Lake Sakakawea - Local nickname locations of fishing spots???

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friends and I make up names for a lot of our favorite spots.

The giant redwood, deep throat, food shelf, Peggy's hole, shits and giggles, Northern alley, the steeple, 50 flats, ect.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do understand THAT. I wish I could take a few of you guys to "Peacock Dick" and observe/instruct while I drank Michelob Heavy. It's a real place and could be done. I just now christened it "Peacock Dick". You would understand if you were there because there's peacocks and a long "hidden" point. It's like a peacock dick except much larger and submerged. I believe it would look like a penis on a satellite image: A huge penis. Imagine in your mind a huge penis then multiply X 1000. Also imagine hanging for your life from this penis. That's horrible but an effective way to fish that point with worms at night. I'm using penis metaphors to illustrate nighttime angling strategies from the "Friendly Bitch".

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took some pics the last couple months of some places you might know.

sak1.jpg
sak 2.jpg
sak 3.jpg
sak 4.jpg
sak 5.jpg
sak 6.jpg
sak 7.jpg
sak 8.jpg
sak 9.jpg
sak 10.jpg
sak 11.jpg
sak 12.jpg
sak 13.jpg
sak 14.jpg
sak 15.jpg
sak 16.jpg
sak 17.jpg
sak 18.jpg
sak 19.jpg
sak 20.jpg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do understand THAT. I wish I could take a few of you guys to "Peacock Dick" and observe/instruct while I drank Michelob Heavy. It's a real place and could be done. I just now christened it "Peacock Dick". You would understand if you were there because there's peacocks and a long "hidden" point. It's like a peacock dick except much larger and submerged. I believe it would look like a penis on a satellite image. A huge penis. Imagine in your mind a huge penis then multiply X 1000. Also imagine hanging for your life from this penis. That's horrible but an effective way to fish that point with worms at night. I'm using penis metaphors to illustrate nighttime angling strategies from the "Friendly Bitch".

- - - Updated - - -

A couple of Moose West of Indian hills on Saturday. Nothing like catching nice piggie eyes with moose in the backround. They hung around for about 10 min.
IMG_1030 (006).jpg

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

In all seriousness; the kid with the ice cream says it all about your pics and summer in general. Good stuff.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great photos. And why I prefer it over any lake I fish. It can melt all of the stress away

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a scenic lake and those were great pics. I recognize a couple spots, only taken 3 summers. Might be fun to make up names of spots for reports.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's up with the lack of hang gliding in this area? Is the wind TOO strong?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Southwest anglers put out a map years back. It has a majority of know spots with the local names on them.
It is available at Andrus outdoors, Mckenzie bay marina, I think Dakota tackle.

I bought one 15 yrs ago when I moved west, helped a lot.

walleyeND

Ok, since I am new to fishing Lake Sakakawea I am trying to wrap my brain around all the local nicknames people, over time, have ordained certain spots on Lake Sakakawea. When talking with people, they have expressed locations on where they have had fishing success, which would be great information if I had a frame of reference on what location on the lake they were talking about. Everyone (at no fault of their own) assume I know all these areas.

So, to my inquiry, is there a map of some sort that outlines/highlights some of these local nicknames I have encountered? Some examples are:

Deacon Point
Beacon Point (I know there are several)
Pepsi Sign
The Cross
The Flats
Charging Bay
Rocky Bluffs
Spur Bay
Tolly's Point
Beacon Island

These are just a few of the names I have heard. If there is an unofficial map identifying these locations that someone could post, I would appreciate it.

d1

It's from 2004 but this should help:
http://bismarcktribune.com/news/sta...cle_51d7664f-38fb-57ba-acb9-4e3e82390417.html

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before mapping. Took the parents out by stein ke cent area. I was messing around with a rig or something. My mother goes u float out any more and we will be in simpson lake. I am like what sure enough the graph showed and old shoreline. She knew exactly where it was how she walked down to it as a kid etc

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure most have seen this map but it is always nice to put this up for those who haven't

Capture.jpg
https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/fishing/missouririveraccess/sakoverview.pdf
Feel free to add in names on the map below. ;:;popcornI will be headed up to Van Hook this weekend#$%^&>
Never fished there before so it should be a fun to learn the area.
van hook.jpg
GPS position are welcome too with what type of lures, colors and bait were being used to catch them piggies:::

Attachments

van hook.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sig, I might be headed up as well. I've never been there either so I'm going to fish the nets.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the sounds of things, seems like it does not matter where you go, unless you are with me. I have been on an epic pike bite. Going to take the wife out tomorrow for her first ever Sakakawea trip and only 2nd time out since we moved here. Probably New Town.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too all the peeps in the Van Hook area over the weekend....where are you staying?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55