointers. I got the carb cleaned on auger and new blade. Might be older then dirt but it seems to run good. lol I have been trying to do some research and watching videos on the internet. Not sure why they make it all look so dang easy. Yes boredom happens way to fast most of the times, im a busy body and have to keep moving/doing something. Any suggestions on a place to go where I a rookie even has a good chances of catching?

I agree with Ghost...if you can tag along with someone first time you will learn a lot of the basics just to get you fishing. Make sure your auger runs before going anywhere. game & Fish website you can get lake maps, stocking reports etc. Watch some of the videos & reports posted on the homepage, and be careful! Ice is always changing. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice also, that's prolly why I have never taken up ice fishing really. Ice scares the crap out of me.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to crooked lake. Tons of pike and small perch to keep you interested. Maybe nothing you would want to keep but you'll be catching. And last but not least you'll be doing a service to yourself to find someone to go with that has experience. When you see a little kid holding stringers of giant fish it's not cause that kid is a fishing whiz but because his dad is that took him. If you know someone with experience they are usually more than happy to show you what a great fisherman they are.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Watch out for pressure ridges. Don't want your first ice fishing trip to be your last.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Watch out for pressure ridges. Don't want your first ice fishing trip to be your last.

thanks for the info, im hoping that with the cold weather we have been having that the ice should be pretty thick on the lakes now?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
thanks for the info, im hoping that with the cold weather we have been having that the ice should be pretty thick on the lakes now?

Most places there is plenty of ice, and generally good ice this year. Still, always use caution.

Lazerwolf77

Where are you located ? I'm in Lincoln but will probably head out to beaver bay tomorrow pm me if you'd like to come along ...I'm no expert but beaver has been pretty decent to me this year

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Where are you located ? I'm in Lincoln but will probably head out to beaver bay tomorrow pm me if you'd like to come along ...I'm no expert but beaver has been pretty decent to me this year

Dang, should have looked at this over the weekend. Thanks for the offer, im in Mandan. How did u do?

I did end up going out on Saturday for a bit. Had prolly one of the best ice fishing experiences ever. Had steady perch action all day (no keepers), but I never got bored. And to top it off I landed my biggest fish thru the ice. I was jigging and a fish hit the line hard. drag was set loose and this fish started pulling line out like crazy. was a 15 minute battle, every time he came to the hole he took off again, finally got him thru the ice. Ended up being a 5+ pound (just guessing didn't have a scale) northern. Made the day and trip worth it, even if it was cold as h*ll out

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is great :) Glad you had fun and didnt get bored lol. I am sure you learned and figured a few things out on your own. Now just remember that good day with lots of action, because as a fisherman you will get days with none lol. That is when you have to get past the boredom, keep searching/trying/learning as you go, and remember to remind yourself you are having fun. If your not enjoying the day fishing,just think, you could have been working instead. :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88